PDA

View Full Version : Windows repair function..

Armistead
02-27-10, 09:25 AM
I've got a problem I can't solve. I don't think it's hardware related. I only have two games, one is old Sid Meyers Gettysburg that takes nothing to run and SH4.

When I boot my monitor will get to the windows screen. You can barely make it out, very faded and it hangs there. Reboot a second time and it boots fine.

Also, all my games are locking up regardless after I play them for awhile. Other than that the PC works fine. I've reworked drivers, settings, tweaks, ect., checked for viruses, ect...all the stuff we do...

My son did something to my soundcard. It worked fine before and his card went bad, so he stole mine when I was out of town. He replaced it and said he could never get it working right. Took me forever, but even though it played sound, the PCI slot showed in devices as not installed. I finally got all showing where it works, unistalled and replaced drivers, but something isn't right. I have no idea what other files he played with. I took another soundcard I have and tried it and it does the same thing. May not be sound at all, but right before it goes black sound goes funny and it obviously started with sound.
Could be he just screwed other files out...

I noticed he used a backed up registry, but wondering how that would work since other drivers and apps were later installed.

Anyway, has anyone ever used the repair function in Windows instead of a complete install. All the data should be safe, but I was wondering what it doe's to your drivers. All my drivers come seperate on another disc which of course have long been replaced by newer drivers. I've got all the drivers loaded where I can reintall them, I just wondered if the repair function replaced them back to a win standard.

I just can't stand to go through a complete reinstall. Even with my back ups, it's just so much....hoping this will work...

No, I keep system restore off on my gaming rig along with most services, may be worth keeping on.

Rockin Robbins
02-27-10, 01:28 PM
I've done that with Windows XP. You just install normally, don't select any of the repair options. It pops up finally with a "Hey! You already have Windows installed. Do you want to repair it?" Only then do you say yes and it repairs your existing installation without changing any settings.

Of course, Murphy's Law dictates that Vista and 7 probably upgraded that feature to one that completely nukes your system. If that's what you're running, better check with someone with first-hand experience before venturing forth.

clayp
02-27-10, 02:10 PM
Hey bud I have never used it...Wish I could tell you what to do..Are you sure the SC is hooked up correctly? Is it seated all the way?

Armistead
02-27-10, 04:45 PM
Oh yea....checked a hundred times...I just think some files somewhere are missing.

Guess it's time to find out...

clayp
02-28-10, 11:35 PM
What happened?:hmmm: