PDA

View Full Version : New Firefox 3.6 See how fast it goes . . .

Castout
01-26-10, 08:31 PM
I checked my Firefox 3.5.7 for update today and it says that Firefox 3.6 is available for download so I did and I noticed increased speed in browsing but you might want to check it out yourself. However Firefox 3.6 is not available yet for full download only as upgrade.

Check it out if you happen to be already using Firefox browser and let's discuss it here if you like.

JSLTIGER
01-26-10, 10:56 PM
Not true...Firefox 3.6 has been out since last week as a full version.

Castout
01-26-10, 11:17 PM
Not true...Firefox 3.6 has been out since last week as a full version.

Oops when I went to their site and tried to download the latest version the files still read 3.5.7...I wonder...

and just tried it again this time the page loads the 3.6 version.
So yes ver 3.6 is available as full download.:DL

The browsing speed is noticeably faster or am I imagining things here?
I'm impressed with ver 3.6.:yeah:

kiwi_2005
01-27-10, 07:38 AM
No update for Ubuntu's Firefox yet still with 3.5.7, but then again no slow problems with Firefox using linux compared to when i switch to XP and load up Firefox it drags its arse.

Castout
01-27-10, 10:12 PM
No update for Ubuntu's Firefox yet still with 3.5.7, but then again no slow problems with Firefox using linux compared to when i switch to XP and load up Firefox it drags its arse.

Umm have you considered trojans and malware in the XP partition? :rotfl2:

3.6 is noticebaly faster than 3.5.7 and 3.5.7 was not slow either....Good job Firefox! I'm thrilled to have dumped IE eons ago and will never look back. Firefox all the way!

I still remember when Netscape navigator was sued by Microsoft resulting them to shut their browser development. . .now it seems IE has to compete with the likes of Firefox which is a tonne better than it....karma comes back soon enough:nope:

kiwi_2005
01-28-10, 09:33 AM
Umm have you considered trojans and malware in the XP partition? :rotfl2:

No none whatsoever otherwise other programs would drag its butt or act strange too. Try Ubuntu and see what i mean your notice a huge difference in speed when using FF etc. I cant stand MS Windows but i still need the damn thing for gaming :damn: Go linux and support Free software sharing no copyrights BS :yeah:

Syxx_Killer
01-28-10, 10:15 AM
I didn't notice much difference between 3.6 and the previous version. I've made the jump to Chrome, anyway, so FF seems slower all the way around. :88) Now that Chrome 4 has been released and extensions are available (like Ad Block) I have no reason to use FF anymore.

Castout
01-28-10, 09:45 PM
Umm this video made a comparison between Firefox 3.6 and IE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-V60B5hvSg&feature=rec-fresh+div-r-10-HM

I would love trying Open system OS but I need the windows environment for gaming too . . .

kiwi_2005
01-30-10, 03:34 AM
I would love trying Open system OS but I need the windows environment for gaming too . . .

Ah yes but you go Dual boot brother... dual boot. You then got Ubuntu for the web and that nasty thing call windows for games :)

Castout
01-30-10, 04:48 AM
Ah yes but you go Dual boot brother... dual boot. You then got Ubuntu for the web and that nasty thing call windows for games :)

Umm my harddisk is rather limited with only 250Gb of size perhaps for my next machine....sometime next year :D

Skybird
01-31-10, 08:58 PM
Is it still as ressources-hungry as the early 3.x versions? I tried it then, only to see that it kept the HD spinning all the time like crazy even when no animation or scrolling took place, and system monitor showed constant spikes of up to 70% of the CPU's reserve being used. I tried the version 3 release, and left it behind, and tried again when the first major upgrade was available, and had the same effect, and again left it behind, like I left FF1 and 2 as well, for other problems. Others back then were complaining, too.

Is this now history, or is FF still behaving as if it is the centre of the digital universe...?

Castout
02-02-10, 04:35 AM
Is it still as ressources-hungry as the early 3.x versions? I tried it then, only to see that it kept the HD spinning all the time like crazy even when no animation or scrolling took place, and system monitor showed constant spikes of up to 70% of the CPU's reserve being used. I tried the version 3 release, and left it behind, and tried again when the first major upgrade was available, and had the same effect, and again left it behind, like I left FF1 and 2 as well, for other problems. Others back then were complaining, too.

Is this now history, or is FF still behaving as if it is the centre of the digital universe...?

MMmm Firefox is not hogging my system at all Skybird it easy on my CPU :yeah:

Skybird
02-04-10, 05:28 AM
Tested 3.6 this night. And I still cannot understand the hype around it, even more so since the problem I mentioned above (and which several people on this board coinfirmed when 3.0 was released) is still existent. I then checked in the task manager and saw that the browser was listed with taking a hopping 1.2 GB of my 2 GB RAM !!! At that time, after maybe 10-15 minutes of browsing, my system already was extremely slow again and stuttered, with my HD working overtime shifts, and as a further investigation (via IE8 :) ) and Googling revealed, the symptom is existing for sure. Some refer to it as a memory leak, which it obviously is, others try to declare it as a feature. Well, no matter what priorities amazing features like bogging down the system have in Firefox, I surely do not tolerate any brwoser, ever, being such a system hog, feature or not.

Since I tried 3.0 and 3.1 (or 3.2, I am not sure), both RAM bars and memory size, graphics card, HD, DVD have changed over here. Also several system reinstalls.

Ah, and after I deleted Firefox again and scanned my system with having forgotten to delete the Temp folder first, my scanners gave me 5 alarms again. Which happens almost never when using IE8 in high security settings and Java and active script deactivated, and the temp folder also not deleted (which it usually gets, when closing IE8).

This was probably the last time ever I tried Firefox, I did so with several versions, even early one (2), and all tests were very quickly very disillusionising. To me it just is hype, sorry. Chrome is no altermative, since it is a Google data kraken, leaving them knowing more about yourself than you know yourself. So for the forseeable future I stay with IE8. Against popular belief, over here it has shown to be the safer and more trouble-free browser, and repeatedly so.