PDA

View Full Version : Constant Connection..... well well..

3DDevil
03-04-10, 06:47 AM
Well,

I bit the bullet and purchased this half finished game.... and I knew you needed constant internet access.... I am on Bigpond ultra fast connection (which is the biggest provider in this country)... I though OK no problem I have a stable connection......

Nope.... in 3 hours of playing I have been booted out of my mission about 20 times.... so frustrating!!! and a total game killer...

I own ROF and never had these issues and thier servers were in Russia!!...

Maybe UBI checks for connection every few seconds where the russians only every few minutes?? Which ROF saw the error in thier ways and have now patched the constant connection out...

I dont know... looks like this one will be sitting on the shelves because I cannot return it to the shops... so says the sales rep, because of the constant online thing!!...

Nordmann
03-04-10, 06:50 AM
Ouch mate, you should have stayed well away, at least for the time being. Hopefully this fiasco will be resolved, as it was with ROF (which I also avoided, because of DRM), and their OSP decommissioned. Time will tell, but it's not looking good for them thus far, a lot of bad press.

Letum
03-04-10, 06:52 AM
Don't expect Ubisoft to care or change now they have your cash.

Let that be a lesson to others.
:shifty:

Feuer Frei!
03-04-10, 06:53 AM
When people talk about "constant" connection it amuses me slightly, not from a SchadenFreude kind of way, but...
there simply is no constant connection...
i used to have a ADSL1 "connection" with Optus, fast but...not constant.
Hell, it's even worse now, on wireless link, not even going near SH5! (Yet) :-?
As i'm sure most of you are aware, a constant connection and speed (which might i add is a min/recomm. requirement also by game) is affected by a number of things:

Quality of the phone line at your residence. Neighborhoods with better copper wiring can achieve somewhat faster DSL speeds.
Length of the phone line between the residence and the phone company hub (often called "central office"). DSL technology is "distance sensitive" because its performance decreases significantly as you get further away from this hub.
Service glitches. While normally a constant, DSL speed can suddendly drop if the service provider has technical difficulty with their network. Speeds should return to normal after a few minutes or hours.

Also, but more controllable:

Spyware on computer(s). Even when the DSL network may be functioning at full speed, spyware programs may be consuming the bandwidth, robbing your DSL speed. Anti-spyware programs should be run regularly on networks to prevent this problem.
Mis-configured wired or wireless router. Routers sit between your computers and the Internet connection. If not functioning properly, a router can greatly limit the DSL speed achievable on all computers. Temporarily connecting a computer directly to the Internet can help diagnose this situation.
Slow wireless network connection. In extreme cases, a very slow wi-fi connection between a computer and a wireless home network will not keep pace with the speed of the DSL Internet connection. Improving the quality of the Wi-Fi connection will solve this problem.
Old computer(s). Very old computers lacking sufficient processing power or memory cannot keep pace with a high-speed DSL connection. You can verify this problem by comparing the DSL speed between computers at the residence.

3DDevil
03-04-10, 06:57 AM
When people talk about "constant" connection it amuses me slightly, not from a SchadenFreude kind of way, but...
there simply is no constant connection...
i used to have a ADSL1 "connection" with Optus, fast but...not constant.
Hell, it's even worse now, on wireless link, not even going near SH5! (Yet) :-?

Yeah I guess I should have said... I have wireless with a USB key in my computer. I never noticed any problem before, surfing around etc... but now... I can see it certainly isnt CONSTANT!! other than a CONSTANT headache.... and a pain in my wallet!!! To make things worse my car windscreen got smashed by a truck throwing up a rock on the way to purchasing this half AS*D game!!! DOH!! :damn:

Feuer Frei!
03-04-10, 07:08 AM
Wireless sucks, even general browsing etc it throws me out occasionally, and i'm not far away from the receiver...try about 10 metres!
Other issue of course is that if the main modem of household where you are "tapping" into with your w-fi is suddenly needing a re-boot, well...no SH5!
Worse still, if you don't have access to that modem to reboot yourself, :cry:

Yskonyn
03-04-10, 07:22 AM
I think 'constant' in this context is not the contant quality of throughput of the network, but the 'constant alive connection' regardless of quality.

Feuer Frei!
03-04-10, 07:50 AM
'constant alive connection' regardless of quality.
...and that is what i am talking about, overall.