PDA

View Full Version : Garbled green & red screen when using 1.4b patch ?

Paul Riley
03-02-10, 09:34 AM
:-?
I am almost ready to launch my first career after a while away from the game,and I just got the 1.4b patch from filefront.I launched the game but appear to have got a garbled green and red screen with blocky graphics on the intro screen (with the ship movie).I havent updated to GWX3 just yet,I wanted to fire the initial stock game up then proceed to apply all the neccessary mods etc I have waiting after I got the stock game up and running.
I am unsure as to whether this is linked to my graphics drivers (doubt it as all other games are fine) or I have a bad copy of the patch.
I suspect the patch is bad,so could someone provide me with a good link to the correct patch? (UK,DVD version)

*I seem to recall seeing this a LONG time ago with the stock game,is this a recognized bug?*

Thanks.

Paul Riley
03-02-10, 12:55 PM
After some thinking I seem to now suspect that it may in fact be linked to SP2 in XP.After the initial movie when loading SH3 has played the GWX loading screens appear normal,and the game also plays normally.I think I remember a similar problem affecting Legacy Of Kain Defiance,where the intro screen would look garbled but the game would play fine.Removing SP2 would eliminate the problem.
Does anyone have any experience of SP2 causing any anomalies (however small) in their games?

Thanks.

sharkbit
03-02-10, 01:13 PM
Are you sure your game wasn't already patched to 1.4?

Usually though, if you're already patched to 1.4, it won't let you even try and re-patch.

Another possibility-corrupted file from Filefront?
If you're not already patched to 1.4, try getting the patch directly from ubi's website.

That's the best I can come up with now.

Welcome back! :salute:

sharkbit
03-02-10, 01:15 PM
Oh yeah,
I run XP with SP3.
Ive never had problems with SP2or SP3.

:)

Paul Riley
03-02-10, 01:47 PM
Thanks sharkbit :up:

For the record,I just reinstalled the game and loaded it straight from stock and the corruption on the intro movie is still there,so at least I have ruled out SOME possibilities.Its not major and the game appears to run perfectly.At some point this week just to satiate my curiosity I will format my hard drive and leave the default XP files without upgrading to SP2,as I do think it is linked to SP2.
I also tonight installed the latest Catalyst drivers vers 10.2

Well,all seems to be good other than that,and I cant wait to get back out on the ocean in my new career,straight into August 1942,I believe this is the month my last game ended about 5 or 6mths ago!This is proof that you cant keep a good *sea* dog down :salute:

Paul Riley
03-02-10, 02:03 PM
Sharkbit,

As you mention you never have had any problems with either SP2 OR SP3 this brings into play the possibility of a conflict between either my graphics card,SP2 or Catalyst driver,or a combination of all 3.Finding the culprit is going to be easier now because the last time I was playing SH3 I was using default XP Home Edition and not SP2 and this glitch was not there.

My card is an aging Radeon X800 Pro (old I know :nope: ,but its still a good performer in most games up to about 2007 or 2008) I have ample memory (2GB) and use a page file of 4GB,even though most of that is not needed.

Can I just ask what card YOU have ?

Panser
03-02-10, 02:23 PM
I've not used XP for a while now, but I never had a problem with SH3 running on SP2 or SP3.

If you're having issues with only the intro video, then I would say it's either a driver issue or a video codec issue. Have you updated your drivers recently, or installed any software that may have modified your video codecs?

sharkbit
03-02-10, 02:25 PM
Can I just ask what card YOU have ?

I'm at work right now and I can't remember the exact model numbers.

My old rig, I had a 128MB Radeon.
My new rig(since 5/09) came with a Nvidia-128MB as well. The game looks a lot better on my new rig. Biggest thing with the new set up is the nights are not so dark I can't see my deck gun when compared to the Radeon.

I got SH4 last summer, and I'm not impressed with the look of the graphics on my rig. Probably a better card might make it look better though. I just need to convince the missus on why I need another graphics card for "a damned submarine game!". :D
I'll probably hold off and see how SH5 pans out and even if my computer will run it before investing in a different card though.

:)

Paul Riley
03-02-10, 02:25 PM
I knew there was one more thing before I can close this post.
When updating the game to 1.4 it actually says updating to 1.3,yet when I launch the game it says the game is 1.4.

Paul Riley
03-02-10, 02:28 PM
@panser

Could be anything at this rate mate,I am thinking its SP2 personally,it seems to be conflicting with my X800 Pro card.After I format my drive later in the week I will let you know what happens.

Cheers.

Panser
03-02-10, 02:32 PM
@panser
After I format my drive later in the week I will let you know what happens.
Cheers.

If you're going to format anyway, you might want to try downloading and installing CCCP - the Combined Community Codec Pack. If it helps, then brilliant. If it doesn't, then nothing's lost I guess.

http://www.cccp-project.net/

Paul Riley
03-02-10, 02:33 PM
@panser

Sorry,I forgot to answer your main question.I have recently updated my drivers to Catalyst 10.2,and I believe my old drivers when I last played SH3 were 9.8 or 9.9 ,cant remember.May be an idea to get hold of them drivers again and roll back.
And yes,there is only the small issue with the initial intro movie as soon as I launch the game,not the actual WWII footage in GWX3 with the red background.

Thanks again.

Paul Riley
03-02-10, 02:34 PM
@panser

Thanks for that link,I will try it later! :rock:

Jimbuna
03-02-10, 04:25 PM
I knew there was one more thing before I can close this post.
When updating the game to 1.4 it actually says updating to 1.3,yet when I launch the game it says the game is 1.4.

That is a typo that was never corrected...you do indeed have 1.4.

Regarding the graphics issue....I run GWX3.0 with SP3 on XP Pro without any problems so if this is a relatively new fault it is quite probable your new drivers are the cause, try rolling back to the previous version that wasn't giving you any strife (if you can remember what version they were).

Good Luck.

Sailor Steve
03-02-10, 06:05 PM
If you're not already patched to 1.4, try getting the patch directly from ubi's website.
Or get it right here at Subsim Downloads.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=158

Be warned though - this version has all the patches. You don't need them all, just the last one.

Paul Riley
03-03-10, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the support guys :up:

Jimbuna
03-03-10, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the support guys :up:

SINK EM ALL!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Paul Riley
03-03-10, 09:57 AM
As always Jim,as always.Cheers pal,looking forward to my first mission in about 6mths tonight.Been posted somewhere up near Iceland.Cant imagine much being up there other than a few lone merchants,there is however a convoy route somewhere to the S or SW of that area.