PDA

View Full Version : Poll Subsim Meet Destination 2010

Onkel Neal
02-24-10, 07:16 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=165&pictureid=1336

To all members of Subsim across the globe:

We are gearing up for the next great Subsim meeting. This is a fantastic event and you don't want to miss it. Our previous Subsim meets have been very successful and this one will top them all.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Carotio/LBS/DSC00665b.jpg

Here is the official meeting poll. If you think you will attend the meet, vote here. This is to gauge the level of interest in a meeting this Sept and the destination. Note: the final destination will be one of these three candidates, not necessarily the one that gets the most votes, though. We will be giving extra consideration to the members who have attended past meetings and who plan to attend this one.

Q1. The 2010 Meet will be held in the US in Sept. Do you plan to attend and if yes, how certain are you that you will make it? Post you answer in this thread, then vote for the destination. If you do not think you will come, please don't vote :)

Q2. If you plan to attend, which destination do you prefer?

New London, Conn.: US Navy base, USS Nautilus (first nuclear sub), Sonalysts tour (Sub Command, Dangerous Waters), USS Constitution and historic Boston road trip (3 hours both ways (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=New+London,+CT&daddr=Charlestown+Navy+Yard,+Boston,+MA+02129+(Cha rlestown+Navy+Yard)&hl=en&geocode=FYYJdwIdP9mz-ym9zRK2bg7miTGdkyuc5gMW0A%3BFYyThgIdVdDD-ykzZd9J9HDjiTGQB7Ehco92oQ&mra=ls&sll=41.668809,-71.043091&sspn=3.093881,7.124634&ie=UTF8&ll=41.828642,-71.309509&spn=1.543124,3.562317&z=9)) with a stop at the world's largest naval museum, Battleship Cove: USS Lionfish, a Balao Class submarine, USS Massachusetts, a South Dakota class Battleship, USS Joseph P. Kennedy a Gearing class Destroyer, National PT BoatMuseum (including two WW2 era PT Boats); possible road trip to USS Growler sub in New York City (4.5 hours both ways (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=New+London,+Connecticut&daddr=12th+Ave+%26+W+46th+St,+New+York&geocode=FYYJdwIdP9mz-ym9zRK2bg7miTGdkyuc5gMW0A%3BFb8DbgIded6W-ynVP1jkTljCiTEl6FsVIsBBEA&hl=en&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=40.764015,-73.996718&sspn=0.006127,0.013915&ie=UTF8&ll=41.205523,-72.796783&spn=0.696374,1.119232&z=10)).

San Diego, CA: Star of India, HMS Surprise, B-39 Russian Submarine, USS Dolphin sub (AGSS 555), US Navy base

Chicago, Ill.: U-505 U-boat, road trip to USS Cobia sub in Manitowoc, Wisconsin (6 hour both ways (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Manitowoc&daddr=chicago&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=31.653381,-99.887695&sspn=28.027673,56.99707&ie=UTF8&z=8))

Thanks!
Neal

]As a veteran of three meets now (and the holder of the coveted Subsim's "most attended" award :DL ), I've collected some great memories, but feel I have to say this one was a bit special .... I was unable to attend the full programme because of business committments, but was determined to experience the UC3 Nautilus. :cool: Ok why a bit special ? Basically, all of you guys. I felt thoroughly welcome despite the fact that I joined the trip at a later stage and didn't really know most of you from the SH forums.

I haven't had time to post yet, but I just wanted to thank you all for a great couple of days. I have not had so much fun for quite a while :). Hope you see you guys again at a subsim meet in the future.
Oliver (The only tugboat captain in the world using a 10 foot speedboat :))

For me, it have been 4 days of fun and excitement and lifetime memories. I even had the great pleasure to meet Neal's dad. We had many conversation about farming in USA contra Denmark. I'll do almost everything to make his dream come true.
Markus

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=165&pictureid=1338

That was one hell of a meeting everyone....a meeting I will never forget. A big vote of thanks from me and the Grey Wolves guys to Neal and all the rest of you.

Anyway guys, thanks very much for the experience of a lifetime. Great to meet you all. Special thanks to the Rumanian Devs, the Danish 'liason officers', that Texan guy Neal Stevens and especially Peter Madsen for letting us dive on the UC3 Nautilus. God bless all who sail in her:salute:

http://www.subclub.info/wpl/2005_meet/pics2.21.jpg

It's been more than great meeting all you guys! And the USS Texas is beyond words.

A big 'salute' to all my 'Copenhagen Subsim pals':rock:

http://www.subsim.com/meet08/1house13.jpg

Was truely a great time. :rock: Many Thanks Neal, for hosting the meet. And was a pleasure to have met everyone. The whole trip was great!! Just the fact that We got to meet so many of the SubSim people was outstanding!!

Got to say it was truly a memorable trip if nothing else for the infamous limo hijaking and the Lehmann proof door. A corker of a visit Neal and yes I will check out an itinerary for an Aussie Subsim meet for a couple of years from now. Want to give everyone some time to save up for the trip.

http://www.subclub.info/wpl/2005_meet/GrpPub0001.jpg

Chad
02-24-10, 07:42 PM
As much as I'd love to see U-555, it's only an 8 hour drive, and there's talks about my Mom taking me there for my birthday this year.

However, as my Dad is also interested in attending this year, I want it special for both of us, somewhere neither of us have ever been, the east coast.

That being said, both of us are happy and content on attending, wherever it be.

FIREWALL
02-24-10, 08:01 PM
Lets see. :hmmm: I live in Southern California.

I wonder which site I'll pick ? :D

Hey!!! Isn't there a submarine ride at Disneyland ? :haha:

Carotio
02-24-10, 08:09 PM
To be honest, I don't really care. I mean all cities seem to be interesting and worth a visit. Though either New London (closest and the shortest trip from Europe) or San Diego (having far out relatives there) would be one of my choices. I'm gonna vote later, I think. I guess this is just to find out a temporary idea, which city is the most popular?

How certain? Hmmm... it entirely depends whether I have a new job after the summer vacation or not. Finishing my thesis soon will mean job hunting in a couple of months. If I don't have one, I will be having the time, and thus I can attend. If I have a new job, then probably not. So right now, it looks like 50/50.

AVGWarhawk
02-24-10, 08:25 PM
New London is like the Makka for submarines. This one I can attend :D Make it Groton CT!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groton,_Connecticut

Rip
02-24-10, 08:37 PM
I picked Chicago for the u-boat presence and it is closer, but Rotten Groton would be awesome as well.

Rip

GoldenRivet
02-24-10, 09:07 PM
i originally had Chicago in mind.

but then i saw San Diego as an option... i remember when i worked in LA, how fun San Diego could be :up:

so... SOCAL gets my vote this time around.

though Chicago would be more central to the USA

Pit
02-24-10, 09:21 PM
I know we have met... almost unofficially.... in New London before and went through the museum there.... and by the way Neal, I STILL get a LOT of use out of that book, it holds the main center piece on my living room coffee table!! :rock: :salute: (you nee to post photos of THAT meet!!! :up:)

So, I would opt for San Diego this time. :D (I REALLY wish I could have made the last one.... pneumonia like to have did me in though... spent 6 days in the hospital!!)

Later and salute to all,
Pit

nikimcbee
02-25-10, 02:22 AM
They would both be cool.:yeah: If new london, which airport wold be the central location? Hartford?

martes86
02-25-10, 05:28 AM
I've never been to the USA (always dreamt of a nice trip there), and while Chicago holds another U-Boot (I also dream of visiting ALL U-Boot still intact), I can't really decide any specific place, because they all sound so awesome... and it's the USA! I've never been there, so anywhere will do.
And with the awesome events of the 2009 meet (BTW, off-topic, but, the videos for the 19th or "2nd Nautilus dive day", which I'm in the process of producing, might end up being cut into a 2 or 3-parter just like the 18th, 10 minutes each, due to the massive materials in storage), I'd very much like to repeat the experience. And if possible, sail in another cool boat and act as we were a true crew. :yep:

I'm not 100% certain if I'll be able to attend (due to the usual economic and work-load uncertainty), but it is my intention to go. :DL

Cheers :rock:

martes86
02-25-10, 08:32 AM
Note to Neal: I keep seeing a big empty "Notices" box in the forum. It lead me to this thread, but just because I clicked it blindly, without knowing what it was about. :haha:

Lt commander lare
02-25-10, 09:47 AM
Please make it u505 in chicago I live in michigan and I have been to the sub 4 times since it was set in the basement and its perfect for a subsim meet and there is so much to see there and I know i could make it I would like to see all you guys and meet all of u and belive me u505 would be best for the release of silent hunter 5 even though the drm sucks it looks like a really cool game thats going to be alot of fun playing so please make it chicago

Lt Commander Lare

mookiemookie
02-25-10, 09:53 AM
They would both be cool.:yeah: If new london, which airport wold be the central location? Hartford?

Yes, you could do Bradley airport in Hartford Springfield, or even TF Green in Providence RI. Not much difference in terms of driving time.

Having gone to the University of Connecticut, but never having been to Groton, that's my vote.

If indeed we do CT, you can con your wives/girlfriends into going by saying you'll take her on a side trip to the Newport Mansions in RI. They're super impressive, and chicks eat up that kind of stuff. :yeah:

Sailor Steve
02-25-10, 10:10 AM
Connecticut? Road trip to walk the deck of the Constitution? That's like a dream come true to me.

On the other hand I know I can get to San Diego, so my vote went there.

AVGWarhawk
02-25-10, 11:49 AM
CT is my first choice. IL is my second. I would like to see U505. CA is a stretch for me.

Onkel Neal
02-25-10, 12:06 PM
Is everyone picking the location that's closest to where they live?

Te Kaha
02-25-10, 12:39 PM
Voted for San Diego.

Let's see if I can make it.

Te Kaha
02-25-10, 12:40 PM

No, I prefer the one the farthest away :salute:

martes86
02-25-10, 01:33 PM

For me it's a transoceanic flight anyways, so, no. :DL

FIREWALL
02-25-10, 02:00 PM

Gee Whiz :p2: ... What gave you that idea. :haha:

Pit
02-25-10, 02:09 PM

Not really.... just don't have much desire to go North East or to Chicago in September... the weather typically starts to get chilly there in September.... and I have spent WAY WAY WAY to much time in the Chicago area and dealing with O'Hare, and Milwakee this year (well the last 14 months) to have any desire to go there. :arrgh!::dead:

martes86
02-25-10, 02:26 PM
Not really.... just don't have much desire to go North East or to Chicago in September... the weather typically starts to get chilly there in September.... and I have spent WAY WAY WAY to much time in the Chicago area and dealing with O'Hare, and Milwakee this year (well the last 14 months) to have any desire to go there. :arrgh!::dead:

Chilly is good for me. In my city, September is usually a hot month, with 30+ Celsisus degrees temperatures.

mookiemookie
02-25-10, 02:37 PM

Nope. I'm going to be in Chicago for a conference in April and I've schedule time in to see U-505, and I think a 6 hour roadtrip to the Cobia in Wisconsin is a bit much to ask, so Chicago is out for me.

San Diego is nice, but very expensive. Second choice.

Connecticut is very familiar to me. I lived there for 4 years, never saw the Nautilus and always wanted to see Battleship Cove, so that makes it the clear choice for me. :yeah:

AVGWarhawk
02-25-10, 04:50 PM

No, either Chicago or Groton is about the same for me. However, Groton has more to offer as far as nautical. Lobster! Chicago has Rush St, beer and deep dish pizza! :D U-505 I want to see as well. Either is fine by me.

Chad
02-25-10, 05:27 PM
No, either Chicago or Groton is about the same for me. However, Groton has more to offer as far as nautical. Lobster! Chicago has Rush St, beer and deep dish pizza! :D U-505 I want to see as well. Either is fine by me.

While Chicago is definitely closer, New London would be more special.

But to quote AVG, either is fine :up:

Von Hinten
02-25-10, 06:14 PM

Euhm, yeah, kinda. Is that bad?

But it is also closest to a person whom I have the privilege to being friends with but who I have never met. He lives on the East coast and my intention is to visit him whenever I first set foot on US soil, so New London got my vote. I'm pretty sure I'll have a blast whenever and wherever we all meet again so in all honesty: I just looked at where the city's are.

mookiemookie
02-25-10, 06:47 PM
However, Groton has more to offer as far as nautical.

I think it's the best choice because there's so much naval history all within very reasonable driving distance. The Intrepid and Growler in NYC, the Nautilus in Groton, all of Boston, especially Battleship Cove and the Lionfish, the Freedom Trail, the USS Constitution.

But that's just my opinion. :)

Sharkstooth
02-25-10, 07:22 PM
Chicago definitely has my vote... for a couple of very important reasons (to me)

1. I live there. :)

2. Because I live there, I'll be able to participate in helping to find hotels and places in the area for others coming in from far away.

3. The U505 exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry is phenomenal now that they have finished renovating it. Not sure about the one in Wisconsin.

4. Nothing like shopping in Chicago. :)

5. Chicago Pizza

There are many more reasons... but I'll stop here for now.

KL-alfman
02-25-10, 07:23 PM
I like all of the places.
but voted for Connecticut ....
will see if I can stay for real holidays (20days mayhaps) and travel a large portion of the country. will be my first visit as well.
look forward to it!!
all the same where it will take place finally.

(chances for attending: 79%)

Chad
02-25-10, 07:27 PM
Chicago definitely has my vote... for a couple of very important reasons (to me)

GASP!!! :o

Look what the cat dragged in :D

Sailor Steve
02-25-10, 07:28 PM
Chicago definitely has my vote...
I wanna change my vote!:D

Hanomag
02-25-10, 07:56 PM
U-505 Herr Kaluen!!!! :arrgh!:

Pretty sure I can make it. Not 100%..yet.

longam
02-25-10, 08:13 PM
5 hours from Chicago

ReallyDedPoet
02-25-10, 08:58 PM
Someday I'll get to this. Going to see
U2 in Montreal this summer, so that's
my trip for the year.

FIREWALL
02-25-10, 09:00 PM

1. I live there. :)

2. Because I live there, I'll be able to participate in helping to find hotels and places in the area for others coming in from far away.

3. The U505 exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry is phenomenal now that they have finished renovating it. Not sure about the one in Wisconsin.

4. Nothing like shopping in Chicago. :)

5. Chicago Pizza

There are many more reasons... but I'll stop here for now.

And I always thought you were an Urban Legend around here. :03:

Onkel Neal
02-25-10, 10:13 PM
So far, it's pretty even.

Pit
02-26-10, 12:43 PM
And I always thought you were an Urban Legend around here. :03:

She IS an urban legend!!! :D:har:

And obviously still lurks in the waters!!! :D

FIREWALL
02-26-10, 12:53 PM
Without looking at poll, the shure winner my bet is, Chicago.

Sorry I don't do cold weather. Will have to settle for all the pics posted. Again. :-?

Hey You can all go to the Jerry Springer Show too !!! :har:

AVGWarhawk
02-26-10, 03:59 PM
Well, doing the miles for me Chicago is twice the distance than Groton. I have been to Chicago before many moons ago. This is how I know of Rush St and good deep dish pizza. I was actually delivering my friend to Milwaukee as he could not drive....broken back and in a cast you see. Both spots are ok with me. But I do lean towards Groton as it is the quintessential submarine place of submarine places. :yeah:

krashkart
02-26-10, 11:19 PM
I'm within driving distance of Chicago. If I can make it to a meet one of these years, I should warn y'all ahead of time that I write a lot more than I actually speak. A bit on the shy side. ;)

August
02-27-10, 09:38 AM
As I'm only an hour or so away, I vote for Connecticut.

Also to sweeten the east coast pie a bit, don't forget Battleship Cove in Fall River. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_Cove

It bills itself as the worlds largest Naval ship museum.

Besides being just a stones through away from my back yard deck and it's barbecue grill. in just one stop we could tour:

The USS Lionfish, a Balao Class SUBMARINE!.
The USS Massachusetts, a South Dakota class Battleship
The USS Joseph P. Kennedy a Gearing class Destroyer
The Hiddensee, an East German Navy (The EGs had a Navy? :o) Corvette
And The National PT BoatMuseum (including two WW2 era PT Boats)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/ParkCoveBattleship.jpg

Onkel Neal
02-27-10, 10:20 AM
Oh my, how did I overlook Fall River? A battleship and a sub only an hour and a half from New London (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=New+London,+CT&daddr=fall+river,+ma&hl=en&geocode=FYYJdwIdP9mz-ym9zRK2bg7miTGdkyuc5gMW0A%3BFXNQfAIdm0LC-ymVNc3sxvjkiTFho6IFGOWYpQ&mra=ls&sll=41.5497,-71.586914&sspn=2.770741,4.476929&ie=UTF8&ll=41.578471,-71.589661&spn=0.69239,1.119232&z=10)?

I think we have a winner. But you and your barbecue grill have to help me and Bill with the meet :03: I've never had New England BBQ before, I thought that was like unicorns and bug free games...

Also to sweeten the east coast pie a bit, don't forget Battleship Cove in Fall River. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship_Cove

Besides being just a stones through away from my back yard deck and it's barbecue grill. in just one stop we could tour:

Herz
02-27-10, 11:08 AM
CT or IL would be awesome. That place you just posted in CT Neal looks awesome. I may not be the most active poster, but I'd definitely go to one of those.

Onkel Neal
02-27-10, 11:12 AM
CT or IL would be awesome. That place you just posted in CT Neal looks awesome. I may not be the most active poster, but I'd definitely go to one of those.

I'm counting on it, man. :salute: You don't have any idea how much fun these meets are until you attend one.

rik007
02-27-10, 12:54 PM
IL, My ticket to visit the U-505. I love to see that one!!!

Kresge
02-27-10, 12:56 PM
Yeah, a Subsim meet in possible driving distance for me (Detroit)! Groton sounds cool too, but I don't think I'd be able to fit that in my schedule since I already have a long road trip down to Charleston planned for April (Yorktown and Clamagore there).

The USS Silversides lives in Muskegon, Michigan, which isn't too far of a hike from Chicago. Might be something to look into for a field trip.

sav112
02-27-10, 12:58 PM
Wow
"Battleship Cove"
Now that does look fantastic.

Sorry for butting in as I’m in Scotland. But over here things like this are normally ruined with “Health & Safety” We went mad over here in the UK.:damn:

Can you walk on the deck of the SUB and ships and have full access to them? Over here you’d get a small part and not be allowed on the decks unless you had life jackets I kid you not……..

August
02-27-10, 01:03 PM
But you and your barbecue grill have to help me and Bill with the meet :03: I've never had New England BBQ before, I thought that was like unicorns and bug free games...

How about an authentic New England Clam bake? Steamers, quahogs, "lobstah", corn on the cob and all the other fixin's. I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it. :DL

August
02-27-10, 01:14 PM
Wow
"Battleship Cove"

Sorry for butting in as I’m in Scotland. But over here things like this are normally ruined with “Health & Safety” We went mad over here in the UK.:damn:

Can you walk on the deck of the SUB and ships and have full access to them? Over here you’d get a small part and not be allowed on the decks unless you had life jackets I kid you not……..

IIRC you can not only walk on all of them you can go below and that includes the sub.

Onkel Neal
02-27-10, 01:23 PM
Wow
"Battleship Cove"

Not only go below, I can get us a sleepover. How would you like to spend the night aboard a WWII submarine :hmmm: ask NikiMcBee and Mookie about that.

Lurchi
02-27-10, 01:37 PM
Honestly, i don't have a feeling for the distances but thinking of the Nautilus, the ships in Battleship Park, the ones in New York and maybe the Constitution in Boston then this New England thing seems impossible to beat from a naval enthusiast's standpoint.

Maybe i should make a two or three week holiday from this :hmmm:

krashkart
02-27-10, 01:47 PM
Beginning to sound like a three-for-one to me. :)

Sledgehammer427
02-27-10, 02:02 PM
I'm tossed between Chicago (I'm only 3 hours away) and New London (my mother lives .3 hours away)

I'm surprised the guys at the Nautilus/Sub Force Museum don't know me by name. I've been to Battleship Cove 3-4 times. I'd definitely come, but I'll have to talk to my mother about booking a flight up there.

As for Chicago, I'm not too familiar with the area (but I am with New London, weird) but I've been to the U-505 2-3 times. Last time I was there was a couple years ago. But once we get the transmission fixed on my Olds and depending on whether or not we can convince my girlfriends mother (long story there) I could make the trip myself (hopefully not by myself.)

So I could possibly be at either one of those two, Chicago more likely than New London. I know an army/navy surplus store in Groton that would make quite a few of us military enthusiasts go nuts.

Jimbuna
02-27-10, 02:40 PM
I can't overstate how good the Texas Meet two year ago was or the sadness of not factoring in my 25th anniversary last year and the disappointment of being unable to attend the Denmark Meet.

With the above in mind, I'm not going to vote until I know for sure if I'll be able.

If I can.....and I sincerely hope I will be able to then I would vote for New London.

I met so many great people in Texas and know there are a great many more I've yet to meet http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

FIREWALL
02-27-10, 02:44 PM

How about an authentic New England Clam bake? Steamers, quahogs, "lobstah", corn on the cob and all the other fixin's. I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it. :DL

I think we have a Winner here. :woot: ... :yeah:

And the BBQ was the closer. :yep: .. @ August .. :salute:

Sailor Steve
02-27-10, 03:56 PM
Just like going home for me.

I wanna change my vote again!

Gearing...Sharky...Gearing...Sharky...

Oh, I hate this!:damn:

longam
02-27-10, 04:33 PM
East coast is really sounding better now, sea food is a weakness of mine. A longer trip might be a better vacation anyway... Oh heck ...ether would do.

Remembering my trip to Chicago a few months ago, wasn't much of a trip, but the place is nice
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=156808&highlight=chicago

Jimbuna
02-27-10, 05:15 PM
Just like going home for me.

I wanna change my vote again!

Gearing...Sharky...Gearing...Sharky...

Oh, I hate this!:damn:

If I'm able to be there it will simply be for another 'cuddle' :rotfl2:

:O:

nikimcbee
02-27-10, 05:38 PM
If I'm able to be there it will simply be for another 'cuddle' :rotfl2:

:O:

Great more internetz pictures!:har:

Blacklight
02-27-10, 08:59 PM
I live in Connecticut so of course, I'll throw my hat in for New London ! :yeah:

Jeffg
02-27-10, 09:16 PM
I am all for New London and as I will be retiring in June after 35 years with the Jacksonville,Fl Fire Dept .I plan on making the trip this year and have always wanted to see New London.

JeffG

Subnuts
02-27-10, 09:18 PM
A CT/MA Subsim meet in August or September? That would be awesome, as long as I can hitch a ride and get a day off from work in advance. I already took weeks off in June and November, but I get three "personal days" each year where I work.

There are at least six naval museums within three hours driving distance from where I live, and I have an uncle who was in the Navy for 37 years who wouldn't mind a little "sightseeing." Besides Battleship Cove, the Constitution, and the Nautilus, we also have the Cassin Young in Boston, the Salem in Quincy, MA, the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum in New York, the New Jersey in Camden, NJ, and the Ling in Hackensack, NJ. But I'd definitely call Battleship Cove the "Mecca" for NE naval buffs.

cappy70
02-27-10, 10:40 PM
Hi

Well,, this time I'm going to be there, and I live only 3 hours away from Chicago, and CT looks awesome too with everything there and BBQ,,hehe.:salute::salute: and San Diego...... to repeat some famous words: I hate this: Hitting head against wall here...:)

Ohh,, east coast and like somebody said: Seafood......:)

I'm coming this year 110%.

Hawk66
02-28-10, 03:55 AM
I'm currently thinking of attending...have to check the flight price.
East Coast would be cheaper of course ;).

Visiting Sonalysts would be really interesting...also a chance to blame the guys for their bugs :D

Jimbuna
02-28-10, 07:12 AM
Great more internetz pictures!:har:

You can count on that http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2772/thumbsupgv0.gif

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5549/361313gr7.gif

Oh and btw...wheres those 1/700 model pictures ya promised? http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1853/angry8ro5.gif

nikimcbee
02-28-10, 12:05 PM
So if we go to Chicago, we gotta stop by 1480's house to see his new kiddo, then when we go to se the Cobia, we gotta stop by lambeau field so I can throw some eggs at it.:haha:

Who is getting a rental car? and anybody want to room together? and will there be banana pudding and bbq made by Neal's dad?

Plus, once we pick a place, would it be easier to all stay at one hotel? Would they (the hotel) give us a deal on multiple rooms?:hmmm:

nikimcbee
02-28-10, 12:14 PM
....and if we do the U-505, I wonder if we could get a special tour w/o the #$%% tour guide... and look into the conning tower? If I recall, you have to have their tour guide with you at all times. And don't they picture restrictions now too?

Here's my choice order of sights:

1. New Groton/Conn. USS Nautilus:yeah:
2. SD. (closer~cheaper plane ticket~Russian sub)
3. Chicago. I gotta see the the U-505's new set up and the Cobia is cool, but not much beyond that?

Subnuts
02-28-10, 01:09 PM
Just to say hooray for my side, I've created a map showing the advantages offered by New London:

http://i50.tinypic.com/15wgbqc.jpg

That's Growler, Ling, Nautilus, Lionfish, and Albacore all within a six hour drive. The first nuclear sub, the first submarine with a body-of-revolution hull, an aircraft carrier, a battleship, a half dozen classic sailing ships, the world's oldest commissioned warship, a heavy cruiser in beautiful condition, two destroyers, four mini-subs, two PT boats...and people want to see U-505 and call it a day.

Buncha landlubbers, I tells ya. :nope:

flag4
02-28-10, 01:44 PM
hi subsimers

i live in the north of england...but i could make it to London at a push, so's when yu comin' over :D

Chad
02-28-10, 01:52 PM
I can attest on how cool it is to sleep aboard a WW2 submarine.

NikiMcbee, Mookie, Neal, Undersealcpl played SH4 on the Cavalla last summer and then watched Run Silent, Run Deep later that night.

It was something I'll never forget, and got lots of pictures of the sunset over the sub's tower.

nikimcbee
02-28-10, 02:15 PM
I can attest on how cool it is to sleep aboard a WW2 submarine.

NikiMcbee, Mookie, Neal, Undersealcpl played SH4 on the Cavalla last summer and then watched Run Silent, Run Deep later that night.

It was something I'll never forget, and got lots of pictures of the sunset over the sub's tower.

Yeah, we need to sleep on a sub again. This time w/o all the cleaning chemicals.:D We need the surround sound for the next game/movie.:yeah:

nikimcbee
02-28-10, 02:16 PM
Just to say hooray for my side, I've created a map showing the advantages offered by New London:

http://i50.tinypic.com/15wgbqc.jpg

That's Growler, Ling, Nautilus, Lionfish, and Albacore all within a six hour drive. The first nuclear sub, the first submarine with a body-of-revolution hull, an aircraft carrier, a battleship, a half dozen classic sailing ships, the world's oldest commissioned warship, a heavy cruiser in beautiful condition, two destroyers, four mini-subs, two PT boats...and people want to see U-505 and call it a day.

Buncha landlubbers, I tells ya. :nope:

I throw all of my votes behind battleship cove.:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Jimbuna
02-28-10, 02:46 PM
I throw all of my votes behind battleship cove.:yeah::yeah::yeah:

At 4'11" how many votes do you reckon you've got? :O:

Subnuts
02-28-10, 03:00 PM
Just for the sake of impartiality, I did some maps of the Great Lakes area and California as well.

http://i48.tinypic.com/280sbgg.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/qriuz8.jpg

Subnuts
02-28-10, 04:12 PM
Wow
"Battleship Cove"

Well, you don't have full access to all of the ships, but there are no holes cut in the bulkheads for easier access, you pass through steep companionways to go from one deck to the other, and the deeper you go into the Massachusetts, the staler the air gets and the smaller the hatches become. You can even go inside one of the 16-inch turrets and explore the gunhouse.

The place is about as handicapped accessible as a rhinoceros, and all the more awesome because of it.

Sledgehammer427
02-28-10, 06:58 PM
I loved touring the Mass. The mess hall aboard her was cool too. I can officially say I had a Battleship Hamburger. The Lionfish was all plexi'd off, I don't even think you have access to the [interior of the] conning tower. I used to like standing on the bridge though, that was nice enough. The Hiddensee is awesome, getting to look in those big missile tubes. there was even a periscope on the bridge. go figure o_o
I really liked going there, I'd be glad to meet a lot of subsim people on my next trip!

Sailor Steve
02-28-10, 09:16 PM
Well, you don't have full access to all of the ships, but there are no holes cut in the bulkheads for easier access, you pass through steep companionways to go from one deck to the other, and the deeper you go into the Massachusetts, the staler the air gets and the smaller the hatches become. You can even go inside one of the 16-inch turrets and explore the gunhouse.

The place is about as handicapped accessible as a rhinoceros, and all the more awesome because of it.
That didn't bother us when we toured the old Texas at the Houston meet. It sounds like fun.

Drayu
02-28-10, 10:52 PM
New London. See all the great stuff in the area, then top it off with either Boston or one of the two Casinos :)

AND, if you are in CT...may as well get the best pizza in the world :D

That is where my vote goes. And I have a few words for Sonalysts :)

CCIP
02-28-10, 11:27 PM
Oh my gosh. Chicago?

Please say yes. I am quite close and what's more, I already have friends in Chicago. Went there last year and can't quite wait to come back.

Not to mention a Subsim meet would of course be great :DL

capthelm
03-01-10, 08:43 AM
Growler close to me , am in nj location

Nuc
03-01-10, 12:08 PM
Not sure I'd make the trip to IL or CA but I'm here in CT so if that is the choice I'd be happy to help out with planning. See my earlier post for area links

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1176901&postcount=22

Pioneer
03-01-10, 07:31 PM
Did voting close? The link off the main page is no longer present?

And my next question might be, if the place you voted for doesn't get the Subsim event, would you still go?

PappyCain
03-01-10, 10:51 PM
Well I spent 12 weeks in Groton under a Trident class. We were given a private tour of the WWII sub by a former crew member. Tres' nice experience. BTW, the Consititution is in Boston Steve. Yo ho ho.

S'
PC

PS: what a bunch of reprobates in the pics. Looks like a great time! BTW, since SH3 is about U-Boats, why not Chicago! Best Pizza and Sub? CT of course!!

martes86
03-02-10, 03:53 AM
Whatever the place... please no fish meals! I can't tell you how much I'd prefer to just eat apples all day instead of fish, specially lobsters and smaller/bigger relatives, which I hate to death. :rotfl2:

Onkel Neal
03-02-10, 08:43 AM
Ok, we certainly have enough interest to get started. Poll closed, thanks for taking the time to weigh in.

cappy70
03-02-10, 11:01 AM
My breakdown is: CT without a doubt, so many things to see out there.:salute:

I was split between Chicago and CT, and I had a "weak" moment.:haha:

.....though Hawaii would be nice:gulp:
:har::har::har:

Jimbuna
03-02-10, 05:01 PM
Ok, we certainly have enough interest to get started. Poll closed, thanks for taking the time to weigh in.

A lot closer than I thought :hmmm:

Perhaps I should have voted and prevented the tie :DL

Sailor Steve
03-02-10, 06:16 PM
I still wanna change my vote!:wah:

But I still haven't decided to what...:zzz:

CCIP
03-02-10, 06:46 PM
Wow, still a draw.

For the record, I think I could afford to swing CT as well.

Jimbuna
03-02-10, 08:12 PM
I still wanna change my vote!:wah:

But I still haven't decided to what...:zzz:

Where exactly did you vote for originally?

Was it SD? :hmmm:

Sailor Steve
03-03-10, 06:20 PM
Where exactly did you vote for originally?

Was it SD? :hmmm:
Yeep.:yep:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1280348&postcount=14

Onkel Neal
03-03-10, 09:38 PM
Wow, still a draw.

For the record, I think I could afford to swing CT as well.

I opened the door for RamRod who called me to ask to vote. It is close enough that one vote doesn't matter. It looks like New London based on the strength of exhibits and number of previous attendees who chose New London (10) over Chitown (4) and SD (4). Chicago will deinitely be the destination for the next US meet.

And yeah, if you have to buy a plane ticket, it will be $300 well spent, believe me. I think everyone who has attended a meet will tell you it's a unique experience and worth it.

CCIP
03-03-10, 09:44 PM
Well, I don't mind it - I'd always wanted to travel to that general area. It's been my big stress relief in the past year anyway, exploring the big ol' US-of-A :D I know a couple of people in that area too, anyway, and I'm sure someone will help arrange something with ahem, intercepting people coming in from flights (to Boston I assume? Or is there somewhere closer?)

Pretty easy for me to get over to Buffalo and fly relatively cheaply from there anyway.

Regardless, I shouldn't complain about Chicago too much. I have a group of well over a dozen friends there at the moment and I already have dates set to visit them in May, along with U-505 of course. I was there last May as well, but missed the U-505, so I'm yet to experience that. And no, not because noone wanted to go visit it - but because we literally crashed our car on the way there, with me in the front seat :dead: Everyone was okay, but let's just say submarines were no longer on the priority list that day...

August
03-03-10, 10:56 PM
TF Green Airport in Rhode Island is much closer to New London.

Fall River is about equidistant between Boston and RI airports but getting from RI would be a lot less traffic depending on time of day.

Then there is The Constitution docked right in Charlestown just across the river from Bostons Logan Airport.

Subnuts
03-03-10, 11:13 PM
I've been talking to my mother about this a little bit, and she said she wouldn't mind taking a three-day weekend this September, and going down the CT/RI/ME coastline with two of her sisters. I could do my Subsim thing, they could go shopping, antiquing, sightseeing, and so on. Just have to find a decent hotel to stay at in either New London or Fall River, and my transportation problem is squared away.

As for airports, Bradley International is just a few minutes away from the New England Air Museum, which has only a few naval exhibits, but is a fascinating place anyway. I could even recommend a few restaurants in the area...but I'm jumping ahead of myself here.

CCIP
03-03-10, 11:35 PM
Curious if anyone will be driving up from this are as well. As far as flying in, I somehow suspect that there wouldn't be anything flying directly there from Buffalo...

Onkel Neal
03-04-10, 12:11 AM
I've been talking to my mother about this a little bit, and she said she wouldn't mind taking a three-day weekend this September, and going down the CT/RI/ME coastline with two of her sisters. I could do my Subsim thing, they could go shopping, antiquing, sightseeing, and so on. Just have to find a decent hotel to stay at in either New London or Fall River, and my transportation problem is squared away.

As for airports, Bradley International is just a few minutes away from the New England Air Museum, which has only a few naval exhibits, but is a fascinating place anyway. I could even recommend a few restaurants in the area...but I'm jumping ahead of myself here.

Wait. How older are the sisters? Are they married? Let's talk.

Jimbuna
03-04-10, 07:30 AM
Wait. How older are the sisters? Are they married? Let's talk.

LMAO :rotfl2:

Neal...think of your heart and general state of health :DL

http://bestsmileys.com/handicap/1.gif

August
03-04-10, 11:50 AM
I wonder if you could just bunk up on the USS Massachusetts for the entire stay. Fall River is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the prospective sites and is only about 20 min from my place.

Jimbuna
03-05-10, 06:22 AM
I wonder if you could just bunk up on the USS Massachusetts for the entire stay. Fall River is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the prospective sites and is only about 20 min from my place.

Better still, spend some of your wealth on a barracks size extension and everyone can kip at yours :O:

I'm sure your missus wouldn't mind catering for 100 or so retrobates :sunny:

Hope she isn't looking over your shoulder when you read this :03:

Carotio
03-05-10, 08:25 AM
I never got to the voting, and now it's closed it seems. Anyway, of the two most popular cities, New London would have been my choice too.

I guess the trip would be a flight to New York, and from there to NL is that by bus or train or what would be most convenient - and cheapest?
Since I have never been to America before, being so close to New York, I guess other attendants other than me may think a day in New York would be awsome too. Here, I mostly think of Statue of Liberty or Ground Zero. But I guess there are some interesting stuff to see generally in the harbour area of NY too...?

Subnuts
03-05-10, 09:44 AM
But I guess there are some interesting stuff to see generally in the harbour area of NY too...?

Yeah, like this thing:
http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/ ;)

August
03-05-10, 10:31 AM
Better still, spend some of your wealth on a barracks size extension and everyone can kip at yours :O:

I'm sure your missus wouldn't mind catering for 100 or so retrobates :sunny:

Hope she isn't looking over your shoulder when you read this :03:

:DL

Seriously I dunno about 100 :o people, but we been thinking about offering to bunk folks if the group is the size of those of past meets. I figure that most of us will be too drunk and too full of food to drive after the barbecue anyways so I plan to have plenty of cots and air mattresses on hand just in case.

The only problem is that we only have one bathroom and a rather old leach field septic system so I'd probably have to rent a port-a-potty for more than an overnight stay, which is cool (as I won't be crapping in it) but I figured you old farts would want a more updated bathroom arraignment (y'know, in order to keep your expensive coiffures in order... :D)

Jimbuna
03-05-10, 12:57 PM
:DL

Seriously I dunno about 100 :o people, but we been thinking about offering to bunk folks if the group is the size of those of past meets. I figure that most of us will be too drunk and too full of food to drive after the barbecue anyways so I plan to have plenty of cots and air mattresses on hand just in case.

The only problem is that we only have one bathroom and a rather old leach field septic system so I'd probably have to rent a port-a-potty for more than an overnight stay, which is cool (as I won't be crapping in it) but I figured you old farts would want a more updated bathroom arraignment (y'know, in order to keep your expensive coiffures in order... :D)

No problem.....I'll sleep in the bath and let the others fight with Neal over the port-a-potty :DL

I promise not to crap in the bath :DL

In days of old
When knights were bold
And toilets weren't invented
Geordies simply dug a hole inside a wall
And sat there quite contented

August
03-05-10, 08:50 PM
I promise not to crap in the bath :DL

You better not, my wife would make you walk the plank!

And did I really call it a barbecue? I meant Clam Bake!

What kind of beer and other libations do you people favor?

Ships-R-Us
03-05-10, 09:47 PM
TF Green Airport in Rhode Island is much closer to New London.

Fall River is about equidistant between Boston and RI airports but getting from RI would be a lot less traffic depending on time of day.

Then there is The Constitution docked right in Charlestown just across the river from Bostons Logan Airport.

According to a national poll 2 weeks ago, RI had the nations worst drivers. You may stand the best chance of living longer if you choose Boston. I'm partial as I used to live closeby.

August
03-05-10, 11:01 PM
According to a national poll 2 weeks ago, RI had the nations worst drivers. You may stand the best chance of living longer if you choose Boston. I'm partial as I used to live closeby.

That's only because here in Mass we've already culled out the weaklings. :D

Jimbuna
03-06-10, 09:57 AM
You better not, my wife would make you walk the plank!

And did I really call it a barbecue? I meant Clam Bake!

Normally I'd answer "Newcastle Brown Ale" but I found that on draught (can you believe that!!) in Houston and introduced KL and Privateer to it.

BIG MISTAKE!!.....IT OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T TRAVEL WELL< ESPECIALLY OUT OF A BOTTLE :nope:

So my answer would be "If it's cold and wet then it's certainly worth a try" :DL

August
03-06-10, 10:39 AM
Normally I'd answer "Newcastle Brown Ale" but I found that on draught (can you believe that!!) in Houston and introduced KL and Privateer to it.

BIG MISTAKE!!.....IT OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T TRAVEL WELL< ESPECIALLY OUT OF A BOTTLE :nope:

So my answer would be "If it's cold and wet then it's certainly worth a try" :DL

Beer doesn't travel well and i'm told the best batches aren't exported but i'm sure we can find a local micro-brew that would be suitable for ya Mate!

Jimbuna
03-06-10, 12:51 PM
Beer doesn't travel well and i'm told the best batches aren't exported but i'm sure we can find a local micro-brew that would be suitable for ya Mate!

Your good health Sir http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img265/6747/partypiratesro0.gif

Subnuts
03-06-10, 04:50 PM
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard 2011!

Yeah, I called it. HMS Victory, Warrior, the monitor M33, the Royal Naval Museum, the wreck of the Mary Rose, and just across the harbor from the Museum of Naval Firepower and the Royal Navy Submarine Museum.

And in 2012, Neal can bribe the curator at the San Diego Maritime Park to let us climb up to Surprise's main topgallant mast and pretend to be Russell Crowe...even if that involves throwing our cell phones at visitors and making them stand at attention for us.

Sound like a plan? :rock:

Bas Langenhof
03-06-10, 06:41 PM
I was to late for the voting:oops:, but New London sounds good to me.
I have never been to America and this a very good reason to go :DL.

nikimcbee
03-09-10, 01:23 PM
Any new decisions? When and where? Just looking to start eyeing tickets.

....and Texas is Southwest's destination of the month.:yeah: Need any cavalla help.

FIREWALL
03-09-10, 01:33 PM
@ August The promise of a Barbecue\Clambake swung my vote two pages back. :haha:

Chad
03-09-10, 01:54 PM
I was to late for the voting:oops:, but New London sounds good to me.
I have never been to America and this a very good reason to go :DL.

Bas, it would be great if you, Von Hinten, and Kepitan Cranky all came this year too :D

Jimbuna
03-09-10, 02:09 PM
Bas, it would be great if you, Von Hinten, and Kepitan Cranky all came this year too :D

That 'cheesy' grin is sure to attract KC :O:

Madox58
03-10-10, 06:03 PM
Sorry I'm late to the party.
No internet for nearly a year!
However,
Both the ones not in California I could manage.
Was planning a trip to Chicago anyway.

I plan to attend, but it will come down to the wire as to the money angle.
Business has been tough for a year but it's getting better!

KeptinCranky
03-10-10, 06:56 PM
Hah! I saw that Jim, and I'll have you know that it's my feet that are cheesy :D

I'm definitely very interested, New London and surroundings seem to have some interesting stuff on offer.

Count me in ! :up:

Chad
03-10-10, 09:21 PM
Well we should find out where it is in a few weeks, and you were right Jimbuna :haha:

Kapitan_Phillips
03-11-10, 12:18 PM
*mutters about expensive airfares and the majority of American members up in here*

Jimbuna
03-11-10, 12:21 PM
Hah! I saw that Jim, and I'll have you know that it's my feet that are cheesy :D

I'm definitely very interested, New London and surroundings seem to have some interesting stuff on offer.

Count me in ! :up:

Well we should find out where it is in a few weeks, and you were right Jimbuna :haha:

LOL :DL

Jimbuna
03-11-10, 12:22 PM
*mutters about expensive airfares and the majority of American members up in here*

Aw come on...a few extra shifts in the noodle mine and you should manage it okay.

You can even take your rifle seeing it's in America :DL

Bas Langenhof
03-11-10, 12:28 PM
Hey Chad, I think so to :up:, I did like it a lot last year so I will be there again this year and I think Von Hinten also. I don't know About Kepitan Cranky yet.

martes86
03-11-10, 03:08 PM
So what, New London, definitive choice? Cool! Looks like I might just get to even visit NYC. :rock:

I just hope work or a lack of money doesn't get in my path, like it almost happened last year.

And... what's the date for it then? Mid-september I guess?

EDIT: If things are good enough, I might even bring an airsoft pal with me. :)

Subnuts
03-11-10, 05:05 PM
So what, New London, definitive choice? Cool! Looks like I might just get to even visit NYC. :rock:

I've talked to Neal recently, and he's pretty much settled on New London. Anyone want to set up a "New England Conspiracy" to help put together an itinerary? Right now Bradley International Airport is looking like an ideal starting point - it's only about an hour from Groton and it's a pretty nice drive through rural Connecticut. I've already mentioned the Air Museum, but I've been there about 10 times now and won't cry if I can't make it. As for naval sites, it seems like the Submarine Force Museum and Battleship Cove are on the "must do" list, along with the USS Constitution, but with so many great locations so close to each other, there simply isn't enough time to go everywhere!

I still need to get in touch with my uncle Rudolph Jones, who managed to get himself, one of my aunts, my dad, and myself inside the base for a 4th of July fish fry at the CPO's lounge back in 2007. He was the second in command of the base hospital when he retired from the navy, but I don't want to make him feel "used." :hmmm:

Von Hinten
03-11-10, 06:12 PM

Any coffee flavored beer will do, thanks! :up:

Yeah, Bas and I pretty much decided we'll be there. It's one of those once in a lifetime events that return ... every year ... :hmmm: Oh well. Besides, someone needs to write up these insane patrol reports and make silly remarks all day! :arrgh!:

martes86
03-11-10, 06:40 PM
He was the second in command of the base hospital when he retired from the navy, but I don't want to make him feel "used." :hmmm:

Maybe you should put it like "Hey, you're showing your Navy pride off to a bunch of worldwide foreign geeks". My ego would grow exponentially in such situation. :har:

Madox58
03-11-10, 08:03 PM
What kind of Beer?
The best kind!
FREE!!
:haha:

The Wife is all for it money permiting.
:yep:

Nancy made Houston with me and had a great time.
:yeah:

She's just not to sure about Neal yet.
:hmmm:

:har:

August
03-12-10, 11:50 AM

Coffee flavored beer? :o

I'd like to say such things aren't allowed in my country but judging from my last trip to the package store i'd sad to say that's probably doable! :)

August
03-12-10, 11:53 AM
Anyone want to set up a "New England Conspiracy" to help put together an itinerary?

I'm in.

Chad
03-12-10, 01:09 PM

Yuck! Memories of that nasty Irish Coffee you guys had to finish for me :O:

AVGWarhawk
03-12-10, 01:18 PM
CT works for me! :yeah:

Bas Langenhof
03-12-10, 01:28 PM
Yeah, Bas and I pretty much decided we'll be there. It's one of those once in a lifetime events that return ... every year ... :hmmm: Oh well. Besides, someone needs to write up these insane patrol reports and make silly remarks all day! :arrgh!:

Can't wait to read them. :DL

Von Hinten
03-13-10, 07:23 PM
Yuck! Memories of that nasty Irish Coffee you guys had to finish for me :O:

You're welcome m8. :03: