PDA

View Full Version : Is it too much to expect TC to reset BEFORE I run aground

Platapus
02-07-10, 06:13 PM
I really hate the TC in SH4.

I had a really successful patrol and was heading back home. I was between midway and pearl so I upped the TC to 1K. I failed to notice one of those micro islands that don't show up on the chart. My bad

But, I would think that the TC would revert back to 1:1 before I slam in to the island at 18 knots!

And don't get me started on the wonderful DC in SH4 :damn:

psykopatsak
02-07-10, 06:18 PM
how can you even expect such a thing! of course the boat must be completley destroyed and flooded despite the fact that its actually hovering in the air :?

Torplexed
02-07-10, 07:42 PM
Yeah...we've all been there.:nope: It's even worse in the South China Sea.

magic452
02-07-10, 11:27 PM
Platapus I think I ran into the same island. :damn:

Magic

Armistead
02-08-10, 12:00 AM
HAHA, just happened to me not long ago after one of my best patrols and no save point....Now this is running aground..

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/SH4Img2009-12-20_061609_531.jpg

Schroeder
02-08-10, 06:38 AM
Happened to me too. The lookouts must have been blind.:damn:

Thank [insert entity here] I was only running 10 knots so the damage wasn't that horrific.

What I love too is high TC and then pressing C instead of X. I only wanted to get the watch to appear but I found myself kissing the seabed at 512TC.... in the same patrol by the way in which I rammed that *censored* island.:damn::damn:
But again my Gato proved to be very sturdy and only took some more minor damage.
But the guys at the shipyard were all looking at me in a strange way when I turned in a badly damaged sub without having had a shot fired at me or a DC dropped at me.....:oops:

Nisgeis
02-08-10, 07:48 AM
It also depends on your CPU. If your CPU is struggling at whatever TC setting you are at, it can't take as many time slices, so the points that it will warp between are larger. In this way it can warp you from deep water to grounded, without chosing a shallow point and dropping to low TC in between.

Whenever it happens to me, I think, I'll just wait for high tide... Oh no!

Syxx_Killer
02-08-10, 10:14 AM
Gotta love the US Navy submersible bulldozer! :dead: I've learned a long time back to zoom in on the map when doing waypoints. It can be a pain to do waypoints from a zoomed in view, but after beaching myself a number of times before it is actually less of a headache. :haha: I have often wished the devs could have added a simple line color change if your waypoint would take you over land. Command: Aces of the Deep did that all those moons ago.

Nisgeis
02-08-10, 01:41 PM
That's a very good idea!

aanker
02-09-10, 12:28 AM
Aces of the Deep did that all those moons ago.
So did Silent Hunter 1. Come to think of it, SH1 wouldn't even let you make waypoints if they went over land

Happy Hunting!

Art

Torplexed
02-09-10, 12:41 AM
So did Silent Hunter 1. Come to think of it, SH1 wouldn't even let you make waypoints if they went over land

Happy Hunting!

Art

Yeah. Seems like a lot of smart, intuitive design has been replaced by pretty eye candy over the years. :cry:

Frederf
02-09-10, 05:22 AM
Any dive (D, C) should instantly set the TC to 1x. Why would ANYONE want to crash dive at 512x? Why should the program allow it?

SteamWake
02-10-10, 04:40 PM
Any dive (D, C) should instantly set the TC to 1x. Why would ANYONE want to crash dive at 512x? Why should the program allow it?

I have died several times due to this quirk...

All I can say is save early and save often :salute:

Elder-Pirate
02-11-10, 12:03 AM
If you're gonna make waypoints with the map waaaay out there, then you're most likely to eat sand. :damn:
Makes common sense, pull up the map and see the beach. :doh: