PDA

View Full Version : Do you let the browser remember your passwords?

Syxx_Killer
03-04-10, 10:09 AM
I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on letting the browser remember your passwords? I have been using it for a little bit now and while it is convenient I can't get the idea out of the back of my head that if my browser is ever compromised the passwords may be able to be taken. I don't visit shady sites but malware can come from just about anywhere anymore. I've deleted the passwords in Opera and Chrome and told those browsers not to remember passwords anymore. I have IE8 but don't really use it so that is a non-issue. I am using Firefox right now using the ******* Plus addon so it is safer (but not fool proof). I've been writing my passwords in a notebook on my desk for a long time now, so I rarely ever have to use a password retrieval link. What are your thoughts?

JSLTIGER
03-04-10, 10:21 AM
I've been doing it for years now...the convenience factor is what hooked me. I'm the only one who ever uses my computers, so it's not something that I worry about.

frau kaleun
03-04-10, 12:32 PM
My main issue with letting the computer remember login information would be, what if someone else gets on my computer and pulls up, say, my online banking website out of my history or favorites and then can login as me because the info is filled in automatically.

But I have password protection via Windows at startup, so there's really not much chance of someone else firing up my computer and having access to anything at all.

I don't actually have the browser remember my login info, though, since I use Norton 360 and it includes that functionality and also allows for additional password protection of any usernames and passwords it stores. If I didn't have that feature however I'd let the browser remember it, but only because I know I'm the only person that's ever likely to be websurfing on the computer in the first place.

AVGWarhawk
03-04-10, 02:52 PM
Just my good old websites do I use the remember function. Financial institutions or places on the internet were I pay my bills I do not use the remember function.

Wolfehunter
03-04-10, 03:11 PM
For my forums yes. For serious stuff no.

Arclight
03-04-10, 06:01 PM
Nope, nothing important anyway. Not even my subsim credentials. :)

Only things I allow to remember a pass are games; lately games like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age require a log-in, those I just let it remember.

CaptainHaplo
03-04-10, 06:24 PM
It gets to remember my subsim logon - but thats it. Nothing else.

Reece
03-04-10, 06:52 PM
Yes, have been doing it for years, COMODO is very good with Defence+ turned on!:yep:

Syxx_Killer
03-04-10, 06:54 PM
For the most part I am the only user of my computer. I guess I am just being paranoid again. Thanks, guys! :DL

kiwi_2005
03-05-10, 06:36 PM
I use the master password option. Just have to type it in every time you enter a site. But if your browser gets hack or whateva they can't access your saved password unless they know the master password. And the MP is not saved in your browser.