PDA

View Full Version : Graphics cards question

Wintahs
03-03-10, 07:04 AM
In the official system requirements, it says you need at least an 8800GT. I, however, have an 8600GT. Has anyone tried it with the 8600 yet? System requirements have been way off before for other games in the past...

Jail
03-03-10, 07:08 AM
I really want to know also because I've got an old 7900 Gtx

Wintahs
03-07-10, 02:43 PM
Anyone?

Ships-R-Us
03-07-10, 02:51 PM
It's been a long time since you posed the question so I'll try to help. I'm not real familiar with all the model cards. However you may want to google your card and check the specs on each and look for differences. If their close enough you may be ok.

gimpy117
03-07-10, 02:52 PM
recommended stats are there for a reason. using a sub minimum card can risk damage to the card because of overheating. plus it might be glitchy on the 7000 series because UBI didn't take cards that old into account when coding the game.

Propy
03-07-10, 02:53 PM
I want to know aswell, I also have a 8600gt (even wrote a topic about it, but no answer...)

Pintea
03-07-10, 03:51 PM
If your card supports PS 3.0 the game WILL start & run, but depending on the video card you may have very low fps (for example my notebook has an integrated Intel video card with PS 3.0, but it has trouble running Solitaire...)

Those are minimum requirements for the game to run decently, not minimum requirements for the game to just start.

oiler
03-07-10, 07:10 PM
hmm a little bit ... I have ATI x1900 and game doesn't work when i switch to external "world" or if i look through periscope outside. Does any one know how to fix this?(if is it possible)

jwilliams
03-07-10, 07:45 PM
hmm a little bit ... I have ATI x1900 and game doesn't work when i switch to external "world" or if i look through periscope outside. Does any one know how to fix this?(if is it possible)

First turn all the settings to minimum, including screen res. If it then works you can start turning the settings up, its a case of trial and error.

Minimum Specs
Video Card (graphics): 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c-compliant video card (ATI® Radeon HD2600/GeForce® 8800 or better)

Note: Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT / 9 / GTX 200 series ATI Radeon HD 2600 / HD 3000 / HD 4000 / HD 5000 series NVIDIA SLI & ATI Crossfire

klh
03-07-10, 08:00 PM
I haven't missed a Silent Hunter game yet (bought 2, 3, and 4 on opening day), but this time I may have to wait a while. I'm driving an Intel Pentium4 3.0 GHz with an NVidia 7600GT. I could barely run SH4, so SH5 will be out of my league until I get a new PC.

The good news is, by that time the modders will have fixed it up real good.

Task Force
03-07-10, 08:22 PM
Well, Ive got a 8800gts, and am haveing issues... (lets hope driver update will help)

So... Maby with everything off... but probably not.

Ships-R-Us
03-07-10, 08:32 PM
Well, Ive got a 8800gts, and am haveing issues... (lets hope driver update will help)

So... Maby with everything off... but probably not.

Don't know what to say Task Force but your card is supported. There are all kinds of other issues that affect game play, video cards aside. Possible you may just need to do some simple computer maintenance. You will always increase performance if you're game is installed as the first thing on a second hard drive. It doesn't matter what you pile on afterwards as long as the game is the first thing. Cleaning up C drive is next along with getting rid of rogue programs and other unnecessary processes, cleaning out the registry properly with the right software, running Malwarebytes, and a few others....You will be amazed at how corrupt your registry may be. A fine tuned computer really boosts performance and has nothing to do with a graphics card.........People that have followed my advice are impressed with the boost in performance.

The following is part of a quote I stole from Onkle Neals post. It is a quote from a person that knows a lot more than a lot of us. It is not Neals quote.

But, there's a lot of stupid people. Basic, basic stuff, like updating your drivers, or de-fragging your hard drive, or having antivirus so your machine isn't a teetering pile of rogue programs. PC folks want to have the freedom to do whatever the hell they want with their machines, and god help them they will do it; more power to them, really.

But god forbid something that they've done - or failed to do - creates a problem with your game. There are few better examples of the "it can't possibly be my fault" culture in the west than gaming forums.

oiler
03-08-10, 06:09 AM
to jwilliams: yes i know that x1900 is out of specs but i think problem is in some post process or in some shader efect because if i look outside than game still run for at least 2 secs and i can see around sub but then game crash - I can switch to external wiew but because of that short time it is not usable. So i think there is maybe hope for old card owners :-) because maybe is way in some shader file modification...

Capt. Friedhoffer
03-09-10, 04:24 PM
A friend of mine has some older Dell rig that doesn't have a AGP slot nor a PCI Express port. He is stuck using a standard PCI slot instead. He found a card sold through Powercolor that is a ATI Radeon HD 2400, standard PCI form factor. I think it's 256MB. You think with this card it will be possible to play Silent Hunter 5? You guys are so knowledgeable, I thought I would ask for him here. I have a 2600 PCI-e myself so I don't see that big of a difference, is there? Thanks in advance for any assistance you folks can provide.

Coldcall
03-10-10, 03:56 AM
In the official system requirements, it says you need at least an 8800GT. I, however, have an 8600GT. Has anyone tried it with the 8600 yet? System requirements have been way off before for other games in the past...

I have a 8600 GT and the game runs fine (but on medium quality settings).

Deimos01
03-10-10, 09:18 AM
I have dual 8600 GTS cards in SLI. I get low frames and choppyness at default settings. Have turned shadows off, resolution down and most grafic options are unchecked exept for ship corrosion and detail textures and the game now runs ok. Still have low frames sometimes and I have not gotten into a big convoy yet.

Im seriously think a new card might be in order. Suggestion? Something in the 100-200 USD price range.