PDA

View Full Version : Steam version is English only!!!

Vanagen
03-03-10, 10:39 PM
Steam version apparently only has English voices...

No separate install option.

If there's no way to get the German voices, I'm asking for a refund.

:damn: :damn: :damn:

Vanagen
03-03-10, 11:07 PM
Sent an e-mail to Steam support.

I fear for the worst.

Luckily, I have a pre-ordered copy on disc underway (for my da').

I'll install the game from the DVD and salvage the serial number from the botched Steam installation.

CCIP
03-03-10, 11:32 PM
Have you seen these files anywhere, as described by Neal?

When you install the game, you get a choice of German or English voices. To switch, you need to reinstall or you can add them manually from the game disc.
SilentHunter 5\data\LngGameData\Voices\German\data\movies
SilentHunter 5\data\LngGameData\Voices\German\data\sound
Just copy them over to the right location.

Superbus
03-04-10, 01:01 AM
Verdammt! I installed the Steam version but I didn't see the CUSTOM-option for German voices anywhere. I deleted local content and I'm downloading again (8 Gt....) as we speak. It must be there somewhere. Or maybe you have to switch your Steam language to German. I'll try everything.

I'm going to have to go and buy another copy on DVD if German voices are not included with the Steam version. If they are not, well, they could have mentioned that this is a crippled version. German voices are a must.

+++ Edit: Wait, I still have the press preview-version on DVD. I know it has the German voices. I can probably copy them manually.

Parkera
03-04-10, 01:05 AM
If you open your steam games tab r click on the SH5 select properties the last tab has an option to select which language to play in.
TRY THAT it may work...I will later but I need to get some other things sorted on this

Superbus
03-04-10, 01:34 AM
If you open your steam games tab r click on the SH5 select properties the last tab has an option to select which language to play in.
TRY THAT it may work...I will later but I need to get some other things sorted on this

I just did that. There are a number languages available. This probably changes UI and everything else to German. I only want voices, just like in the press preview. I gave it a shot and it started downloading something...

+++ Edit: Yes, it changes EVERYTHING to German. Not what I want. Back to English, then I try to copy the German voices from the preview DVD I have.

Ship Hunter
03-04-10, 01:45 AM
Then copy the german voice files now to an extra directory (as described above) download it in english again and overwrite the files or activate the german speech with JSGME.

Where's the problem?!

kylania
03-04-10, 01:57 AM
D2D version doesn't have them "on disc", but probably in the data2.cab which doesn't open normally. Anyone know what opens that file?

Superbus
03-04-10, 02:09 AM
Then copy the german voice files now to an extra directory (as described above) download it in english again and overwrite the files or activate the german speech with JSGME.

Great minds think alike - I just thought of it myself. I also decided to keep the intro video in German.

russ555
03-04-10, 04:42 AM
D2D version doesn't have them "on disc", but probably in the data2.cab which doesn't open normally. Anyone know what opens that file?

I think you can open it/extract everything in it with WinRar, not sure though.

piri_reis
03-04-10, 04:51 AM
Steam not having the option, now that is scandalous...

No Winrar or Winzip or anything didn't open D2D Cab files. It must be a ubi proprietary format.

The installation asking for voices and keyboard preference is very poor programming. Why not just make it an in-game option. I have to reinstall to get them, wth! I hate to say it but I'm coming to the conclusion these people are pretty brainless. :stare:

Frederf
03-04-10, 05:13 AM
Likely the suits didn't realize that German/English voices is actually a feature and not simply a nationalization issue. Not all German gamers want German voices and not all English gamers want English voices, which is the normal assumption made in software deployment.

If the worst comes to it then I guarantee you that Subsim members will happily provide you with a German language mod package.

Davion
03-04-10, 05:22 AM
Replacing English voices with German voices

You may want to back up the folders: 'Sound\Speech' and 'Movies\Intro' in the main data folder.

1. Navigate to: '\steamapps\common\silent hunter 5\data\LngGameData\Voices\German\Data'
2. Create a new ZIP file in the directory and name it whatever you want, then drag both Movies and Sound folders into your newly created ZIP file to compress them.
3. Once compression is complete, cut and paste the ZIP into the main directory ('steamapps\common\silent hunter 5\data'), extract the contents making sure whatever program you are using keeps the current pathnames and folder structure. As it begins to extract you should get a prompt asking you to overwrite all the files, obviously you should accept.

This will overwrite all the speech, and also replace the English intro cinematic with the German language version. If you want an English intro cinematic then refrain from dragging the Movies folder into your ZIP file when you are creating it.