PDA

View Full Version : Sun doesn't rise in Barbados

applesthecat
02-14-10, 08:48 PM
Okay, this is frustrating. After sailing all across the Atlantic for days to get to Barbados, I finally sneak right into the harbor at night. Destroyers with search lights go right over me, almost hitting my conning tower. They smelled something, but I guess they didn't have asdic, because they didn't ping me. After awhile, they give up and park themselves. In port, free view shows me there are 5 sitting merchants ducks, and those two sitting warship ducks. I got a type IXD2 and lots of fish to feed them.

But I can't see a thing! It is 8:30 am in the morning, not night, and there is no sun. I can't see enough through the scope to make out any targets. It is raining and visibility is terrible.

What do I do? It's a dream situation, but the earth as stopped revolving so the sun refuses to rise. :damn:

Apples

TarJak
02-14-10, 09:19 PM
Is it 0830 local time or Berlin time? The clock at the bottom right of the screen shows Berlin time only. To see local time hover your mouse over the clock.

applesthecat
02-14-10, 10:08 PM
UPDATE: The sky finally lightened about 9:00 am. I suppose it could be a question of daylight savings time. The game clock might have shown 8:30 am, but it might have really been 7:30 am.

Anyway, I shot two torps at a large tanker in the dark, but they for some reason, went underneath the tanker and hit the sea wall behind it. I then fired two torps at a sitting destroyer, but both missed somehow. So I had to evade three warships to get out of there. What is great about Bridgetown harbor is that you can get within 1000 yards of the piers and the depth is still about 300 Meters +. So you have lots of room to dive.

It was fortunate that I did not sink the tanker because when it got lighter outside, I could see all the ships in the harbor were Bolivian flagged, so they were still neutral.

I am on my way to San Juan, Puerto Rico to see if I can raid that harbor for Allied ships. If I find more Bolivians, I won't be happy.

Why should I freeze in the north atlantic when I can go to the Caribbean? :know:

Obltn Strand
02-15-10, 07:31 AM
Why should I freeze in the north atlantic when I can go to the Caribbean? :know:

Why raid ports because ED grid is tanker heaven:arrgh!:

bgey
02-15-10, 07:42 AM
Why raid ports because ED grid is tanker heaven:arrgh!:

ED grid? Where's that?

Cheers,
Benny

Obltn Strand
02-15-10, 09:33 AM
ED grid? Where's that?

Cheers,
Benny

South of Puerto Rico, north of Venezuela, west of Lesser Antilles. Call it quadrant if you will.

Along with sinkings, one can capture a venezuelan warbride as a side operation:arrgh!::ping:

How many miss universums have they produced so far?

irish1958
02-15-10, 11:21 AM
"The Sun Doesn't Rise in Barbados"
A great title for a book or movie.

Sailor Steve
02-15-10, 11:50 AM
UPDATE: The sky finally lightened about 9:00 am. I suppose it could be a question of daylight savings time. The game clock might have shown 8:30 am, but it might have really been 7:30 am.
Did you do as TarJak said and place the mouse cursor over the clock? If you do that you will be shown the date and the LOCAL TIME where you are at!

vanjast
02-15-10, 02:02 PM
I heard that they smoke bob-marleys in barbados... maybe all that smoke is blocking out the sun :D

See anybody :har: on the quayside ??

Jimbuna
02-15-10, 03:20 PM
Don't get too close to the quayside....the natives throw spears :DL

Talyllyn
02-15-10, 03:32 PM
I heard that they smoke bob-marleys in barbados... maybe all that smoke is blocking out the sun :D

See anybody :har: on the quayside ??

In Jamaica a Bob Marley is a multi layered (green, yellow and red) cocktail to be downed in one.
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2356/bobnj.jpg

Not good to have too many - stick to the rum!

Barbados rum is excellent but given the modern language use I do wish they would change its name!

irish1958
02-15-10, 06:23 PM
Be careful of Caribbean drinks. When I was in Haiti years ago a rum and coke consisted of a shot of coke into a large glass of rum.

KL-alfman
02-15-10, 07:00 PM
@ Tallyllyn: nice hand-bag you carry! :O:

@ irish: don't tell us you didn't like the drink .... :D

irish1958
02-15-10, 10:53 PM
and You are right. The rum was Jean Barbeancourt five star, which was aged in oak for a couple of decades or longer. It was not sold outside of Haiti (at least in the 60's). The old three star and the current five star are only eight years old, but it is still good and as smooth as an aged single malt Scotch.