PDA

View Full Version : Sub Movies

gloog
02-28-10, 09:09 AM
Hi all

what better way to spend a lazy sunday am than watching Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster getting low down an dirty with Bungo Pete......quality.

Run Silent, Run Deep.....haven't seen it for years....great!

The models......ha ha ha.........still a great film though.

What's everybody elses fave Sub film?

Cheery

Filson
02-28-10, 11:44 AM
Operation Petticoat . . . heh.

Platapus
02-28-10, 11:54 AM
Destination Tokyo is always a favourite with me. So is Operation Pacific.

Anything but Crash Dive.

Friends don't let friends watch Crash Dive :nope:

Justin Case
02-28-10, 12:56 PM
Down Periscope....:haha: Kelsey Grammer

Bubblehead1980
02-28-10, 04:56 PM
Run Silent Run Deep is my favorite sub movie as far as WW II goes and Torpedo Run(even though its kind of far fetched and has some glaring issues like having FM sonar in mid war), a good movie thought.Of course Down Periscope is good for some laughs.

Hunt for Red October and Crimson Tide are favorites as well but as said, Run Silent Run Deep is the best.Wish they would remake it, with the great effects they can do now days, would be great.

Platapus
02-28-10, 05:27 PM
Run Silent Run Deep is the best.Wish they would remake it, with the great effects they can do now days, would be great.

Good god no! That movie would only be totally F-ed up if it were remade by today's hollywood. :nope:

jerm138
02-28-10, 05:31 PM
Red October and Crimson Tide make me vomit. It's not because of the complete lack of realism, but the characters and story are so far-fetched it's ridiculous.

Down Periscope is up there with my favorites. I always point people at this one when they ask what the most realistic submarine movie is. The characters in that one are spot on.

Of course, Das Boot is always great if you have a lot of time.

I recently watched "Below" and really liked it, even though it's a psychological thriller and not intended to be a war documentary. It's probably the most technically accurate US Submarine movie I've ever seen, and the characters are very believable as submariners.

I haven't seen Run Silent Run Deep, but haven't been very interested after hearing Capt Ned Beach's (the author) comments on it.

I'd really like to see "Submerged," a made for TV movie that told the story of Swede Momsen and the rescue of the Squalus survivors. I read the book ("The Terrible Hours") but can't find the movie anywhere.

jerm138
02-28-10, 05:36 PM
as a side note:

I'm amazed that there isn't a current large-production movie or miniseries about one of the fleet boats. Something to the tune of Saving Private Ryan, or Band of Brothers, but focusing on a legendary boat like the Tang. That story is so amazing that I honestly don't understand how producers don't see the goldmine there.

Of course, they'd probably get someone like Joel Schumacher to direct it and it would be worse than if they hadn't made anything in the first place.

Monica Lewinsky
02-28-10, 06:10 PM
Sub movies WWII era - my favorites:

Das Boot
Enigma (butchered by love story b.s. like Pearl Harbor, but I enjoy it)
Run Silent , Run Deep
The Enemy Below
Torpedo Run
We Dive At Dawn
U-Boat War DVD [a documentary not a movie] 3 DVD's
Titles: [inside the U-Boat War DVD case]
Sea Wolves
Attack America
Iron Coffins
Sub movies outside of the range of WWII [before/after]:

The Hunley
Crimson Tide
Ice Station Zebra
On The Beach
The Bedford Incident

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

No mention of U-571 was made or will ever be made [intentional] because it belongs in the movie Twister when Dusty was describing the SZ of a Tornado - [the] Suck Zone.

ETR3(SS)
02-28-10, 06:40 PM
Red October and Crimson Tide make me vomit. It's not because of the complete lack of realism, but the characters and story are so far-fetched it's ridiculous.

Down Periscope is up there with my favorites. I always point people at this one when they ask what the most realistic submarine movie is. The characters in that one are spot on. Spoken like a true submariner there! Couldn't agree more.:up:

RodBorza
02-28-10, 08:21 PM
Hunt for Red October. Like the history and the book is even better.
Don't like Crimson Tide. it is more a thriller than a sub movie.

Down periscope is funny - Always laugh when the sonar guy counts the change when the coins fall to the floor.. :har:

Run Silent, Run deep - never watched. Time to go look for it in that forgooten section on the video rental store...

jerm138
02-28-10, 10:26 PM
Good list of submarine movies here:

http://submarinemovies.com/movies-all-titles-A-Z.html

Inner Sound
03-11-10, 07:09 PM
Just watched "Below"

Had to hold gf's hand in the scary moments, but it's not cutting edge scary.

But the boat details are fab, I particularly liked the bulkhead doors with all their teeth and wheels - reminded me of Alien smiling.

Visually and acoustically it's a subsimmer's wet dream. (see what I did there?)

Bubblehead1980
03-11-10, 08:24 PM
as a side note:

I'm amazed that there isn't a current large-production movie or miniseries about one of the fleet boats. Something to the tune of Saving Private Ryan, or Band of Brothers, but focusing on a legendary boat like the Tang. That story is so amazing that I honestly don't understand how producers don't see the goldmine there.

Of course, they'd probably get someone like Joel Schumacher to direct it and it would be worse than if they hadn't made anything in the first place.

I agree on a movie or series(would prefer a HBO series, BOB was well done and have a feeling the upcoming Pacific will also) and have mentioned it in the forums before.I am usually not the letter writing type when it comes to movies etc but considering a letter perhaps with endorsements from people I know and those in the community here to Hanks and Spielberg(if cant find a way to actually reach them) suggesting the check out books like Clear the Bridge, Wahoo, Thunder Below etc since they may be looking for another project.Would love a realistic mini series on HBO.I want this just not for viewing pleasure but the side benefit of movies like Private Ryan and shows like BOB is they introduce many to history via entertainment, these guys deserve to have their stories told.The ground warfare part of WW II has been well documented, but no modern realistic WW II sub shows or movies, esp in the PTO.My Great-Grandfather(still alive and kicking at 90, almost 91) was an Officer in the Army in WW II, went ashore on D-Day and did not come home until Summer 1945, only war movie he's ever aproved of was Saving Private Ryan and he alsoloved Band of Brothers.I figure Hanks and Spielberg would do the Silent Service some justice.

Zoomer96
03-11-10, 10:58 PM
Run Silent, Run Deep is my favorite, too. Very partial to Operation Pacific also. I keep wanting a remake of Run Silent, Run Deep to go along more like the book. It would be a long movie though. Not a WWII movie but Submarine Command is a good one if you can find it. Das Boot beats them all as far as realism without all the Hollywood inspired personality clashes. Hellcats of the Navy the same way but still a good movie. Away All Boats is another book that turned into a good movie but not about subs.

Frenssen's Farts
03-12-10, 01:55 AM
I just re-watched Run Silent Run Deep last month for the first time in probably 10 years. I forgot Don Rickles was in the movie. It was apparently his first major Hollywood job.

I think for the time period the models and special effects are aren't that bad at all. You can tell they are models but it doesn't take you out of the movie.

I don't know. If done right it could be a good movie for a remake.

SubBadger
03-12-10, 04:12 AM
I've always enjoyed Submarine films. I think it comes from being brought up on "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea". (Although I'll admit that I enjoyed "Lost in Space" more.)

As you might expect then, underwater Sci-fi tends is a favourite genre, with films like "The Abyss" going right up my flag pole and getting a salute.

But in terms of more traditional sub films, I'd have to say that realistic or not (sorry purists) "The Hunt for Red October" and "Crimson Tide" probably have pride of place and along with "Top gun" are amoung the few films which always send me scampering off to re-install a PC game! The fact is that's why I'm here at the moment! Time spent with the ever Scottish Marco Ramius (sp?) had me digging out "SH4" again. "Top Gun" has me reaching for "Falcon 4" by the way.

Interestingly enough the thing all these sims have in common is that I seldom manage to delve much past their surface, before their demands on the old grey matter have me scurrying for cover and more often than not the delete button.... until the next time when the whole beautiful circle begins anew.

I recently watched "The Widow Maker" and I did enjoy it, but the strong feeling of having seen this story told on multiple occasions, weighed on me a little. I don't think I can name the films.. but it seems to me I must have seen two or three others with the same sacrifice to radiation theme. I bought "Das Boot" last year (Bargain for the extended edition) and I can't really remember the full plot now, but wasn't that another of them?

No that can't be right, it was WWII wasn't it?

Badger

FIREWALL
03-12-10, 04:20 AM
K-19 The Widow Maker like Das Boot are based on true stories.

SubBadger
03-12-10, 04:23 AM
K-19 The Widow Maker like Das Boot are based on true stories.
Yes I realize that. :salute:

Sailor Steve
03-12-10, 12:00 PM
Destination Tokyo is always a favourite with me. So is Operation Pacific.

Anything but Crash Dive.

Friends don't let friends watch Crash Dive :nope:
:O:

Friends don't let friends see live color footage of S-boats?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/SailorSteve/cap018.jpg

Or a Perch class?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/SailorSteve/cap017.jpg

Or an early war 77-foot Elco at full throttle in choppy water?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/SailorSteve/cap016.jpg

Yes, the movie is heavily cliched, and the love-triangle story is awful. But the dynamic between the Chief and the Steward is fun, with an early role for a black actor that isn't blatantly condescending, and the boats themselves make it worth keeping on my shelf, especially since it was so cheap.

So there.:D

Admiral8Q
03-12-10, 12:16 PM
As you might expect then, underwater Sci-fi tends is a favourite genre, with films like "The Abyss" going right up my flag pole and getting a salute.

That movie really fired up my imagination when I was a kid!:salute:

Armistead
03-12-10, 04:01 PM
You can watch several WW2 movies free. I just watch
http://www.eztakes.com/store/movie/We-Dive-At-Dawn-Movie-Download.jsp

Course the standard love stuff in the beginning. Good scene of loading torps on a sub. Movie about British sub. Hard to deal with all the movie drama, but I love the old movies for the real footage of ships.

Platapus
03-12-10, 08:00 PM
:O:

So there.:D

pbpbpbpbpbbp!

Ok if we could kill all the love triangle stuff out and all the kid scenes and cut the film down to the 30 minutes of actual submarine time, it would be a good movie.

Admiral8Q
03-13-10, 05:58 AM
What would it be like?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqrqrJERcIw

Sailor Steve
03-13-10, 12:51 PM
Ok if we could kill all the love triangle stuff out and all the kid scenes and cut the film down to the 30 minutes of actual submarine time, it would be a good movie.
:rotfl2::yep:

On the other hand, that's true of have the naval and airplane movies out there, from Wings to Top Gun.

cdrsubron7
03-13-10, 06:12 PM
I've only seen the movie mentioned once but I think it is a great movie. Torpedo Run starring Glenn Ford and Ernst Borgnine ranks at the top of the list for me.