PDA

View Full Version : I have it, some simple questions?

Shoopzee
03-02-10, 09:35 PM
Greetings SH5 fans,
I do not post often on the forum, but I do read much of what is written here, and I do enjoy these titles very much.
For better, or worse, I decided some time ago to buy this title on release, and today I picked a copy up at a futureshop here in Halifax.

So far I like what I see, but I am just scratching the surface. I think with some tender loving mods, this will be a great package. I'm enjoying it now, so just think what 4-6 months will bring for improvements. I had to lay SH3 to rest many months ago due to a 64-bit system upgrade, so being back in my backyard ocean again feels good!!!

A couple of simple questions:
-is there a tracking external view similar to the "," and "." in 3 and 4? I notice on some of the Ubi promo vids this camera view is present.
-Also ,is anyone aware of what the biggest system HOG option(s) are in the menus?
-finally, is their any other way of getting the german voices into the game, other than the initial install?
That's it so far, appreciate any suggestions, and I will try to be more active on forum here in the future.

As a side note, the drm thing is not a problem for me. My internet is always up, and reliable. Besides, if Ubi never patch out the drm, and even lose their servers some time down the road (years?), I will have already extracted my money out of the title 10 fold by this point. On that note though, I'm optimistic they will turf it soon. :yeah:
See you out on the North Atlantic! Cheers Shoopzee.:salute:

Mack674
03-02-10, 09:42 PM
I have some questions for anybody thats been able to figure this out -

1. How the heck do you change any of the key commands in game? Can it even be done or do i have to edit some config files in the game folder?

2. I want to try and learn how to use manual torpedo targetting but for the life of me I cant figure out how to "turn it on". I set the game to even realistic setting and start the campaign but it insists on just making me point hte periscope at something and pressing fire.

Im sure I remember it being slightly more complicated than that in SH3...
where is the ship recognition manual? Is there one? Compared to SH3 and 4s attack periscope this one seems incredibly limited and I have no idea where to click or anything, theres just way less on the screen and I have no clue how to get to anything I want.

3. Where do I go to check my fuel and battery levels?

4. I have the crew speaking german and the game has english text, however, the crew talk alot in german and I just assumed there would be subtitles - unless it's a major thing - there isn't. I can speak a little german but this is way beyond my ability to understand lol Some subtitles would have been nice or something.... id rather have them speak the right language and not understand most of it versus the generic robo-voice of badly accented americans.

Just as a general ranting point now: While the sub pen is pretty cool, I still wish they included the Captains old office area in between misisons where I could look at files of the crew, medals, boat improvements and change some options - that sort of thing, without having to run around in first person looking for people to talk to.

Not having a clock to tell me what time it is readily available is really annoying!

Beyond that though, the immersion of the game at least is pretty well done and the graphics are outstanding. The sea is especially fantastic. Running around on the deck of the boat I feel like i could just jump into the water!

mookiemookie
03-02-10, 09:48 PM
I'll throw out some things that may or may not help, as I'm still pretty green at SH5 and am still getting used to it -

1. I'm using CCIP's Command Keys mod - really helps ease the transition for SH3/SH4 vets: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162661

2. Hit the ESC key while you're in the sub pen and you can change all of your realism settings before setting out on patrol. Once you have a target locked in your peri/UZO view, you can turn the TDC on/off by just telling your IWO to do so.

3. Fuel and battery levels are missing as far as I can tell. I'm using the "report max range" option in the Command Keys mod to tell me this info. Very dumb omission to not have these gauges IMHO.

4. You can turn external camera on by pressing F2 in the Command Keys mod. Not sure about the "next target" function...I haven't found it anyways.

5 Anecdotal evidence suggests that the shadows are big FPS killers. I've turned my down and I did notice an improvement.

6. As far as German voices go, I don;t think you can do it other than selecting the option upon initial install.

Mack674
03-02-10, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Mookie -
when I tell the guy to turn on or off the TDC, nothing happens... like, where is the TDC? Where do I go to put in the information for the torpedo? Im so very confused lol

mookiemookie
03-02-10, 10:09 PM
when I tell the guy to turn on or off the TDC, nothing happens... like, where is the TDC? Where do I go to put in the information for the torpedo? Im so very confused lol

The TDC in the traditional sense is gone....meaning that you won't be turning dials (I know, I know...a step backwards). He's going to say "I see a undientified freighter on bearing 45, range 2000 meters travelling 10 knots with an angle on bow of 35 starboard."

You have to click the underlined items and fill them in with stadimeter readings or you can hand input them.

jwilliams
03-02-10, 10:10 PM

they make it arcadey.... you just point and fire now....

Just follow the link to find out how to set up TDC

link :- http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=162680

Mack674
03-02-10, 10:13 PM
Oh wow I didnt even think to click on the highlighted information... I dont really blame myself considering the last few games actually had functional equipment you used but whatever.

So does this mean that the XO or whoever that is that inputs the initial TDC info (like its his recommendation or something?) could be a good firing solution and you can just edit that if you want ?

mookiemookie
03-02-10, 10:42 PM
So does this mean that the XO or whoever that is that inputs the initial TDC info (like its his recommendation or something?) could be a good firing solution and you can just edit that if you want ?

The initial TDC info is not right. Well, not all of it anyways. If you click the bearing part, you have the option of marking to your scope bearing, and that's the default. So that part is ok. But everything else is up to you, Herr Kaleun.

Onkel Neal
03-02-10, 10:47 PM
German, voices, you can add them from the game disc. That's how I did it in the preview videos.

Yeah, what Mookie said, re: battery and fuel. Man, the pdf manual is the worst of all time. Some of the images, like the guide to map contacts, is so small, even zoomed in you cannot read it. And don't get me started about the TDC section...there isn't one.

Greetings SH5 fans,
I do not post often on the forum, but I do read much of what is written here, and I do enjoy these titles very much.
For better, or worse, I decided some time ago to buy this title on release, and today I picked a copy up at a futureshop here in Halifax.

So far I like what I see, but I am just scratching the surface. I think with some tender loving mods, this will be a great package. I'm enjoying it now, so just think what 4-6 months will bring for improvements. I had to lay SH3 to rest many months ago due to a 64-bit system upgrade, so being back in my backyard ocean again feels good!!!

A couple of simple questions:
-is there a tracking external view similar to the "," and "." in 3 and 4? I notice on some of the Ubi promo vids this camera view is present.
-Also ,is anyone aware of what the biggest system HOG option(s) are in the menus?
-finally, is their any other way of getting the german voices into the game, other than the initial install?
That's it so far, appreciate any suggestions, and I will try to be more active on forum here in the future.

As a side note, the drm thing is not a problem for me. My internet is always up, and reliable. Besides, if Ubi never patch out the drm, and even lose their servers some time down the road (years?), I will have already extracted my money out of the title 10 fold by this point. On that note though, I'm optimistic they will turf it soon. :yeah:
See you out on the North Atlantic! Cheers Shoopzee.:salute:

sergei
03-03-10, 07:00 AM
3. Fuel and battery levels are missing as far as I can tell. I'm using the "report max range" option in the Command Keys mod to tell me this info. Very dumb omission to not have these gauges IMHO.

I found these! Hit J to bring up your torpedo screen, then navigate to the Subsystems tab. In there somewhere you will find your fuel and battery status.
Finally figured this out after spending 10 minutes running around the boat looking for a fuel gauge. Man, I looked everywhere!