PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Flight loses its DRM!

seaniam81
02-22-10, 11:48 AM
Hello fellow skipper. I bring good news. Rise of Flight is getting rid of it's DRM well sorta. Why is this in a SH5 thread? Because Rise of Flight is a game that must be played while connected to the company's servers even on SINGLE PLAYER! Sound familiar?

Well the guys at neoqb listend to what the community, market trends and what the polls said... so at the end of February, they will remove the need to log in to play single player. The full info is in the second post found here http://riseofflight.com/Blogs/default.aspx But I will quote it...

We've also been checking out network stats and market trends. As a result, we came to the conclusion that you all needed the ability to fly without a permanent internet connection (in some game modes). A network connection will still be necessary for new user account and profile creation. And, of course, multiplayer and a few other game modes still rely on internet access. But now, if your provider is down, you have insufficient funds, or you just plain hate to log into games all the time, you will be able to fly internet-free in single player mode or in the new 'Quick Mission' mode. We hope that this modification will ease your minds about personal intrusion and internet provider costs. After all, we developed Rise Of Flight to help you escape those every-day, mundane worries and just let you fly carefree!

I hope UBI pays attention here.

I will now be picking up a copy of Rise of Flight once they release the patch. :yeah:

SteamWake
02-22-10, 11:49 AM
"Sort of" ?

FIREWALL
02-22-10, 11:53 AM
And my finger still hoovers above the RoF BUY button. :damn:

seaniam81
02-22-10, 11:59 AM
"Sort of" ?
Ya sort of... You still need to make an online account. Not a big deal really since its kinda like online activiation. But the game will only allow you to fly offline in the last account used online.

To make 'login offline' mode available, all you'll need to do is download the upcoming update. After that, you will be able to fly offline, but only with the last activated online pilot profile. The system will gather statistics of your progress and keep it till your next connection to the server. At that time, all gathered data will be transferred to affect your rating and overall statistics. And of course, connection will be needed for additional content purchase and game updating.

I'll still be picking it up. I have a demo copy and really enjoyed it. So if UBI does this with SH5 I'll pick up a copy of that too.

FIREWALL
02-22-10, 12:09 PM
That imo isn't loseing drm. :nope:

jazman
02-22-10, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I'm sure the SH5 modders will just love logging in all the time:

1. Tweak something
2. Start game--LOGIN required
3. Look at your mod tweak. Hmm, needs a little bit more tweaking here.
4. Exit game
5. Repeat ad Insanium.

With the "Xtreme Gamerz Account" (only $20/month) maybe the UBI servers won't lock you out if you log in 15 times an hour.

Nisgeis
02-22-10, 12:20 PM
You don't need to restart the game for every mod. It depends what you are changing. Some parts just need a mission restart. As SH5 will be 'a pleasant surprise' for modders, it may not have to be restarted at all. Though given Ubi's typographical problems of late, it may have meant to say SH5 will be 'a surprise peasant' for the modders.

"The veil shall be removed in the third month."

Hmmm, yes, I like that, I wonder if it will catch on, in some form.

Seafireliv
02-22-10, 12:25 PM
What scare me as well is the `insufficient funds` bit. Funds? funds for what?

Hitman
02-22-10, 12:58 PM
What scare me as well is the `insufficient funds` bit. Funds? funds for what?

There are many cable connections that cost a fixed sum monthly, and then an additional sum each X MB that you exceed your monthly traffic limit. Many laptops on wireless connections work like that, at least here in Spain.

FIREWALL
02-22-10, 01:03 PM
Honestly ask yourself this question.

I f I go to the next SubSim meeting, Can I play RoF or SH5 while , flying to SS meet ?

609_Avatar
02-22-10, 01:40 PM
Hmmm, where did I see something like this before... oh yeah, here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=161357

Don't mind me, I'm not giving you a hard time, I just want to boost my post count to get rid of this silly looking Medic! :haha:

Seafireliv
02-22-10, 01:58 PM
There are many cable connections that cost a fixed sum monthly, and then an additional sum each X MB that you exceed your monthly traffic limit. Many laptops on wireless connections work like that, at least here in Spain.

I see. I just pay one fee per month, but it`s even more reason why 24\7 DRM is bad. I dunno what makes UBI think it was ok at all.

FIREWALL
02-22-10, 01:59 PM
Hmmm, where did I see something like this before... oh yeah, here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=161357

Don't mind me, I'm not giving you a hard time, I just want to boost my post count to get rid of this silly looking Medic! :haha:

I don't blame ya matey. :yep: :haha:

609_Avatar
02-22-10, 02:44 PM
I don't blame ya matey. :yep: :haha:

Go ahead, rub it in! (One step closer!!)

Brag
02-22-10, 03:04 PM
Go ahead, rub it in! (One step closer!!)

Nice looking bonnet :haha::har::haha::har:

IanC
02-22-10, 03:15 PM
Good, I might actually buy ROF now.

java`s revenge
02-22-10, 03:21 PM
I have already ROF. It`s a great sim. :woot:

Seafireliv
02-22-10, 03:23 PM
I still don`t think it`s enough. I don`t like this `sign in` thing for a start. Nope. Don`t like being treated like I have to ask Daddy for permission to play my game.

HundertzehnGustav
02-22-10, 03:56 PM
oh. sexy.
is he part of the sHV crew? would be...

would be a dream come true, honey!:shucks:

IanC
02-22-10, 04:00 PM
oh. sexy.
is he part of the sHV crew? would be...

would be a dream come true, honey!:shucks:

:o :haha: I think HundertzehnGustav has been spending too much time near the diesel engines.

609_Avatar
02-22-10, 04:03 PM
:har::har: You guys are too much! Time to surface and breathe some fresh air for a change!! Besides, that medic guy is history... for awhile anyway... :)

Onkel Neal
02-22-10, 04:24 PM
Hello fellow skipper. I bring good news. Rise of Flight is getting rid of it's DRM well sorta. Why is this in a SH5 thread? Because Rise of Flight is a game that must be played while connected to
I hope UBI pays attention here.

I will now be picking up a copy of Rise of Flight once they release the patch. :yeah:

Olds news.

609_Avatar
02-22-10, 04:52 PM
And I think my new "Navy Dude" is much sexier than that silly medic! :haha:

SteamWake
02-22-10, 05:08 PM
Olds news.

No relation to Oldsmobile... :haha:

Heh sorry couldent resist I think the score is now Niel 20 Me ... well this was a first.. :har:

Highbury
02-22-10, 10:43 PM
Who's Niel? :O::up:

Onkel Neal
02-22-10, 10:48 PM
He's laughing now but wait until I reset his post count back to 1 :arrgh!:

weeksatsea
02-23-10, 12:11 AM
RoF is worth watching because it is a SIM . A real sim . With full realism settings , if you don't pay attention you will blow up your motor or just spin and crash and die. Also with each new plane you have to learn the way the motor works and how it handles.

If SH had this commitment to realism it would be a beautiful game. For example the horrible interface around the periscope. In Rof the dials are lovingly rendered. I often crash because I'm just looking at them.

If you like dials, buy RoF.

Also the upcoming patch has been described as a "complete new version of the game"

So the money side of Rof is a worry ; OSP and DLC , but the money seems to be going towards further development.

I hope when the chain comes off that it's not pirated to hell because the developers are thinking the right way.

FIREWALL
02-23-10, 12:40 AM
And I think my new "Navy Dude" is much sexier than that silly medic! :haha:

Oh God 609 !!! :o You went from bad to worse. :har::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

A couple of more posts and you ain't seen nuttin yet. :har::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

FIREWALL
02-23-10, 12:50 AM
weaksatsea and me are the only ones online alive posting here.

I guess the rest are weak... :har::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Gatt
02-23-10, 03:20 AM
I still don`t think it`s enough. I don`t like this `sign in` thing for a start. Nope. Don`t like being treated like I have to ask Daddy for permission to play my game.

When you'll start the sim, you'll have the choice to login online or play offline. Enough?

derblaueClaus
02-23-10, 05:18 AM
So the money side of Rof is a worry ; OSP and DLC , but the money seems to be going towards further development.

Well DLC is not a problem for me. Just look over to other simulations like FSX where a good plain or addon costs as much as the game itself sometimes even more. Compared with that the DLC in Rise of Flight with around 5 $ is quite cheap. ;)

seaniam81
02-23-10, 07:53 AM
When you'll start the sim, you'll have the choice to login online or play offline. Enough?

Ya this. Basically you buy the game. Log on create an account and then next time you go to play you can play offline in single player. I think this is a big step from having to be logged on while playing single player.

Anyways sorry must have missed the other post. Just somebody in the Aviation Sim industry pointed this out to me the other day and I thought i would share some good news that a company actually said "hey maybe this isn't the way to go with DRM" Maybe UBI will pay attention to these guys?

KL-alfman
02-23-10, 08:08 AM
Anyways sorry must have missed the other post. Just somebody in the Aviation Sim industry pointed this out to me the other day and I thought i would share some good news that a company actually said "hey maybe this isn't the way to go with DRM" Maybe UBI will pay attention to these guys?

I guess there's no need for excuses.
the last weeks in SH5-forum were quite exciting :D , and a lot of threads were opened. one really can lose the general over-view, what and where a topic is already posted.

referring to your last sentence:
maybe UBI will take ROF's development into account, but not very likely. :cry: