PDA

View Full Version : So, how is the gameplay?

Topcat357
03-02-10, 06:30 PM
I am mainly concerned about the gameplay in Silent Hunter 5. The few reviews I have read (including the one here on subsim.com) have given SH5 a pretty average review for Gameplay...which is fine...combined with the nice graphics upgrade, makes me still want to buy this game. But, recently I have read a few things that really make me wonder if this game is going to be playable for me:

1) we have to run back and forth to each different station for information? This does not sound fun...switching from periscope to map to sonar, etc. Does this work? It sounds like the RPG elements are getting in the way of the actual game.
2) targeting / TDC controls seem kinda screwy sounding
3) finding important info, like depth under keel, sonar info, etc sound more complicated than they should be.

I am not trashing the game..I have not played it yet. I am just wondering how it plays.

TC357

malkuth74
03-02-10, 06:36 PM
Its too early for me right now. But so far its different. Things have changed a whole lot, but the fuctions are all the same.

So far I don't really like how the TDC works at all. I like the auto TDC in SHIV and SHIII better. Where I could select things etc. Right now Im so lost in the new interface that I don't think things work correctly.

For instance the auto tdc seems odd. You just point and click the periscope at target and push button. LOL. But someone else suggested it doesn't work on moving targets right. And the first mission pits you against statinary targets.

Its almost like I don't have enough info.

The new map is nice, makes it easier to navigate with it being up any time you want. So driving from the bridge in port is easier.

Inside the ship is pretty nice too. But I have not seen any reactions from the AI yet. Don't think they are there. But I will still check.

Also It has that hollywood type filter that I hated in SHIV. You could turn it off and the graphics got more clear in SHIV.. BUt I can't find that option in SHV for some reason. Don't like that filter at all.

FIREWALL
03-02-10, 06:40 PM
Here's a suggestion. :hmmm:

How about reading the numorous other SH5 threads posted. :DL

CCIP
03-02-10, 06:44 PM
Pretty good. There's a few problems here and there but there is a surprising amount of very useful new features that I think most people haven't quite got a sense of. They'll really make an impact in the long run.

Rickenbacker
03-02-10, 06:50 PM
1) we have to run back and forth to each different station for information? This does not sound fun...switching from periscope to map to sonar, etc. Does this work? It sounds like the RPG elements are getting in the way of the actual game.
3) finding important info, like depth under keel, sonar info, etc sound more complicated than they should be.

It's playable, and fun, but not very well documented or explained in-game.

1. You can check the map anywhere, which is VERY nice - navigation is one of the things that works really well in this game (except no return to course command, for some reason).
2. I'm on my fifth war patrol, and I still don't know how the auto-TDC works. Or if it does, I think something is missing, as it seems to need you to lead the targets manually until the arrow turns green. A little silly if you ask me. On the other hand, feeding the targeting data to the XO manually is simpler than before, using a question/answer format that is pretty fun to use - if only it was explained in the manual, or anywhere at all. You can find out how to use all the bits and pieces here on the forum, though.
3. Nah, finding out the depth isn't complicated, you just can't do it :). Sonar info is fed to the map (unless you deselect that in the options), showing some new stuff that wasn't in SH4, like the estimated range each ship can spot/hear you from at your current speed. Works very well.

CCIP
03-02-10, 06:54 PM

It's not so much the RPG elements as just the redesign of the interface. There are some good new additions (like a minimap), but other things (like the decision to get rid of easy-access officer buttons and dials for depth/speed and especially course) irk me. I would like to have some of these things back.

There isn't too much running involved however. You will have no issue conducting attacks from your periscope station, without having to leave it.

No, they are very good. I miss the dials and some of the more obvious feedback from the game on how it's tracking the targets, but under the hood everything works very well. The ability to type in values for the target's speed/range etc. is VERY helpful. I would say it's the most functional TDC in an out-of-the-box SH yet. Its only problem is presentation.

Some of it is omitted. Some of it can be quickly fixed with a config change.

I hope patches do re-add easy access to some important information reports. IMHO, it's a little easy to lose situational awareness in the game at this point. While this does make the game more challenging, it also causes some unnecessary frustration at times.

Ragtag
03-02-10, 07:14 PM
The things i miss so far is the manual TDC for setting spread (Can't believe they removed that), depth under keel dial and rudder dial like depth and speed. I added "depth to keel" command but i rather have a dial to look at for immersion :)

Frederf
03-02-10, 09:43 PM

The thing is the devs made a system where you could run around the boat, but they made the periscope screen specifically so you can do everything from it which is as stupid as it sounds.

They kind of are. It's really a rework of the old notepad in speechbubble Madlib format. It's very "casual friendly" while lacking a lot of flexibility or resource to the advanced user.

Depth needs to modify the command file to assign a keystroke to it, easy enough if not annoying. Sonar should be interesting as there is a nice new "hydro mark" feature but possibly hard to use with the physical separation of the hydro and the conning tower.