PDA

View Full Version : I already gave up on SH5

Drifter
03-03-10, 09:34 PM
This is not a thread to bash SH5. I just though I would post my personal experience for those of you here who are considering buying SH5.

I hate to admit it, but I bought SH5 on impulse due to all the initial excitement, and am now sorry I did so. I feel totally ripped-off. The game is broken, unfinished, and buggy beyond belief. Much worse than when SH3 was first released. Poor frame rates. The interface is so terribly hellish and makes no sense at all. Probably the worst I have ever seen in a game. The rpg element is really ridiculous, too.

So I have already uninstalled SH5 and am coming back to that wonderful SH3. I am tired of paying to be a beta tester. Maybe someday SH5 will be as good as SH3, but I am seriously having doubts that modders can save it. I guess time will tell.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163024

sergei
03-03-10, 09:54 PM
You may well be right.
Straight out of the box it is not a satisfying game.
People may have to come back in a year or 2 to get satisfaction.

Vipper
03-03-10, 10:35 PM
SH3 GWX is all i need anyway.

Damo
03-04-10, 12:43 AM
All I see SH5 doing is creating more interest in SH3 and SH4 with their well established and ever evolving mod community. All those people who wouldn't have normally bought a sub sim will try SH5, be let down and come to places like Subsim to find answers, instead, they'll see what has been done with the earlier games and probably go and buy them instead. After a couple of years when the bugs and mods have been dealt with, they may dust off SH5 again, all depends on how easy it is to mod/fix.

SH3/4 will be the ultimate winners I believe, and that can't be a bad thing. GO UBI!!

Snestorm
03-04-10, 01:14 AM
I'm glad I gave up on that mess.

SH3, you're the greatest!

Apache312
03-04-10, 11:43 AM
Welcome back Gentlemen.

/S

Apache312

sharkbit
03-04-10, 12:24 PM
I'll be sticking with SH3+GWX and SH4+RFB+RSRD for a while myself but I wonder....:hmmm:

How many threads like this were posted when SH3 and SH4 were first released?

I'm optimistic-give SH5 some time and it may become a great and fun game to play after patches and mods. Yeah, it will have a different feel but it sounds like the game has some potential. It may take a couple of years before it realizes its full potential though.
I'm staying hopeful.:sunny:

:)

Damo
03-04-10, 01:16 PM
SH3 is the benchmark. If SH5 makes just half that journey, it'll be worth playing, patience is a virtue, impatience and impulse buying is what causes these games to be released unfinished in the first place.

Grab the cash, ignore the complaints.

Sailor Steve
03-04-10, 03:14 PM
How many threads like this were posted when SH3 and SH4 were first released?
SH3 got complaints comparing it to AOTD, but the eye candy muted those somewhat. And the only other game it could be compared to was SH2, alongside which it was a vast improvement.

SH4 was an improvement to SH3 in some areas, but the complaints were that it didn't fix some of the obvious problems, and it broke some things that weren't broken before. So it fared badly, and some folks still haven't given it a second chance and still say bad things about it in spite of the great mods.

SH5 is taking a pounding, but as I see it, if it is as easy to mod as they say it is, it could end up making them all look bad.

We'll see.

Jimbuna
03-04-10, 03:56 PM
Give it 6 to 12 months, a patch or two and some modding...then we'll see for sure http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

KL-alfman
03-04-10, 04:42 PM
Give it 6 to 12 months, a patch or two and some modding...then we'll see for sure http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

wouldn't March reveal all for us? :D:03:

Iron Budokan
03-04-10, 04:42 PM
SH3 and SH4 both got tagged with being "buggy" upon release. But there was nothing like the current imbroglio over SH5, I'm afraid.

That game is being shredded for the most part by people who feel they were ripped off. :cry:

frau kaleun
03-04-10, 05:24 PM

It seems to have revealed that we'll need another 6-12 months, a patch or two and some modding. :O:

Sailor Steve
03-04-10, 07:43 PM
Which is 'all'.:sunny:

PappyCain
03-04-10, 09:04 PM
I'll wait and stave off the frustration. Every new sub in real life brings both advances and issues that bubble up from sea time until the Planning Yard can get a fix on the alterations and re-designs right.

:salute:

Ducimus
03-04-10, 10:11 PM
Just have to say, SH3 wasn't always all peachy keen. It has years worth of modding on it. One wouldn't know it if they discovered the game after supermods were already well developed. Thats just how the SH series seems to work. Buggy and fubar at launch, then it gets 4 patch's , two supermods, and adorned with partridge in a pear tree by a slew of independent modders.

KL-alfman
03-05-10, 04:48 AM
It seems to have revealed that we'll need another 6-12 months, a patch or two and some modding. :O:

which delays my order of a new rig as well.
I'm glad I could save some money for a while ......

RConch
03-05-10, 07:47 AM
For me still on 56k dial up, this game will have to go "Gold" for the patches included and they need to get rid of that DRM. My hard drive can store their game as well or better than they can.
I just can't wait to tell my wife she can't use the phone cause I am on a game.:damn:
Sorry, I got to wait on this purchase.
Back to SH 3 with GWX.

NIGHTFIGHTER
03-05-10, 02:53 PM
Hi Folks, been out of the forum for what feels a lifetime. I was in Tesco today and saw SH5 so dived for the wallet, then i suddenly stoped and thought first ill see what me good mates on subsim had to say about it.
Glad i did, from the posts ive seen it looks like the game has been rushed out too soon. I think ill wait a while, it will in the end be like so many other games sorted out and improved by people with alot more computer know-how than me. Until that day im with what Viper said SH3 and GWX is still the most awesome subsim.

Deputy
03-05-10, 03:08 PM
I consider myself fortuante that I can go over to a friend's house and play SH5 on his computer to "try it out". Saves me $50. He has a full bore high end gaming computer, so it shouldn't be handicapped by an inadequate system. I read some of the complaints in the SH5 forum section and they were disturbing to put it mildly. Some complained about bugs that existed in SHIII and IV that are STILL in SHV. Not good. The manual seems to be a bad joke with many inaccuracies and info left out.

Personally, I can do without the "walk through the sub" feature. I used to live in Chicago, IL and took numerous walks through the captured U-505 they had at the Museum of Science and Industry. It was cool, but doing it on a computer, no thanks. Also, the interaction with the crew seems a bit silly. I'm hunting enemy ships, not "hanging out with the guys". I have enough to worry abvout with enemy aircraft and enemy ships. I understand there are bugs galore. One being when you command the WO to man the deck guns or flak guns, nobody complies. HUH??? I will have them keel-hauled for that infraction!!! Supposedly the workaround is to spot the enemy planes with the binoculars and then they comply. There is also a bug where you tell the WO to unman the deck and flak guns and the gunners don't leave. No problem there. Just submerge the boat and let them go for a swim back to port. :D

It's gonna be hard for SHV to come close to SHIII with GWX. I'm willing to give it a chance. But hokey features are NOT going to win me over. I'm with those who say give it a year before buying it. I picked up SHIII for $20 from E-Bay and liked it so much I bought a second copy, which is still sealed in the plastic shrink wrap. :DL

I'll report back here on first impressions of SHV after I get done checking it out.

Dep

Deputy
03-05-10, 03:12 PM
Oh yeah....I was wondering....is it true that SHV requires you to maintain an interent connection in order to operate? Or is that just for updates?

frau kaleun
03-05-10, 03:14 PM
Oh yeah....I was wondering....is it true that SHV requires you to maintain an interent connection in order to operate?

Yes, it's true. You will find more information about this issue in the SH5 forums here, where it has been a topic of discussion, consternation, indignation, occasional jubilation, and a whole lotta other -ations ever since it was announced prior to the game's release.

Deputy
03-05-10, 03:25 PM
Yes, it's true. You will find more information about this issue in the SH5 forums here, where it has been a topic of discussion, consternation, indignation, occasional jubilation, and a whole lotta other -ations ever since it was announced prior to the game's release.

Well that sux...pardon my language. Obviously Ubisoft didn't learn anything from the Jutland fiasco. I saw this on one of the game review websites:

One thing did strike me as very odd whilst researching this game; this is an online single player game. Yep, you read correctly, you have to be connected to the internet, AND sign up for an account with Ubisoft to play Silent Hunter 5. What if you don't have internet access? Too bad! What if, while playing the game, your internet crashes? Then the game will pause itself until it is reconnected, and if that doesn't work, Ubisoft's server will 'remember' your last save game and you can resume playing your SINGLE player campaign, right after you connect to the world wide web and sign into your account. In my opinion, this just sounds like a terrible idea. Yes, an internet connection is vital for multiplayer modes, and even then it is not required whilst playing on a LAN, but multiplayer is exactly where it should stay!

If there is one fault I can find so far with this latest submersible offering, this is it; no internet connection, no dice. Don't get me wrong, the many pros outweigh the one con, and when you think about it; what game doesn't have good points and bad points.
-------------------------
Amazing that Ubisoft has so little trust in us. That's the thanks we get for remaining loyal to their games? I know game piracy is a big problem in the gaming industry, but isn't this just another Starforce scam? Does Ubisoft think that "creative programmers" won't find a workaround for this online requirement? How many other games and gaming companies had online servers and then eventually shut them down because of lack of $$$? If that happens, we LOSE SHV???? $50 down the toilet. I don't think so. :nope:

frau kaleun
03-05-10, 03:40 PM
It's not just SH5, it's all Ubisoft releases from here on out unless they change their minds about it.

Of course there is always the possibility that after the "high sales" period following a new release has passed, and the presumed possibility of additional major sales losses due to piracy has decreased, the requirement for a constant connection to the Ubi servers will be patched out.

KL-alfman
03-05-10, 03:43 PM
Amazing that Ubisoft has so little trust in us. That's the thanks we get for remaining loyal to their games? I know game piracy is a big problem in the gaming industry, but isn't this just another Starforce scam? Does Ubisoft think that "creative programmers" won't find a workaround for this online requirement? How many other games and gaming companies had online servers and then eventually shut them down because of lack of $$$? If that happens, we LOSE SHV???? $50 down the toilet. I don't think so. :nope:

hmm, Deputy, you are absolutely right in your estimations. UBI really screwed up on this one. the pirates haven't even laughed about DRM, they simply c***ed it. so, UBI just hurts the legit consumer and the second-hand market ....
shame on them.

Deputy
03-05-10, 03:45 PM
It's not just SH5, it's all Ubisoft releases from here on out unless they change their minds about it.

Of course there is always the possibility that after the "high sales" period following a new release has passed, and the presumed possibility of additional major sales losses due to piracy has decreased, the requirement for a constant connection to the Ubi servers will be patched out.

It appears that there is already a workaround for the online requirement. I won't post futher info, but it doesn't surprise me. :yep:

BrewerAlpha
03-05-10, 08:41 PM
SH5 makes me sick to my stomach, literally. :cry: I wish it was better.

Problem is that SH3 runs like crap on my computer since I installed Windows 7.

Armistead
03-06-10, 12:45 AM
I just see no excuse for the way SH5 was released. They knew it was crap and don't care what they put people through. I always wait. Maybe I can pick it up in the bargain bin in 6 months when it's playable. The fact is they basically are gonna rely on modders to make it a workable game.

Reece
03-06-10, 02:05 AM
Silent Hunter III :yeah: SH5 should never have been released in it's current half finished, extremely buggy state! :nope:(SHIII had some but not like this)
The devs or more so Ubisoft should be ashamed of themselves, and yes it is 100% their fault, they produced it and sold it as a completed quality product, modders should not have to fix it!! and purchasers paid for a finished product! not that buggy mess!!:-?
All they had to do was take SHIII and update the graphics!!:yep:

StarLion45
03-06-10, 07:47 AM
:) Hi everyone :)

Modders struggle to thunder , rain , storms , even a tornado sometimes ,
to get the SH3 + GWX3.0 gold on the feet . And the joy , exitment , thrill , of playing this game is so big , the atmosphere in the game is so wonderful :yep:
And suddently Ubisoft wants to release a totally new game SH5 , and ,
You're back from the start/ scratch again :o
Why bodder with this game SH5 , instead of working with the SH3 , with a game that we all are safe with ???

You know in the end , we end up with dear old SH3 no matter what :salute:

Leandros
03-06-10, 08:02 AM
Any better eye candy than SHIII GWX doesn't really interest me. For me a better, realistic, AI, integration with other units/types (aircraft, surface ships) and wolfpacks are much more to look for. Not to say I won't follow the development of the SH5.

Reece
03-06-10, 08:10 AM
Yes you never know, the modders might be able to do some miracles with it, at least the devs gave them some good debugging tools.:yep:

Deputy
03-06-10, 03:01 PM
I tried SHV last night. Sure glad I got to try it before buying it. Because I am sure NOT buying it. I had 3 crash to desktops before I finally gave up. And that was with the fully patched version. I don't think it should be on the modders to get this sim working right. That's what you are paying $50 for. The modders make sims BETTER, not FUNCTIONAL. Now if Ubisoft wants to PAY the modders to fix SHV, that's an entirely different story.

BTW...the "walkthrough" feature of SHV turns out to be a bad joke. The insides of the sub are as big as the Seaview from "Voyage to the bottom of the Sea" and the constant pestering with comments from the crew had me wishing I could tell them to STFU. I don't want or need a chatty crew.

I will stick with SHIII and GWX and leave that disaster called SHV to whoever wants to waste their money on it. Maybe go back to it in a year or so when enough patches have been released to get it functioning properly and the price has dropped to $20.

I am a bit curious about who's idea it was at Ubisoft to release what is essentially a graphics upgrade to SHIII and then charge full price for it. A case of getting less for your money. They would have been better off contacting the GWX guys and paying them to do an upgrade to SHIII. A re-invention of the wheel wasn't necessary. In any case, I have taken $10 of the money I saved by NOT buying SHV and donated it to this forum. I need to get with JimBuna to see how I can chip in for GWX. I don't mind paying for a quality product. But that doesn't describe SHV.

Dep

Iron Budokan
03-06-10, 04:18 PM
I am a bit curious about who's idea it was at Ubisoft to release what is essentially a graphics upgrade to SHIII and then charge full price for it.

Dep

It was probably a decision based on marketing and demographics. All they had to do was look at the small numbers of sub simmers and decide that market was too niche. So they made these changes in order to appeal to a broader market. Shame, really.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting my new computer so I can play SH3 again. :yeah:

Kapitän
03-06-10, 04:26 PM
With so much unhappiness about SH5, maybe the GWX-Team will reassemble and finish their great work, which they started, afterall ... :yeah:

Pablo
03-06-10, 05:51 PM
With so much unhappiness about SH5, maybe the GWX-Team will reassemble and finish their great work, which they started, afterall ... :yeah:
Hi!

I would guess that any major mod teams are going to wait until the final patch(es) are out, and possibly an add-on (Type II/IX/XXI/?, maybe), before embarking on a megamod adventure.

Pablo

Kapitän
03-07-10, 09:48 AM
Yes, that makes alot of sense. Best Regards, Kapitän

Deputy
03-07-10, 12:28 PM
I think they will also wait until that "mandatory internet connection" BS has ended. I have no doubt that requirement is keeping a lot of SHIII owners from buying the new sim.

For me, there would need to be a whole bunch of changes made before I would buy it. Things like returning to the same exact commands that SHIII used to run the boat. Remove or make optional that ridiculous "walk through the sub" thing. And make the crew shut up and just do their jobs when ordered to do so. The dang sub has turned into some kind of weird social worker craft where the U-boat Captain lends a caring ear to every little problem the crew has. Ridiculous and has no basis in reality. There was a sharp distinction between the officer class and the enlisted man in every part of the German military with the possible exception of the Waffen-SS. The Captain didn't wander through the sub asking each guy "how's it going". You would think the U-Boat was named the "Karl Marx" and that there was no rank or distinction between Captain and crew.
The Captain probably greeted crew members, but he didn't take a personal interest in their lives unless it directly affected the crewmember's performace in doing his duties. And for cripes sake get that crew into some semblance of uniforms. I know things got pretty casual in U-Boats, but seeing some crew members wearing Brooks Brothers sportcoats while others are dressed in hobo rags is a little bit bizarre.

And I can't believe people are raving about the look of the water in SHV. Obviously they never used the GWX mod. Water in SHIII + GWX looks like water. Water in SHV looks like the boat is sailing in a toxic chemical sea. Yuck!

Deputy
03-07-10, 12:36 PM
So much for the internet/online requirement working reliably:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163631

KL-alfman
03-07-10, 01:21 PM
thx for the laugh: U-Boot "Karl Marx" :har:

I'm really not surprised that the server-issue happens.
there is no guarantee that all the servers in the net always work flawlessly. even SubSim-servers need a tuning once in a while.
but many people announced the consequences of having to be online permanently previous to SH5-release. they were silenced by people who just wanted all of us in the fanboy-wagon.
UBI seems to be in real mess now.

RConch
03-07-10, 03:17 PM
thx for the laugh: U-Boot "Karl Marx" :har:

I'm really not surprised that the server-issue happens.
there is no guarantee that all the servers in the net always work flawlessly. even SubSim-servers need a tuning once in a while.
but many people announced the consequences of having to be online permanently previous to SH5-release. they were silenced by people who just wanted all of us in the fanboy-wagon.
UBI seems to be in real mess now.

So what if they are in a fix. People here since SH II wanted UBI to listen, never happened.
Somehow they got close to lucky with SH III and the GWX team was able to work it out to a very very decent sim.
What I can't understand is why my ancient CAoD could have wolfpacks and attacks and this game never can.
UBI, damn it, there were wolfpacks in WW II!:arrgh!:

Snestorm
03-15-10, 12:45 AM
Even without:
The bugs,
Required internet conection,
No Type IIs or IXs,
No war end,
I just don't see SH5 as being in the same league with SH3.
So, UBI can keep SH5, and I can keep my money.
No problems & no complaints.

applesthecat
03-15-10, 01:31 AM
As anyone should know by now, never by the version 1.0 of anything, especially not a silent hunter edition.

Besides, most people will need two years to get around to getting a better computer anyway, so they probably can't do justice to it right now.

I just got around to playing SH3 a few months ago. I'll get around to SH5 by 2012-14. By then, it should be running smooth.

iambecomelife
03-15-10, 02:27 AM
I think they will also wait until that "mandatory internet connection" BS has ended. I have no doubt that requirement is keeping a lot of SHIII owners from buying the new sim.

For me, there would need to be a whole bunch of changes made before I would buy it. Things like returning to the same exact commands that SHIII used to run the boat. Remove or make optional that ridiculous "walk through the sub" thing. And make the crew shut up and just do their jobs when ordered to do so. The dang sub has turned into some kind of weird social worker craft where the U-boat Captain lends a caring ear to every little problem the crew has. Ridiculous and has no basis in reality. There was a sharp distinction between the officer class and the enlisted man in every part of the German military with the possible exception of the Waffen-SS. The Captain didn't wander through the sub asking each guy "how's it going". You would think the U-Boat was named the "Karl Marx" and that there was no rank or distinction between Captain and crew.
The Captain probably greeted crew members, but he didn't take a personal interest in their lives unless it directly affected the crewmember's performace in doing his duties. And for cripes sake get that crew into some semblance of uniforms. I know things got pretty casual in U-Boats, but seeing some crew members wearing Brooks Brothers sportcoats while others are dressed in hobo rags is a little bit bizarre.

And I can't believe people are raving about the look of the water in SHV. Obviously they never used the GWX mod. Water in SHIII + GWX looks like water. Water in SHV looks like the boat is sailing in a toxic chemical sea. Yuck!

You make some very good points about interaction between officers and crew. The armed forces usually doesn't encourage too much fraternizing between officers and the lower ranks. Preserving a level of distance between the commander and his officers (and, in turn, between the officers as a whole & the men) was considered vital. In fact, on some vessels the commander wasn't even allowed to enter the officer's mess without an invitation. IIRC on American subs petty officers basically acted as the crews' representatives, bringing to the Captain's attention any major personal problems that needed to be dealt with. Although there were exceptions, I bet most enlisted men wouldn't dream of baring their souls to the commanding officer; likewise, the CO rarely considered himself a "shoulder to cry on."

In Silent Hunter 5, it also doesn't help that the implementation of "personal elements" is shockingly poor. Particularly for a feature that was trumpeted as a grand "innovation" setting SH5 from its predecessors. As you've probably noticed, dialogue sound files are clipped, the men rarely make eye contact, spin around randomly, and even turn their backs when they're speaking with you. Plus they constantly "ghost" through solid objects. Strange how older games like "Freelancer" show adequate collision detection/animation of human figures, whereas Ubisoft botched these aspects so spectacularly more than half a decade later.

Snestorm
03-15-10, 04:48 AM
I guess the overall reason SH5 doesn't appeal to me is this.:
I'm much more interested in how the boat behaves, than how the crew and I interact.

The good crew interaction from SH3 isn't even included in SH5!?:
"Depth under keel is 2 5 meters."
"Depth is 1 0 0 meters."
"New course 2 7 0."
"Nearest warship sound contact at 1 4 0. Movind slow. Closing. Medium range."
"Nearest viual contact at 3 3 1. 1200 meters."

Navigation, Ship Handling, Torpedo Targeting, and Gunnery all seem to be a joke in SH5.

It doesn't appear that any of the devs have ever been to sea, or done any military time at all.
The result is an RPG Joke, with no basis in reality at all.

Edo
03-15-10, 08:49 AM
As anyone should know by now, never by the version 1.0 of anything, especially not a silent hunter edition.

And I thought this was only for Paradox games...

Flopper
03-15-10, 11:10 AM
The armed forces usually doesn't encourage too much fraternizing between officers and the lower ranks. Preserving a level of distance between the commander and his officers (and, in turn, between the officers as a whole & the men) was considered vital.

That's an offical position. However, from my experience as flight crew on us navy P3 Orion aircraft, during missions these types of formalities would drop pretty much completely. We didn't fraternize MUCH outside that environment, although at times when we were overseas, enlisted and officers would dine and even drink together, depending on the situation. I'm not sure how that equates to uboat life, as we had a max crew of 12. :hmmm:

Deputy
03-15-10, 12:20 PM
That's an offical position. However, from my experience as flight crew on us navy P3 Orion aircraft, during missions these types of formalities would drop pretty much completely. We didn't fraternize MUCH outside that environment, although at times when we were overseas, enlisted and officers would dine and even drink together, depending on the situation. I'm not sure how that equates to uboat life, as we had a max crew of 12. :hmmm:

When I was in the US Army officers were seperated from EM even at the mess hall. The only exceptions were Special Forces units that had to work VERY closely together. There rank disappeared WHEN ON THE MISSION. Back at base camp you had Officers Mess, Officers Club, and Officers Quarters. And no EM was allowed in ANY of them.

Brag
03-15-10, 03:41 PM
Those who bought SH5 and managed to play ,bitch
Those who bought SH5 and cant connect to Ubi, bitch
Isn't that a perfect loop? :D

Schroeder
03-15-10, 03:53 PM
Those who bought SH5 and managed to play ,bitch
Those who bought SH5 and cant connect to Ubi, bitch
Isn't that a perfect loop? :D
And those who do not even have it bitch too, because they foresaw it all.
:D

Exakt
03-15-10, 04:10 PM

I get your point, sure formalities get thrown out the window when you are doing a job with a certain number of persons. But after that job is done, formalities kick back in.

On another point, why the hell do you have to run to hand out the orders (if you don't use keyboard's shortcut keys)??? they had some "crude" communications system throughout the boat... or people would actually relay the command...

thyro
03-15-10, 05:04 PM

I'll wait untill it gets GOLD (aka in 5 years time)... with no DRM shyte and all patched and best of all fully moded... well if UBI doesn't go busted before that. ;)

KL-alfman
03-15-10, 06:56 PM
I would prefer to pay them and leave Ubisoft alone.

just for the record!

(I totally agree) :D

Paul Riley
03-16-10, 10:36 AM
The one thing that utterly repulses me from what I have read so far is the need to be constantly online!,just to play it? well,I removed my internet connection from my main gaming PC in order to use my laptop solely for going online etc.
Graphically SH5 obviously looks superior to its predecessors but this online neccessity is an outrage! :stare: ,together with the silly RPG element which could spoil it too.And I am sure I read somewhere that there will only be the type VIIs featured in the game?,right ok,whatever,i'm sure that will sit well with a lot of you :shifty:
Someone correct me if i'm wrong here.
End of the day,I couldnt give 2 sh##s about SH5,SH3 with GWX3 is all I need,and thats that.Too much eye candy and zero game/experience doesnt work for me,sorry.And it seems to be a popular trend with a lot of games these days.

Deputy
03-16-10, 11:12 AM
With you 100% Paul! :up:

Sailor Steve
03-16-10, 11:20 AM
On another point, why the hell do you have to run to hand out the orders (if you don't use keyboard's shortcut keys)??? they had some "crude" communications system throughout the boat... or people would actually relay the command...
In combat, the captain is either in the control room, the conning tower, or on the bridge, depending on the type of attack (or evasion). He should never have a reason to anywhere else until the fight is over. All orders are issued from one of those stations.

And I desperately want to play this game, but won't buy it until the internet requirement is gone.

Commie
03-16-10, 12:17 PM
Agree with Paul, but then I'm a freak for gameplay and care little for eye candy, even though I appreciate it. Was waiting for SH5 after skipping SH4(not interested in Pacific unless I can be Jap:)), and instead of getting it, I reinstalled SH3. Been out of the loop a while though. Don't know what mods to use.

Brer Rabbit
03-16-10, 02:25 PM
Bought SH3 took a while, but I learned a lot from it. GWX greatly improvrd it and the multitude of mods has made a superb experience.

Bought SH4 loaded tried to play, but computer would not run it. Stored on shelf. Bought new laptop, SH4 runs OK, but I still play SH3.

Bought SH5, tried to load on laptop---it met specs, but would not load prpperly, and would not connect to servers. Then servers went down, then I read a eyeful of complaints --most justified. Removed SH5 from computer, put on shelf next to SH4. Continue to play SH3.

I expect that I will be playing well into the future. I want just once to get through the war. Been playing for 3 years ---Bernards shadow is constantly looking over my shoulder. I havn't made it past early 1942 yet. Playing 100% realism.

Hope to buy a new desk top in the next few months. I may take another look at SH5 just for ****s and grins, but I expect I will not be playing until they work out the bugs, hopefully do away with DRM.

Brer Rabbit

Rizla King
03-16-10, 02:37 PM
Well i am one of the numptys that bought SHV and totally regret it summing it up this game is more for console players then serious pc sim fans. Biggest example i can give is no more flank speed oh no now we have "extreme" speed i mean wtf no one ever in the history of naval warfare has ever referred to it as extreme speed. This is putting aside the internet shenanigans which don't even get me started on that as it just produces anger of a level i rarely ever feel. At first i looked on the drm as a bit of a saviour so many times i have bought games and been ridiculed by my friends none of whom i think knows how to buy a game and i thought "aha got you this time" but on the day i bought it i went and visited a friend and wollah he had the game on his pc and wasn't losing his damn saves like i was.

This game has no soul it is eye candy semi wrapped in a sim coating and all you really get is some flashy gfx and not much else. Maybe it will be good in a few years if the modders bother with it which i am not sure they will when they have SHIII as a perfect platform for modding now. I have gone back to 3 and gwx and it is just superior on every level that matters and is a hell of a lot more fun then 5 ever was in the short few days i constantly palyed it. I think limiting the game to type 7's only was also a mistake as was the whole gameplay 3 challenges you and makes you think 5 is basically a go there shoot up that and move onto another area hell i sunk the same convoy four times on one patrol just by leaving the area and then going back to it.

If your thinking of buying 5 don't waste your time or your money buy 3 and download gwx3 you will get a fantastic experience for less money and it will reward your time playing it none of that can be said for 5 in anyway at all.

Brag
03-16-10, 03:04 PM
I am back cleaning ashtrays at BDU. I should have a new PC in the next few weeks. I've decided not to even go to the SHV side. It's too depressing.

Depressing to hear how bad the game is
Depressing to see people bamboozled into buying DRM then not being able to connect, log in, save, etc.

I also feel sorry for the Devs, who are more than capable of developing a good game.

Paul Riley
03-16-10, 03:33 PM
Its really quite incredible how bad this game actually sounds,I would have thought the developers would have taken in EVERYTHING that made the other games great (esp SH3) and improve upon that,instead they seem to have completely bypassed all our wishes and expectations and ruined it with ultra draconian anti piracy measures and a skeletal gaming experience...if that.
I really AM quite stunned :o

Its ironic,the very same trend seems to be affecting modern movies too,poor plot,sh*te actors,budget effects,whereas in the 80s and 90s the movies were absolutely cult inspiring amazing!
Long live the king,SH3 + GWX3 !

Deputy
03-16-10, 03:52 PM
Rizla: Thanks for that excellent and incitefull input. :up: