PDA

View Full Version : Lt Commander Lare's sh5 review

Lt commander lare
03-02-10, 07:02 PM
Hello to all subsim members here is my review of sh5 after playing for several hours im hooked this is the best simulation yet the whole crew interaction thing is incredible so here are the numbers as far as score

sound 90%
graphics 100%
enemy AI 100%
since the patch was released I have not detected any bugs so far, dosent mean there isnt any I just havent found them I think this is a great subsim and would reccomend this submarine sim to anyone that asked but would inform them of the drm thing thats the only drawback if thats removed them the game is 100 complete but a few more patches wouldnt hurt to clear any other bugs that need to be fixed.

Lt Commander Lare

Sailor Steve
03-02-10, 07:03 PM
I thought you had decided not to buy it.:sunny:

CCIP
03-02-10, 07:03 PM
Sound - are you rating English or German?

AI - can you explain a little more in depth? I haven't got a good feel for it myself yet, but all these reports (like enemy subs popping up then diving to avoid return fire, or groups of destroyers arriving to help convoys under attack) have me very excited.

Darnthetorpedoes
03-02-10, 07:32 PM
Of course only time will tell if it will live up to its expectations.
I would like to hear a little bit more about the friendly and enemy AI as well, the thought of enemy subs is something that I've only dreamt about (Im sure theres a mod out there)

joejccva71
03-02-10, 07:36 PM
Hello to all subsim members here is my review of sh5 after playing for several hours im hooked this is the best simulation yet the whole crew interaction thing is incredible so here are the numbers as far as score

sound 90%
graphics 100%
enemy AI 100%
since the patch was released I have not detected any bugs so far, dosent mean there isnt any I just havent found them I think this is a great subsim and would reccomend this submarine sim to anyone that asked but would inform them of the drm thing thats the only drawback if thats removed them the game is 100 complete but a few more patches wouldnt hurt to clear any other bugs that need to be fixed.

Lt Commander Lare

So you are basing your short review off 3 elements and thats it?

Quick question: Has this patch fixed the morale problem where after you reload your saved game all your crew's morale resets to 0? This is a huge gamebreaker to be honest.

ParaB
03-02-10, 07:38 PM
Thanks...uhm. But honestly, I'd rate the usefulness of this "review" as 1/10.

You could at least try and include something resembling actual information.

:-?

piri_reis
03-02-10, 07:40 PM
He might be kidding all along because he is basically saying it's almost bugfree and 100 percent complete :hmmm:

CCIP
03-02-10, 07:49 PM
He might be kidding all along because he is basically saying it's almost bugfree and 100 percent complete :hmmm:

"almost" is relative. For what it's worth, over 95% of the features in the game DO work as advertised. So technically that's not inaccurate.

Galanti
03-02-10, 08:03 PM
IIRC, he posted the same reviews for SH4 and SH4:UM. So at least he's consistent.

Bah, at least he's happy with it. I hope to be too, one day. The problem with the SH franchise is that it's typically six months to a year before a new release is playable with patches and mods.

Rickenbacker
03-02-10, 08:26 PM
Of course only time will tell if it will live up to its expectations.
I would like to hear a little bit more about the friendly and enemy AI as well, the thought of enemy subs is something that I've only dreamt about (Im sure theres a mod out there)

The enemy AI seems competent so far, after my 6th or so war patrol. THey try to find me where they think I fired from, and occasionally cut off my escape route or wait for me to pop up for another shot. I've only seen one enemy sub so far, and he dove away when I opened fire - pretty cool!

piri_reis
03-02-10, 08:28 PM
I've only seen one enemy sub so far, and he dove away when I opened fire - pretty cool!

Did you give chase? :arrgh!:

ParaB
03-02-10, 08:29 PM
The enemy AI seems competent so far, after my 6th or so war patrol. THey try to find me where they think I fired from, and occasionally cut off my escape route or wait for me to pop up for another shot. I've only seen one enemy sub so far, and he dove away when I opened fire - pretty cool!

Nice, thank you!

Onkel Neal
03-02-10, 09:07 PM

Hey Rickenbacker, is that you I see on the leader boards? :D
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=165&pictureid=1355

mookiemookie
03-02-10, 09:08 PM
Hey Rickenbacker, is that you I see on the leader boards? :D

Hey, Onkel, is that you I see on the leader boards? :D

I'm Leonhard Metzler and I'm number 30-something

simsurfer
03-02-10, 09:44 PM
All I know is that the interface is hideous!!! Hope the mods can rewrite the entire GUI.

UrPeaceKeeper
03-02-10, 10:42 PM
UrPeaceKeeper writing a Concuring Oppinion with Simsurfer. The UI is horrid. Guess I was just way to used to SH3/SH4 as this totaly threw me to the ****s. The new controls suck so I downloaded the new commands mod. Havent had a chance to test it out as it's bed time for me =X

So far, I've not figured out the whole automatic but not really automatic targeting thing, again read some stuff on here and hopefully I've "resolved" that issue when it comes time to play again tomorrow. The graphics kick arse so I can't complain there too much, although the entire thing is a little frustrating as it seems the U-boat is lacking in detail (and yes it shows to someone who has never seen the inside of an actual U-boat unless you count U571 the movie as seeing the inside of a U-Boat). The crew seem lifeless and completely uninterested in anything that goes on and for some reason we still have the mysteriously disappearing crew when the submarine submerges and surfaces... I didnt see any crew move about when I hit the battlestations button and I wasted all twenty of my promotion points on one guy because I wasn't aware it was for everyone.

Keep in mind I have the Direct2Drive version which they delayed my being able to download untill 7:45 CST tonight... a little frustrating but it only took about 30 minutes to download from the D2D servers. No manual though, I could go digging through the install files if I really wanted to read it. Is it of any use?

Cheers, I'm off for the night, I have mixed feelings about this game so far... I just hope that modders are going to go crazy with the UI and bring back all the manual targeting stuff. I miss the older UI as stupid as it sounds.

:arrgh!:

Lt commander lare
03-02-10, 11:09 PM
And your right i should give more information in the game the morale has not dropped and everything is working fine at least for me im only offering my point of view on the game and its far from being complete but from what I have played so far im happy with it, And the voices and everything are great and the graphics but there needs to be some more patches released to make it complete but for a start its a really good game and there has been no graphics glitches at anytime during gameplay and the crew has responded to every command.

Lt Commander Lare

jazman
03-02-10, 11:17 PM

sound 90%
graphics 100%
enemy AI 100%

Lt Commander Lare

You left this line out:

"And thanks, Ubisoft, for the free review copy!"

jwilliams
03-02-10, 11:19 PM
And your right i should give more information in the game the morale has not dropped and everything is working fine at least for me im only offering my point of view on the game and its far from being complete but from what I have played so far im happy with it, And the voices and everything are great and the graphics but there needs to be some more patches released to make it complete but for a start its a really good game and there has been no graphics glitches at anytime during gameplay and the crew has responded to every command.

Lt Commander Lare

I can't tell if your being serious or not, You seem to go from the game is perfect then you say its not finished, then back to its perfect.

No Graphic glitches, what about all the clipping?
How can the game be perfect, if its far from finished?

Your view of things is very diferent from everyone else.

Ark
03-02-10, 11:26 PM
Your view of things is very diferent from everyone else.

Is his view supposed to be the same?

jwilliams
03-03-10, 12:57 AM
Is his view supposed to be the same?

I'm not saying his view should be the same as everyone elses.

But his veiw seems to be inconsistant.

And im not saying that he cant have a view.

Just giving my view of his view, that is all. :DL

Lt commander lare
03-03-10, 04:16 AM
Just to put this out there I never said the game was perfect for everyone I said that for me I felt the game was perfect I realize that there are members here that are having issues with graphics and other bugs im just saying I have not seen them when i was playing thats why I gave the game a higher rating, If I had seen them then I would have given the game a lower rating and subject to a patch the game might go back up but thats not the case for me and after playing a few more hours i rate the game at

on a score from 1-10

graphics 10
sound 9
crew interactions 10
enemy Ai 10
u boat model 10
Now this is my rating of the game I dont expect everyone to agree and also im going on record saying the game is not complete there are things that needs to be fixed to make it complete like the sound there is no alarms or anything but for me the game is great and with improvements from ubisoft and modders this will be a fantastic game.

ichso
03-03-10, 04:24 AM
*looks for the review*
*finds none*
*sees ratings*
*thinks that the thread title is quite misleading*

But thanks for input :up:

Steeltrap
03-03-10, 04:50 AM
I think he has the same issues as most people who do reviews: an abject black hole when it comes to mathematics and normal distributions, standard deviations etc.

If that seems insulting, then his review is saying that the graphics, crew interactions, enemy AI and U-boat model cannot, in any way, be improved. That is, after all, what 100% means.

Reviews all over the net display this ridiculous approach, so much so that a score of 80-85% is seen as 'pass'.

It's all so stupid I completely ignore scores and look for substance in reviews. In this case, there's as much substance behind this review as their is science behind the score.

Either it's a massive satire, or the reviewer knows dick about mathematics etc.

Of course that's simply my take on it.

Lt commander lare
03-03-10, 09:47 AM
First of all I know math ok and read my last post I said that with ubisofts patch and the modders this game will be fantastic i never said that the game could not be modded or improved all im saying is I think its good and i dont need to be treated like crap now because i bought the game I spent alot of money on my machine to play this and I wont let ubisoft screw me on the money i spent, So maybe im not good at reviews like neal but at least I tried to give feedback on the game which is what people were asking.

Noren
03-03-10, 09:57 AM
But my friend, thats hardly a review. A review should add something that we all can view from our own perspective and you should make arguments why give your ratings.

I concur with the other posts. 100% means perfect. Good is perhaps 75%.
Im sorry to say, but this seems like you want to pad your own back after having invested much money and you had high hopes. Give it more time and write a new review, with objectivity.

Armistead
03-03-10, 10:57 AM
First of all I know math ok and read my last post I said that with ubisofts patch and the modders this game will be fantastic i never said that the game could not be modded or improved all im saying is I think its good and i dont need to be treated like crap now because i bought the game I spent alot of money on my machine to play this and I wont let ubisoft screw me on the money i spent, So maybe im not good at reviews like neal but at least I tried to give feedback on the game which is what people were asking.

Geesh, I'm not even buying the game, but I got his point. Damn, he gave his own opinion and you guys are in a pizzing contest over what a review is...seems he likes the game. If graphics are 100%, a mod will make them 150%...:salute:

Lt commander lare
03-03-10, 01:59 PM
no the reason were in a pizzing match is because the truth is that i shouldnt have bought the game and now people are offended when everyone that posted to my post said there would be no hard feelings if i bought the game and now im sorry i bought it

lt commander lare

Galanti
03-03-10, 02:19 PM
no the reason were in a pizzing match is because the truth is that i shouldnt have bought the game and now people are offended when everyone that posted to my post said there would be no hard feelings if i bought the game and now im sorry i bought it

lt commander lare

Now I'm a little confused...why shouldn't you have bought it?

Mud
03-03-10, 02:19 PM
Lare mate I´m glad you like the game :yeah:, oh and I bought it too but have to wait ´till tomorrow.

Damn I have go to work but I feel a headache coming up :har:

Mud

TDK1044
03-03-10, 02:21 PM

lt commander lare

What does it matter what anyone else thinks? Enjoy the game.

I am very happy that I stuck to my decision to wait at least six months and then assess the situation. Others are equally happy that they purchased it now.

It's an individual decision for everyone, but you don't need to apologise to anyone for your decision. :)

jmr
03-03-10, 02:29 PM
I'm still looking for the review.

Sailor Steve
03-03-10, 04:26 PM
I have no hard feelings at all. You ran a poll asking whether people thought you could buy it, and everybody said you should do what you like. Then you insisted you weren't going to buy it, and then you did. There is nothing wrong with that at all. I was just teasing you because I thought it was funny.

And I think I was the only one who actually said that. The other arguments were over the fact that you seemed to change from liking it to no liking it. To me there's nothing wrong with that either.

You shouldn't be sorry you bought it because of what someone else says. I'm glad you're having fun.:sunny:

Jimbuna
03-03-10, 04:48 PM

lt commander lare

Pay no attention and take no offence, we are all 'victims' of a little leg pulling from time to time.....do what is best for you. Your an individual with the right to choose what games you want to play.

SINK EM ALL!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Armistead
03-03-10, 04:51 PM

lt commander lare

Since when do we give a crap what these online no face you'll never meet whiners think, enjoy your game.