PDA

View Full Version : Why the large realism hit for the Event Camera?

Platapus
02-13-10, 02:36 PM
I like using the event camera. I really enjoy seeing my torpedo traveling through the water and seeing the hull of my target suddenly loom in to view. Well most of the time it looms in to view. :arrgh!:

While I know that the event camera is totally unrealistic, I wonder why there is such a large realism hit for it. I can understand the hit for using the external camera as it can be used to gather SA that gives the player a considerable advantage.

But the Event Camera is eye candy only. I don't see any SA advantage or any other advantage the Event Camera can give the player.

Anyone else like using the Event Camera?

Ships-R-Us
02-13-10, 04:02 PM
My thinking on this subject is that when you pick up a hydrophone or radar contact at long range it is too easy to soul travel via camera great distances to view the convoys make up and ship placement in order to plan a successful attack.

However the camera is a great tool that aids in composing the great photos we all enjoy.......Ships...

Bubblehead1980
02-13-10, 07:50 PM
Event Camera causes a realism hit because in RL the only way to visually see if your torpedos hit is if you were looking through scope or on surface, from distance.

Having the magic camera to watch your fish hits is not realistic.Can help you determine if your fish ran deep etc sub crews timed their fish and if didnt detonate often didnt know what happened.

nothing wrong with using it but just answering your question

jerm138
02-13-10, 08:55 PM
I don't worry about the realism number. I even use the external camera. You just have to have discipline to only use it for eye candy and not for intelligence gathering. This is why I really wish the program had a replay function like MS Flight Simulator... then you could do everything realistically, then go back later and watch what you did from 3rd person point of view.

Ships-R-Us
02-13-10, 09:14 PM
I don't worry about the realism number. I even use the external camera. You just have to have discipline to only use it for eye candy and not for intelligence gathering. This is why I really wish the program had a replay function like MS Flight Simulator... then you could do everything realistically, then go back later and watch what you did from 3rd person point of view.

Everything you ask for is available through the use of HyCam2. The software is free, and the video is excellent except for periscope view. I use it a lot as a training aid. When I finish with it I erase it with Heide Eraser which is also free, as I "do not use the recycle bin" on my machine for anything.

jerm138
02-14-10, 02:32 AM
I will have to check out hycam2, but it doesn't sound like what I was talking about...

From what I can tell, hycam records .avi video of what you see on-screen.

I'm talking about the simulator making a file so that it can re-create a situation using the game engine. This makes for a small re-play file since it's just data and not actual video, and while it's playing you can switch and adjust camera views all you want. This allows you to play on 100% realism (i.e. no external camera or event camera) then go back later and watch what you did from different views.

The hycam program looks like it would be good for making video tutorials though. I will definitely be trying it out. Thanks for the tip.

Armistead
02-14-10, 05:13 AM
I thought it just changed it from hight to custom, but didn't effect the number itself....but haven't used it so long, hated the way it popped up.

sergei
02-14-10, 07:45 AM
While I know that the event camera is totally unrealistic, I wonder why there is such a large realism hit for it.

It is easy to change the realism percentages to whatever you wish.
The file you are looking for is SH4/Data/Cfg/GameplaySettings.cfg.
Open it up and down at the bottom you will see a block of text that looks something like this.

[RealismPercentage]
LimitedBatteriesRealismPercentage=13
LimitedCompressedAirRealismPercentage=2
LimitedO2RealismPercentage=8
LimitedFuelRealismPercentage=14
RealisticRepairTimeRealismPercentage=8
ManualTargetingSystemRealismPercentage=15
NoMapUpdateRealismPercentage=0
RealisticSensorsRealismPercentage=6
DudTorpedoesRealismPercentage=11
RealisticReloadRealismPercentage=6
NoEventCameraRealismPercentage=0
NoExternalViewRealismPercentage=10
NoStabilizeViewRealismPercentage=7
MPShowPlayerNamesRealismPercentage=0
MPShowTorpedoesRealismPercentage=0

The numbers probably won't all match, these are the settings from TMO 1.9.
Change these numbers to whatever you want. Make sure they add up to 100!
And please back up your cfg first, in case something gets FUBARED!