PDA

View Full Version : question: deck gun upgrading

taukarrie
02-26-10, 04:43 PM
getting a little confused here. when browing my upgrades between missions i notice that even though ive got the "4 50 cal deck gun (stern mounting)" there appears to be an option to waste renown point by choosing the same upgrade again.. over and over until im out of points if i choose to.

seems like my sub can only mount a stern gun but i can also choose a bow gun to replace the stern gun... but its still a stern gun when i go to mission.

is this just a sloppy design or am i missing something?

also.. whats the difference between a (4 50 cal deck gun) and a (3 50 cal deck gun)? near as i can tell you only get one gun whether its 50 cal or not. maybe im just not familiar with some kind of actual naval weapon terminology here.

hooligansteve
02-26-10, 05:18 PM
It should really be 3.50 caliber or 4.50 caliber. I.e. 3.5 inches or 4.5 inches. The diameter of the inside of the gun barrel. As for the mounting 'glitch', you got me.

peabody
02-26-10, 05:22 PM
getting a little confused here. when browing my upgrades between missions i notice that even though ive got the "4 50 cal deck gun (stern mounting)" there appears to be an option to waste renown point by choosing the same upgrade again.. over and over until im out of points if i choose to.

seems like my sub can only mount a stern gun but i can also choose a bow gun to replace the stern gun... but its still a stern gun when i go to mission.

is this just a sloppy design or am i missing something?

also.. whats the difference between a (4 50 cal deck gun) and a (3 50 cal deck gun)? near as i can tell you only get one gun whether its 50 cal or not. maybe im just not familiar with some kind of actual naval weapon terminology here.

The gun is available to buy during a certain time period, and it lists all upgrades available. You may buy a new gun, find out you prefer the old one and change back again. As for the bow upgrade being a stern in game you will need to provide some information. Date, sub, gun, any MOD installed, any info that would help find the problem is there is one, or explain the situation if there is not problem.

As for the 4/50 and 3/50. The 4/50 shoots a 4 inch shell the 3/50 shoots a 3 inch shell. The caliber of an artillary gun is not the same as it is on a rifle.

Wiki definition:
The length of artillery barrels has often been described in terms of multiples of the bore diameter e.g. a 4-inch gun of 50 calibers would have a barrel 50 x 4 inches = 200 inches long.

Peabody

taukarrie
02-26-10, 05:32 PM
well that makes sense. i guess the omission of a lowley decimal point can really throw me off.

but it does seem to be the case that you can just "upgrade" to the exact same weapon over and over just to spend your renown away. a design oversight i guess.

as far as the stern/bow thing i guess theyre just letting me know that both stern and bow guns are available regardless of the fact that my sub can only mount on the stern.. a little silly but at least i get it now.

thanks for the info

Brig
01-26-13, 03:56 PM
It should really be 3.50 caliber or 4.50 caliber. I.e. 3.5 inches or 4.5 inches. The diameter of the inside of the gun barrel. As for the mounting 'glitch', you got me.

Actually in US Navel terminology 3in 50cal is seen as the projectile is 3in, the barrel length is 50cal (barrel length is 3in x 50 = 150in or 3.81 meters). As same for 4in 50cal (barrel length is 4 inch x 50 = 200 inches or 5 meters) so going with the 3in 50cal will be a smaller deck gun with shorter range. With 4in 50cal you will have a bigger gun and longer range.
(the more you know)

As for the problem I would say it's a glitch, usually I either reload an earlier point or restart.

Nisgeis
01-26-13, 06:06 PM
You just necroposted to a thread that was three years old to say what Peabody already said. I don't think the OP has logged in since 2010, neither has the person you quoted so I don't think they care.

Beware the search facility. It trickses us it does.

Sniper297
01-26-13, 06:18 PM
To answer the original question for anyone coming along later;

i can also choose a bow gun to replace the stern gun... but its still a stern gun when i go to mission.

I get the same thing - unless I go to the crew screen first, MOVE THE TWO CREWMEMBERS out of the gun position into the repair crew position. When the stern gun crew position is occupied you'll get that problem, if it's empty THEN you can replace with a bow cannon and it will stay that way.

Nisgeis
01-26-13, 06:22 PM
When I was in the navy, I was based at Bally Button in Scotland. It was a Navel base.

Webster
01-27-13, 12:35 AM
wow :o

a 3 year old necro thread

Arlo
01-27-13, 10:49 AM
http://www.icanhasinternets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/zombie.jpg

Sailor Steve
01-27-13, 10:49 AM
wow :o

a 3 year old necro thread
Yep. And for a change, I fell for it. :dead: