PDA

View Full Version : SH1 SJ Radar Differences?

bishop
02-13-10, 08:24 AM
I've been playing SH1 since 1997, and I'm sure this has been asked before (did a search but didn't come up with anything), but I never paid attention to it until recently when messing with the mission builder...

In the game there are two versions of the SJ, SJa and later SJ-1. Both radars can be used with A or PPI scope displays. In the game, the SJa has a green display and the SJ-1 is amber. Now, outside of that obvious difference, is there any actual in-game performance difference between the two versions? Does the later '1' variant have a greater detection range?

I suppose I could set up some test missions but just curious if anyone would know the answer...

Hitman
02-13-10, 08:51 AM
Hummm I thought Sj was only A-Scope, SJa and SJ1 both A-Scope + PPI, but I might be wrong :hmmm:

In the silent thunder campaign forums I think I readed long ago that SJ-1 has improved performance (longer detection range + sensitivity), but would need to check it.

bishop
02-13-10, 09:43 AM
Hummm I thought Sj was only A-Scope, SJa and SJ1 both A-Scope + PPI, but I might be wrong :hmmm:

In the builder, you can't select an SJ (unless I'm missing some setting), just the SJa and SJ-1. And yea, both of them can be PPI or A.

I do vaguely recall reading something about increased range. If I have some time next couple days, I'll setup a test mission and mess with it.

CTarana
02-13-10, 07:07 PM
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/radar/part4.htm

It varies for the SJ depending on the target size, anywhere from 15000 for a DD to 30000 yards for a BB. The SJ-1(a) is supposed to be good out to 40000 yards.

ChristopherT

aanker
04-10-10, 01:05 PM
In-game there are 3 versions of SJ. The early SJ A-scope, then the more advanced Improved SJ PPI with a green screen good to 20,000 yds, that is soon replaced with the SJ red background 40,000 yard contact & display.

Happy Hunting!

Art

Edit: so there is no confusion my post above described the SJ. Separate from the SJ, to the left is the SD A-Scope screen. For a short period early in the SJ development there will be two A-Scopes; the SD on the left and SJ on the right - soon replaced with a green then red PPI as described above....