PDA

View Full Version : screw pitch and rotation

mcostello70
01-19-10, 09:50 PM
One thing I hope ubisoft gets right in SH5 is proper screw pitch and shaft rotation.
Gentlemen get your cameras ready. In SH4 the left prop is either pitched wrong or the shaft rotation is wrong. Look real close.
IE: while the boat moving forward the left prop is driving in reverse. How could this be? Your boat should be doing right-hand donuts!:arrgh!:

Sailor Steve
01-20-10, 12:57 AM
WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

Of course this is something that has been brought up and discussed many times, and we all want it to be as accurate as possible.

Buuuuuuut...once again I have to point out that the external view that lets you see that is one of the most unrealistic things about these games.

capthelm
01-20-10, 01:22 AM
as said before in another similar posting, how would dev team get somthing simple as screw rotation wrong?

i dont think so , its a optical illusion that they created. rotation at high speed ,can give of the appearance of spinning in the wrong direction and also gives the appearance of stopping for a split second.

you can see the screw illusion trick on this uboat model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAIHdLwECZM

JScones
01-20-10, 02:08 AM
Buuuuuuut...once again I have to point out that the external view that lets you see that is one of the most unrealistic things about these games.
True, but it is claimed (by the devs) to be an HISTORICALLY ACCURATE SIMULATION that focuses EXCLUSIVELY on the Type VII, so if they can't get this minor detail correct on one U-boat type, then...

IanC
01-20-10, 02:15 AM
as said before in another similar posting, how would dev team get somthing simple as screw rotation wrong?

i dont think so , its a optical illusion that they created. rotation at high speed ,can give of the appearance of spinning in the wrong direction and also gives the appearance of stopping for a split second.

you can see the screw illusion trick on this uboat model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAIHdLwECZM

That's a good point and a known illusion. Easy way to find out in SH3, just cut the engines and see which way they're rotating just before stoping.

ETR3(SS)
01-20-10, 11:01 AM
You could also use S3D to lower the max shaft RPMs to 1 and see that way too. :03:

Ships-R-Us
01-20-10, 11:22 AM
Just stop the boat then go to 1/3 and you will see everything. The members all know I, out of boredom, for ****s and grins, have examined every mod and made notes.... Ducimus has it 100% correct and Tambor put LH prop on the stbd shaft and a RH prop on the port shaft to correct the movement, to compensate for improper shaft rotation...
HE WAS SLICK TO THINK THAT ONE UP.....GO TAMBOR