PDA

View Full Version : SCREEEEEEEEN SHOTS IN Windows 7??

IRISH4Life
02-17-10, 12:36 AM
It seems that the Window 7 developers have decided to remove the simple Press of PRINT SCREEN to copy a screen shot (screen capture)to the clip board.

Does ANYONE know how to copy a IN game screen shot ( I can copy desktop screen shots all day long but they are not of the game) BUT NOOOOOOO In game shots.

I want to One use it to save the beautiful memories of sailing in the southseas and Two try to use the MOBO calculator.

I am at a loss, clipping tool doesnt work, people have recommended 3rd party screen shot programs (none seem to capture the in game screen shot)

Please suggest something?

Thanks MICROSOFT, you ruined my life ( NOT really, but I would like to capture the in game photos)

IRISH4life:arrgh!:

Ships-R-Us
02-17-10, 12:42 AM
I have no experience with Windows 7. I do not know what capture programs you have tried, but I have been using "Quick Screen Capture" for years on everything with great results.

Armistead
02-17-10, 12:56 AM
Disable User Accounts...do this...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off?330ab060

Jan Kyster
02-17-10, 05:30 AM
Erh... using ctrl-F11 to capture in-game shots here with no problems. And PrintScrn works fine too?

Disabling UAC not recommended....

razark
02-17-10, 09:04 AM
Ctrl-F11

It will store the screen shots in your SH4 directory.

IRISH4Life
02-17-10, 09:13 AM
I'll Try it! I will tell MOBO too we were both trying to find a work around.

Thanks for your time,

IRISH4life

Armistead
02-17-10, 09:53 AM
Erh... using ctrl-F11 to capture in-game shots here with no problems. And PrintScrn works fine too?

Disabling UAC not recommended....

Cnt F11 lets you take SS, it doesn't let you see them, UAC basically a dumb funtion that blocks the admin from having total admin rights. However, the way it's setup it is a security function...still 90% of players cut the dang thing off because it interferes with every app you run. I have it off since it came out, no problems. You have more risk of others on you PC screwing you up because they can use your PC as a admin...just don't let them on it. Obvious you want to make sure you have any file sharing option turned off which is a standard setting. Just keep turds off your PC. If you're not gaming for periods of time and feel safer, just cut it on, takes a few seconds either way. Yep, it leaves you more vunerable to malware and viruses, but good security software takes care of that. You're more likely to get malware or viruses through other functions anyway. Considering the pain, I leave it off, because it interferes with about 20 apps I run.

I will admit if I had my banking on my PC or important info, I would leave it on more than off. Course I always hit the off button on my modem when I leave.

There are lots of articles on the net to try and tweak it and work arounds, but I ain't found one that really worked.

Jan Kyster
02-17-10, 01:27 PM
Cnt F11 lets you take SS, it doesn't let you see them...Not understood... :hmmm: run SHIV/jsgme with admin rights, keep it away from Program Files-folders and all should be fine...

Pisces
02-17-10, 05:32 PM
It seems that the Window 7 developers have decided to remove the simple Press of PRINT SCREEN to copy a screen shot (screen capture)to the clip board.

Does ANYONE know how to copy a IN game screen shot ( I can copy desktop screen shots all day long but they are not of the game) BUT NOOOOOOO In game shots.

I want to One use it to save the beautiful memories of sailing in the southseas and Two try to use the MOBO calculator.

I am at a loss, clipping tool doesnt work, people have recommended 3rd party screen shot programs (none seem to capture the in game screen shot)

Thanks MICROSOFT, you ruined my life ( NOT really, but I would like to capture the in game photos)

IRISH4life:arrgh!:Removed? Far from it actually. :know:

http://www.windows7home.net/use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screen-shots-in-windows-7/

Pisces
02-17-10, 05:43 PM
Disable User Accounts...do this...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off?330ab060At first I wondered what use would that do. But then ...

Since SH3 and SH4 put the screendumps into the Silent Hunter base-folder, which by default is somewhere in the Program Files folderstructure, and Vista/W7 doesn't like files being created/modified there, you have a point. The screendumps will probably not be saved on disk. However it is now far more susceptible to a virus/worm investation or spreading in your system. I'm not sure the trade-off favours the screendump in my book. It is alot more sensible to not follow the default install location and install it outside of the Program Files folder. That makes modding life so much simpler.

ERPP8
02-17-10, 05:46 PM
Ctrl + F11

IRISH4Life
02-17-10, 10:20 PM
Ill try CTL +F11. I can assure you that the snipping tool does not work unless I am doing something wrong. It will only capture my desktop itself NOT ingame photos.

Same topic different question. where does the picture go????? and How do I retrieve it????

IRISH4life

razark
02-17-10, 10:33 PM
Same topic different question. where does the picture go????? and How do I retrieve it????

It's automatically uploaded to your facebook account, with a filename of "That drunken week in Tiajuana involving a goat, a suitcase full of melons, and the hitch hiker we picked up that no one except Jimmy knows about, and I had to pay him lots of money not to talk.jpg".

Or check in your SH4 directory, it's one of those two places.

IRISH4Life
02-17-10, 10:46 PM
I know I am still missing a tooth from that.

Thanks,

IRISH4life

Webster
02-17-10, 11:25 PM

IRISH4life:arrgh!:

i have always used "printkey 2000" its a small free utility that lets you easily cut out just the part of the screen you want to capture or print or save the whole image.

you can find it here: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,22960-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

the only negative i found with it is sometimes it cant find the default printer if you try changing the printer options after you capture the image (not sure why) but closing the program and reopening it solves it.

its not listed for vista or windows 7 because its an older program but it works perfectly fine for both and i have it on my windows 7 right now :up:

Drayu
02-18-10, 08:23 AM
You can just use FRAPS. Very simple.

www.fraps.com

Armistead
02-18-10, 08:41 AM
At first I wondered what use would that do. But then ...

Since SH3 and SH4 put the screendumps into the Silent Hunter base-folder, which by default is somewhere in the Program Files folderstructure, and Vista/W7 doesn't like files being created/modified there, you have a point. The screendumps will probably not be saved on disk. However it is now far more susceptible to a virus/worm investation or spreading in your system. I'm not sure the trade-off favours the screendump in my book. It is alot more sensible to not follow the default install location and install it outside of the Program Files folder. That makes modding life so much simpler.

Well, each has to decide. I hate what they did with UAC, so I cut it off, but don't blame me if you do it and get a virus...I've never had a problem with it, not one virus or hacker, ect...that's what good virus protection and a firewall is for. Most I know in gaming just cut it off, moreso if you run lots of apps...There are suppose to be better work arounds, but none worked for me.. I run lots of differnt apps and could never get to anything until I cut it off...However,,,I'm back to my other rig with good old XP when I can get my son off it.

I seldom play on the win 7 machine and have everything loaded, but I probably will try a different location outside the program folder when I go back.

Still, most just cut it off for gaming and I ain't heard of anyone having a problem if they have good virus software.

Each to his own, but that'll fix the SS issue, but I know little of win 7, so trust those that use it a lot and not me....

banjo
02-18-10, 12:16 PM
Using Win 7 I was able to find my SH4 screen shots by doing a search for .bmp. However, even doing that I've not been able to locate subsequent shots I have taken. Believe me, they are not in any SH4 directory anywhere.

Elder-Pirate
02-21-10, 05:59 PM
I can't figure out just why gamers that play an offline game still insist on playing it online.

Is your email REALLY that important that you can not wait till you are through playing for that period??

Playing online really taxes your computer ( why do that? ) and if you do shut off your antivirus in the background while on the net....well it could be virus time, maybe, but why take that chance.

I have a very good High Speed 24/7 Internet connection but when I play SHIV ( or any offline game ) I click on a off/on Internet connection icon that is on the task bar ( kills the "Ethernet Network Adapter" ).

Then I kill about 75% processors running in the background ( especially Antivirus ) using "ENDitALL" I also click on my fraps and it goes on the task bar to easily get pics. ( PrtScr..........YUCK ).

When your through playing and want to get back on the Net just reboot and click your "Ethernet icon", simple.

Yeah it does take about two/three minutes to reconnect to the Web but your email did not melt. :DL

I like the Internet just like the next guy and there are a lot of things that can be done on the Internet, but why crowd your computer in a corner.

I've heard lots of people complain the game drags so much ( Not just SHIV ) and come to find out a lot of the time they were playing the game while online with every thing running in the background and their poor computer was doing this.... http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/hot11.gif....well you get my drift.

Jeez people, life's short but it's not that short.;)

Well anyhow have fun.:up:

IRISH4Life
02-21-10, 09:40 PM
OK. It took me a few days to find mine. I was going to give you my tree but I cant find them anymore. I know they are in there. My MOBO is set to that file so it makes it easy.

Sorry.

I'll look on MOBO for the tree.

IRISH4life