PDA

View Full Version : Mission end!

gloog
02-25-10, 02:50 PM
Hi all

How often in real life do you think a mission ended without a contact, ie returning to base with no fuel and a full compliment of torpedoes?

Did this ever happenin the war?

It's just that I've completed my missions and am busy looking for some action, Feb 13th 1942 and I'm patrolling the southern Celebes Sea and the choke points at the eastern end without a single sighting. Running low on go juice too!
Perhaps the IJN have not decided to strike out in that direction as yet or maybe they've got intel that I'm in the area. I'll stick with the former suggestion.

If I wasn't low on fuel I'd take a hike up the east coast by Davao, perhaps a bit farther north.....low fuel though.

cheers!

jerm138
02-25-10, 03:39 PM
Hi all

How often in real life do you think a mission ended without a contact, ie returning to base with no fuel and a full compliment of torpedoes?

It's just that I've completed my missions and am busy looking for some action, Feb 13th 1942 and I'm patrolling the southern Celebes Sea and the choke points at the eastern end without a single sighting. Running low on go juice too!
Perhaps the IJN have not decided to strike out in that direction as yet or maybe they've got intel that I'm in the area. I'll stick with the former suggestion.

If I wasn't low on fuel I'd take a hike up the east coast by Davao, perhaps a bit farther north.....low fuel though.

cheers!

You're not running at Flank (or even Full) speed during your patrols are you? I made this mistake when I first started playing and my fuel wouldn't last long enough to see a contact.

Also, once you've completed the required amount of patrol time, if you feel like the area is dry, you can send a status report and then you will receive orders to patrol a different area. Maybe you'll get lucky and be assigned to a hot spot like the Luzon Straight.

magic452
02-26-10, 02:57 AM
Many captains did return home with a full load of fish and low fuel.

Shouldn't happen in the game. I assume you are out of Manila, so you should have plenty of fuel if you use it right.

Patrol on the surface at no more than 10 knots. Submerge only when necessary and only at low speed 3kn. or less for as little time as possible.
Full and flank speed and charging batteries eat fuel, use them only if necessary.

Magic

TH0R
02-26-10, 03:05 AM
Shouldn't happen in the game. I assume you are out of Manila, so you should have plenty of fuel if you use it right.

Happened to me only once in SH4. On other patrols I always got at least one ship.

Dread Knot
02-26-10, 09:23 AM
Hi all

It happened a great deal towards the end of the war. The reason was a lack of targets. A lot of the boats commisioned in 1945 never got to sink a thing.

Jan Kyster
02-26-10, 09:39 AM
You may be inspired by the real deal?

http://hnsa.org/doc/subreports.htm

A very nice collection of released War Patrol Reports... :salute: