PDA

View Full Version : CALLING ALL SUBSIMMERS CHECK OUT Danger From The Deep

rascal101
02-19-10, 09:50 AM
AMASING JUST WHEN I'D ABANDONED ALL HOPE SEEMS THERE IS A PROJECT UNDERWAY TO BUILD A REAL SUB SIM -

OK THE GRAPHICS MAY NOT BE UP TO WHAT WERE SEEING ON THE SH 5 PROMOS BUT THEN ITS STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT

wE SHOULD SPREAD THE WORK FOR FOLKS WHO CAN HELP OUT IN ANY WAY TO GET THIS PROJECT UNDER WAY

REGARDS

rASCAL

ReFaN
02-19-10, 09:56 AM
AMASING JUST WHEN I'D ABANDONED ALL HOPE SEEMS THERE IS A PROJECT UNDERWAY TO BUILD A REAL SUB SIM -

OK THE GRAPHICS MAY NOT BE UP TO WHAT WERE SEEING ON THE SH 5 PROMOS BUT THEN ITS STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT

wE SHOULD SPREAD THE WORK FOR FOLKS WHO CAN HELP OUT IN ANY WAY TO GET THIS PROJECT UNDER WAY

REGARDS

rASCAL

your caps lock seems to be broken.

onelifecrisis
02-19-10, 10:01 AM
Heh, and it's already in alpha!

http://dangerdeep.sourceforge.net/about/

This game is planned as tactical simulation and will be as realistic as our time and knowledge of physics allows.

To all those claiming that realism is more important to them than eye candy:
Seeya! :salute:

Lt commander lare
02-19-10, 10:19 AM
This game is for windows xp this is no good its not even being made for vista or windows 7 forget it stick with sh5 or sh4 or sh3

Lt Commander Lare

TDK1044
02-19-10, 10:32 AM
Danger From The Deep has been in development for several years now. It's a great idea, but it shows just how long it really takes to write code for and to fully develop a good sub sim.

If it gets completed at all, it would be years down the line. :)

martes86
02-19-10, 10:56 AM
Danger From The Deep has been in development for several years now. It's a great idea, but it shows just how long it really takes to write code for and to fully develop a good sub sim.

Actually, it shows how much it can take to complete an independent spare-time project (i.e., developed by unassociated people whenever work or school allows them to, which is usually not very often). An independent, fully commited, development team, would probably archive it faster with a solid development basis. I've been in a team of the previous (spare-time one), and development has been going on for 3-4 years now, though the graphics engine is quite advanced, and after all, game logic is the simplest of all things. And then there's also game content (graphics, models, and sounds), which can actually take longer than game logic programming itself.

PS.: Could we have these threads unified, it's complicated to keep track of them separately.

Cheers. :rock:

Gunnodayak
02-19-10, 10:58 AM
PS.: Could we have these threads unified, it's complicated to keep track of them separately.

Cheers. :rock:
I totally agree with that.

Wilcke
02-19-10, 11:05 AM
This game is for windows xp this is no good its not even being made for vista or windows 7 forget it stick with sh5 or sh4 or sh3

Lt Commander Lare

Can be a minor issue, as Vista and Win7 both have the ability to run an executable in WinXP compatability mode. These type of projects need to be nurtured by the community, much as Free Falcon rewrote and completed Falcon 4.0 and Falcon AF to be an awesome sim for the stovepipe crowd. It takes a lot of time but it is well worth it.

Gunnodayak
02-19-10, 11:08 AM
Can be a minor issue, as Vista and Win7 both have the ability to run an executable in WinXP compatability mode. These type of projects need to be nurtured by the community, much as Free Falcon rewrote and completed Falcon 4.0 and Falcon AF to be an awesome sim for the stovepipe crowd. It takes a lot of time but it is well worth it.
I think that the time in which we gave so much attention and shouting all our frustration regarding SH5 would have been better used just supporting Danger From The Deep. It's a very clean project, not a 120% corporatist one.

Brag
02-19-10, 11:46 AM
I am sure the Danger From The Deep, and the Akella guys are rubbing their hands together with joy at seeing Ubi's stupid mov.

In helping develop a new game would be a great opportunity for modders to learn new stuff. With a large community backing such a project would also be great for the indies. :)

artao
02-19-10, 10:24 PM
Danger From the Deep is one game where we can't just look at what's going on with it and complain about it ... we can actually chip in and fix it ourselves, the way 'we' want it. :up::|\\:hmmm:

The game IS still early, and development may be slow, but that can be rectified by inputting more assistance. For instance, the 'it wont run under win' issue ... they don't HAVE a windows developer, from what they've told me. If someone were to jump into that gap, who could fix this win issue (which seems to be related to Open GL and the GLSL Shaders version, worse for older cards like mine) that would probably go a long way to speeding up development. Programming, graphics, models, campaign, etc ... ... the modder community here has shown what we're capable of, why not apply that to DftD??
As I personally can't get the game to run either (older card) and don't have the skills to MAKE it run myself, I can't as yet contribute meaningfully except thru encouraging others to check it out and help if they can. However, once I CAN get it running, I'm there in whatever arena I can ... 3D models, textures ... 2D graphics ... whatever ...
... sorry if I ramble, but this game excites me .... actual control of the DIVE PLANES!! AND BALLAST VALVES!! lots of options we'd all like to see are in there as far as the realism goes .... i'll shut up now, sorry :O:

Silent Ace
02-20-10, 02:09 AM
:yeah:

martes86
02-20-10, 11:07 AM
Danger From the Deep is one game where we can't just look at what's going on with it and complain about it ... we can actually chip in and fix it ourselves, the way 'we' want it. :up::|\\:hmmm:

The game IS still early, and development may be slow, but that can be rectified by inputting more assistance. For instance, the 'it wont run under win' issue ... they don't HAVE a windows developer, from what they've told me. If someone were to jump into that gap, who could fix this win issue (which seems to be related to Open GL and the GLSL Shaders version, worse for older cards like mine) that would probably go a long way to speeding up development. Programming, graphics, models, campaign, etc ... ... the modder community here has shown what we're capable of, why not apply that to DftD??
As I personally can't get the game to run either (older card) and don't have the skills to MAKE it run myself, I can't as yet contribute meaningfully except thru encouraging others to check it out and help if they can. However, once I CAN get it running, I'm there in whatever arena I can ... 3D models, textures ... 2D graphics ... whatever ...
... sorry if I ramble, but this game excites me .... actual control of the DIVE PLANES!! AND BALLAST VALVES!! lots of options we'd all like to see are in there as far as the realism goes .... i'll shut up now, sorry :O:

Well, a programmer is not a modder. Modders don't usually do programming works (specially because they can't in absence of the original source code), I've always understood modding as changing models, sounds, graphics, creating missions, campaigns... at least in the case of SH. And it's not like programmers grow on trees, or else we'd have our own sim already.

Cheers :rock:

V.C. Sniper
02-20-10, 04:45 PM
programmers are the most important

they don't have a windows programmer???

Dowly
02-20-10, 04:49 PM
Well, a programmer is not a modder. Modders don't usually do programming works (specially because they can't in absence of the original source code), I've always understood modding as changing models, sounds, graphics, creating missions, campaigns... at least in the case of SH. And it's not like programmers grow on trees, or else we'd have our own sim already.

Cheers :rock:

Modding is anything that changes the original game, hence the nickname 'modder' as in 'modifier' of something. :hmmm::yep:

Myxale
03-22-10, 09:00 AM
Some of the screens in the Gallery give me a strong Vintage feel. Like Aces of the Deep.

Simply cool!:up:

KL-alfman
03-22-10, 02:13 PM
whole-heartedly I would like to support this sim.
if only I had some spare time and the knowledge of programming.
but I will contact the team, maybe they know what one could be useful to.