PDA

View Full Version : First patch coming soon

dangrey
03-02-10, 11:18 AM
Here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=1121062387&m=9111035638&r=9111035638#9111035638

Sailor Steve
03-02-10, 11:20 AM
Yep. They did the same thing with SH4. In the rush to meet the deadline sometimes things must be left unfinished, so the patch is worked on even while the discs are being pressed.

I'm just glad they stay on top of it.

Heretic
03-02-10, 11:20 AM
Here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=1121062387&m=9111035638&r=9111035638#9111035638

good catch. I was just on the Ubi forum checking on the eta of the D/L version and didn't even notice that.

sofie_59
03-02-10, 11:21 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/ver1.3.5.2147483647/platform_images/blank.gif (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1121062387/m/9111035638?r=9111035638#9111035638)Posted Tue March 02 2010 17:08 The first Silent Hunter 5 patch is going to be released very soon and here is a list of the most important fixes:

- Issues with the crew abilities, dialogues and crew management page
- Bugs with submarines upgrades, including Flak guns, Hydrophone, Conning Towers, and some U-boat camouflages which were not properly displayed
- Bugs with the Macro-objectives in the dynamic campaign where some of them cannot be completed
- Several improvements and fixes were made on the interface like: depth control is properly displayed, keyboard fixes, added feedback when player use an ability, etc
- Bugs on damage system where submarine didn’t take damage in some conditions
- Issues with German voices and others texts on other localized versions
- Several issues with Uplay related to the redeemed items were fixed

Unfortunately, we are aware of two problems that are still present after the patch. Below you can find their description and a workaround for each one of them:

Problem 1: Sometimes the player can remain stuck between collision boxes and cannot move anymore

Workaround: By pressing SHIFT+U player will be repositioned in the command room of the submarine

Problem 2: In the following situation the player cannot access the UPlay rewards:

- The player has Windows Vista or Windows 7 installed
- Uses a standard user account (no admin rights)
- Silent Hunter 5 is installed in the c:\Program Files\Folder (to prevent this, the game is installed by default in c:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter5 – not in Program Files)
- In Windows Vista and Windows 7, the “Program Files” folder has special restrictions, that leads to this problem

Workaround: Don’t install the game into the “Program Files” directory

GK

alx100
03-02-10, 11:23 AM
great to see a patch resolving some issues coming out quick

MaciejK
03-02-10, 11:25 AM
So beta version again?

deja vu, it seems.

the good - they are working on it

the bad - it shouldn't happen

waiting for Neal's review, I think I will determine whether to buy the game or not basing on what is in the review.

Michal788
03-02-10, 11:33 AM
I hope they improve the interface a lot better.

razark
03-02-10, 11:33 AM
great to see a patch resolving some issues coming out quick

I wouldn't call it great. Instead of patching it the day, or week, it is released, it should have been released when it was ready.

I am glad to see they are supporting it.

Sailor Steve
03-02-10, 11:36 AM
the bad - it shouldn't happen

Instead of patching it the day, or week, it is released, it should have been released when it was ready.
The only problem I see there is that, with the limited number of testers and the time it takes to fix every problem, is that "when it was ready" could turn out to be 2015.

And even then the users will almost surely stumble upon something the devs still missed.

razark
03-02-10, 11:43 AM
The only problem I see there is that, with the limited number of testers and the time it takes to fix every problem, is that "when it was ready" could turn out to be 2015.

And even then the users will almost surely stumble upon something the devs still missed.

I think they need to hire a new Director of Quality Assurance, and a lot of testers, then. I remember they did they same thing with SH4. I had the patch downloaded and waiting before the box arrived at the door.

I remember quite a few games I played back in the DOS days that didn't require constant patching, or a patch on release day. I think the ease of internet access has led to a drop in quality control.

Instead of releasing the game when it is ready, it gets pushed out the door unfinished, and they players are supposed to calmly wait for a patch.

I would rather receive a quality, finished product, instead of having to wait for patches.

Ragtag
03-02-10, 11:47 AM
Awesome. The ability problems were driving me nuts. Kudos to the devs for the fast patching :)

Sailor Steve
03-02-10, 11:50 AM
I remember quite a few games I played back in the DOS days that didn't require constant patching, or a patch on release day. I think the ease of internet access has led to a drop in quality control.
True, but I've seen both sides of the complaint. Someone not too long ago pointed out that the AI in Aces Of The Deep was close to perfect, and with less than 10% of the coding in SH4, so why couldn't they get it right, or keep it right. Looking at that from the other side, with a game more that 4GB in size the chances increase dramatically that no matter what they do they're never going to catch it all.

Philipp_Thomsen
03-02-10, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't call it great. Instead of patching it the day, or week, it is released, it should have been released when it was ready.

LoL...

There's no such thing as "ready".

SH3 was released back in 2005, and modded to the bone, and yet it STILL can be improved.

I'm actually glad they released already, cos modders can work on SH5 better and faster than them.

razark
03-02-10, 12:00 PM
True, but I've seen both sides of the complaint. Someone not too long ago pointed out that the AI in Aces Of The Deep was close to perfect, and with less than 10% of the coding in SH4, so why couldn't they get it right, or keep it right. Looking at that from the other side, with a game more that 4GB in size the chances increase dramatically that no matter what they do they're never going to catch it all.

Sadly, yes, they're not going to catch everything. I don't expect them to. All software has bugs, and not all of them will show up often enough to be caught in testing. Some of them may be rare enough and small enough in affect to not be bothered with.

But the patch is being released on release day. They had time to know some of what was wrong, create a fix for it, get the patch ready for the consumers, and put it on the servers on release day.

That tells me they knew they were releasing a faulty product. And they know the customers would roll over and accept it, because that's they way it is done.

Imagine I were selling cars, and said "Hey, I'm releasing model X on March 2nd", and then proceeded to take your money for one. March 2nd rolls around, and you show up to pick up your car. I hand over the keys, and say "Come back in about an hour. We'll have the brakes ready to install then. Also, the gas tank leaks, but we're working on a patch for it. For now, work around it by not putting more than 4 gallons in it."

How long would my car company last?

There's no such thing as "ready".

But there sure as hell is such a thing as "unready".

Navarre
03-02-10, 12:12 PM
LoL...
I'm actually glad they released already, cos modders can work on SH5 better and faster than them.

But the task of modders should not be to iron out the negligence in development and project management! Unfortunately this has become already a standard with Ubisoft games:zzz:

razark
03-02-10, 12:21 PM
But the task of modders should not be to iron out the negligence in development and project management! Unfortunately this has become already a standard with Ubisoft games:zzz:

Exactly. There are some things that cannot be fixed by modders, also. I remember a few problems in SH3, such as saving near ships, saving under water, the crew management buttons, and having to move the watch officer back to the bridge manually. These were things that should have been caught in testing. I don't think I've seen any mods that could repair those.

- The depth control is now working properly

Depth control working in a submarine. That's the kind of thing that should have been caught.

Turbografx
03-02-10, 12:40 PM
Imagine I were selling cars, and said "Hey, I'm releasing model X on March 2nd", and then proceeded to take your money for one. March 2nd rolls around, and you show up to pick up your car. I hand over the keys, and say "Come back in about an hour. We'll have the brakes ready to install then. Also, the gas tank leaks, but we're working on a patch for it. For now, work around it by not putting more than 4 gallons in it."

How long would my car company last?

Not too long, better apply for some federal bail-out money so you can pay yourself off.

Von Taticus
03-02-10, 12:53 PM
Problem 2: In the following situation the player cannot access the UPlay rewards:

- The player has Windows Vista or Windows 7 installed
- Uses a standard user account (no admin rights)
- Silent Hunter 5 is installed in the c:\Program Files\Folder (to prevent this, the game is installed by default in c:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter5 – not in Program Files)
- In Windows Vista and Windows 7, the “Program Files” folder has special restrictions, that leads to this problem

Admin rights required on your PC ....... what the heck are they doing inside the users PC?:down:

Jander
03-02-10, 12:56 PM
it doesn't state anywhere that admin rights are required.

If you install the game in the program files folder under Vista or Win7, THEN you need admin rights.
But that's because in operating systems newer than XP, the program files folder has some kind of special protection which interferes with the game when you are not an admin. So, this is no evil "Ubi wants to hijack your computer" masterplan, but only a limitation or safety feature of Vista and Win7.

razark
03-02-10, 12:57 PM
Admin rights required on your PC ....... what the heck are they doing inside the users PC?:down:

The newer versions of Windows keep regular users from mucking about in the C:\Program Files directory. Both for security and protection from people who don't know what they're doing with the computer.

kylania
03-02-10, 12:58 PM

They aren't, that's the point. They try to install to C:\Ubisoft, but if someone manually installs to Program Files (usually by thinking "I won't install to my root! That's crazy!") then they run into problems.

So the work around really is to not try to work around anything.

Philipp_Thomsen
03-02-10, 01:27 PM
They aren't, that's the point. They try to install to C:\Ubisoft, but if someone manually installs to Program Files (usually by thinking "I won't install to my root! That's crazy!") then they run into problems.

So the work around really is to not try to work around anything.

1) Microsoft protecting the content of "program files" is a very good idea.
2) Installing any game in your OS hd or partition is a very bad idea.

MattDizzle
03-02-10, 01:37 PM

I am glad to see they are supporting it.

If you release a "broken" product with ubisoft accounts required to get the "Patch", making it work becomes another possible hangup for pirates. Maybe it takes 5 days to get a working torrented version up instead of 3, making ubisoft a little more money, which is the point.

TDK1044
03-02-10, 01:55 PM
The more I read, the happier I am not to have purchased......yet :)

jwilliams
03-02-10, 03:24 PM
I would rather wait for a game to be finished. I think publishers push the devs and as a result too many games are being released unfinished. Which would really suck if you didnt have access to the internet (This is in general, Not just SH5).

I like Blizzards attude towards rushed devolopment "It's ready when its ready".

blizzard never state a release date until the game is ready. I think other publishers should take a page out of Blizzards book.

I dont buy many games a year. So i would rather buy a diferent finished game, and wait for this one to be finished and buy at a later date.