PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 questions

RickC Sniper
02-03-10, 06:49 PM
I just got my new rig with Windows 7 64 bit (see my build thread in this forum) and it is sweet, but I have a couple of questions.

Under Start\All Programs I have 2 shortcuts to Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer 64 bit
and
Internet Explorer
The second one targets Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
The 64 bit one's target is the same but without the (x86)
Do I have two versions of Internet Explorer and if so, why? They look the same to me when launched.

Also:
When installing a game they choose a default path of Program Files\(x86) etc etc
But, I have two Program Files folders as well. One with the (x86) added and one without. What's the purpose of that or is my install wonked?
I assume this is related to the IE X86????

Should I let games install in the default location which has the (x86) or install them in the other Program Files folder?
If I use the default Program Files (x86) won't that mess up my use of JSGME with SH3 & 4 because all the mods aren't set up to look for the game in a location tree with that extension?

3. Any way to resize the vscroll bar? I know, everybody uses a scroll wheel so you never use it but I use a large trackball (disabled) and I have to scroll by grabbing that bar and would like to widen it..

In XP you could resize that, and desktop icons to any size you wanted but with Windows 7 I'm finding a choice of large or small for destop icons and no option for that scroll bar.

........Thanks!

CaptainHaplo
02-03-10, 07:06 PM
OK - I gotta admit - I got nothing on the slider bar on the side. Will look into it but I can't promise anything.

As for the other - yes you have 2 versions of IE. Like most software nowadays, standard IE is written fully as a 32 bit - though it can have 16 bit extensions. The 64 bit edition is one that is written to be fully 64 bit compatible, meaning old 16 bit extentions wont be supported - but new 64 bit ones will. Ultimately, you don't need 2 of them, so just use one and delete the shortcut and forget about it. I suggest the 64 bit version for a few reasons, from speed to functionality and security - though with your rig you won't notice the speed.

Also - the 2 locations is so that windows doesn't get confused on what are true 64 bit apps (the PROGRAM FILES) vs the older 32 bit (x86) ones. Its more a housekeeping thing for windows.

However, if your installing games - I strongly suggest you create a games folder on your drive and install all your stuff there instead - so the install path would be X:\games\gamename\ - where X is the letter of the drive you are installing to. I install all my games to my D drive to keep it seperate from the OS. That is up to personal preference though. The key is that Win7 does some odd things with permissions of folders under both of the program files folders, so a seperate install location solves that.

RickC Sniper
02-03-10, 10:17 PM
That explains much. Thank you for the detailed infofmation.

I apprectiate this very much.