PDA

View Full Version : How to use deck gun optics?

Itkovian
03-02-10, 11:36 PM
Salutations.

The title says it all. Manual says to press TAB, but that resizes the map display. Assistance would be appreciated. :)

And while we're at it: is there a way to change realism setting mid-campaign? It seems I am unable to use a custom realism setting when starting a campaign, which is somewhat problematic (high is good, but I'd like to have map updates off).

Thank you.

Itkovian

mookiemookie
03-02-10, 11:43 PM
Salutations.

The title says it all. Manual says to press TAB, but that resizes the map display. Assistance would be appreciated. :)

And while we're at it: is there a way to change realism setting mid-campaign? It seems I am unable to use a custom realism setting when starting a campaign, which is somewhat problematic (high is good, but I'd like to have map updates off).

Thank you.

Itkovian

Upper left hand corner of the deck gun view. There's a button for the optic view.

And when you're in the sub pen, hit ESC and you can change your realism settings.

Itkovian
03-03-10, 12:38 AM
Ah, excellent, thank you.

While we're at it, I know this has been asked before, but until we get a faq:

What is the proper procedure to use the stadimeter? Does the view need be aligned on something before activating the stad (for example, on the waterline)?

Or if you prefer, between the two images, what must we align to what? I keep getting surprisingly wrong ranging information. :)

And another question: I see some screenshots where there are "bearing lines" on the map, likely indicating bearing of a given contact. Are those drawn automatically, or is there a manual way to draw a line (without picking up the map tool... what I mean is, take a bearing to a target, press a button, and a line is drawn on that bearing on the map?)

Thank you.

Itkovian

gutted
03-03-10, 12:43 AM
Stadimeter seems borked, i wouldn't use it.

While in kiel harbor and map contacts on, i did some ranging with it and the things is all over the place.

On one ship the correct range was found near the funnel, the other the top of the flag, the other the highest mast.

Until someone figures out whats wrong with it (or what we need to range from) im not touching it. I been using my watch officer to tell me the range to the nearest ship (have to enable that in the commands.cfg).

The command works not only when on deck, but even submerged and at the periscope.

Not ideal, but it keeps me playing.

Itkovian
03-03-10, 12:53 AM
I think your starting alignment is significant. If, for example, you keep lining up at the waterline to start with (when activating the stad), and then put the second black bar to the top of the funnel, you will get a consistant result.

The problem I have is finding where I need to align both black lines, as it were (the original, for the starting alignement, and the new one... waterline to top of mast does not seem to work).

Itkovian

gutted
03-03-10, 12:54 AM
Just thought i'd add that i do know how to use the stadimeter. Operating it is no different than any other SH. Just cant get anything somewhat reliable out of it right now.

mookiemookie
03-03-10, 08:57 AM
I been using my watch officer to tell me the range to the nearest ship (have to enable that in the commands.cfg).

I found the following in commands.cfg. How do I edit it so it's active?

[Cmd487]
Name=Estimate_range_to_contact
Contexts=1
MnID=0x3F280002
HasDelayedExecution=Yes