PDA

View Full Version : 16 Torpedos later....Yamato

Bubblehead1980
01-17-10, 04:41 PM
TMO 1.9 RSRD 100 realism

Had a great career going in a Gato in 1944 when file was corrupted somehow, so when went to load saved game, :damn:.

I then started a new career with a Balao in October 1944 with Subpac, based at Guam.Orders were to proceed at 12 knot speed of advance to south end of Formosa Strait and look for the IJN fleet which was expected to sortie to oppose the Leyte Landings.I headed there at 16 knots because 12 would be cutting it too close.Somehow I never found any fleet, just some singles, but saved my fish for fleet since my orders said find them.After time was up, headed for San Bernadino Strait at flank speed, transited the strait and arrived in Sibuyan Sea after midnight on 24 October 1944.

While on patrol in Sibuyan Sea, made radar contact with large group of ships moving fast.Could soon sea large masts and pagoda type structures of large warships from the bridge, radar warning equipment was going nuts, so I ordered a dive.Heavy seas were a life saver since I had to make a high speed submerged run to get into position.After a run at 100 feet and 9 knots, was in position I had laid out on chart, went to scope depth and raised scope, setup was not bad.Soon a large wave of US planes were in view and began attacking the fleet.As the fleet closed and I manuevered between the large forward screen on DD's, I spotted what looked like a Yamato class from long range.Made an initial speed, range and AOB estimate, entered to TDC so have a solution to begin with and adjust later.

Sooon it was obvious this was a large task force....counted two Yamato battleships as well as several other BB's, several heavy cruisers, plenty of DD's.The force was moving at 22 knots in heavy seas.I soon readied all 6 Mark 14's in bow tubes and all 4 Mark 18's in stern tubes.Soon had good solution on the Yamato-Class .As was ready to fire, pinging started by an Asashio DD, but fired anyway from just 1000 yards.

All six hit the Yamato, all were aimed from forward turret to stern but due to a turn by the big BB, most hit forward.I then went to 400 feet while several DD's made a rather dedicated attack in heavy seas.Listening on sonar, could hear the Yamato had slowed down.After 20 minutes of enduring charges, some close.The DD's apparently ran to catch up with fleet.After an hour, forward tubes were reloaded, back to scope depth.

The BB had a nice list to port and was making just 5 knots.One DD remained in area as a guard.Went deep and made high speed run, closed to 2500 yards, fired all six bow tubes again, all hit, including one that mustve destroyed the ships rudder, it began making a slow turn it never pulled out of.After enduring a lackluster depth charge attack from last DD, back up and ready for stern shot from 1800 yards.All four Mark 18's hit their mark, one hit under second forward gun turret, caused a decent fire.

10 minutes later, a huge explosion followed by many secondaries began rocking the BB which gained a further listed.As evaded the prowling DD and reloaded torpedos, heard another large explosion 15 minutes later, a look with the scope showed the ship going down, which was confirmed by report from crew.

Guess could say I bagged the Musashi which was really sunk in the Sibuyan Sea on 24 October 1944.

Unfortunately my screen shots did not save:damn: Guess while busy gaining firing data and avoiding the DD, got a little overload.

Anyone sunk the Kongo in the Formosa Straits in Nov 44 like the Sealion II did? or the Shinano ? Talking in the campaign of course, not single missions.

jerm138
01-17-10, 08:31 PM
Wow... that sounds pretty awesome!

I'm just starting, so I get excited when I see a single merchant. I'm not sure I'd know how to handle a situation like that, but hopefully I'll get there someday. Reading stories like this helps.

Gibus
01-18-10, 03:37 AM
Nice story, Bubblehead.
Yamato and Musashi can be cast with 10 torpedoes, but do not give them time to repair the damage.
Once, I killed him with only 6 Mk-16 in the Bungo Strait, April 7, 1945.

Armistead
01-18-10, 11:27 AM
Can't remember the date now, but a fun patrol with RSRD is to catch the Yamato making it's final voyage. I think it's just the Y with several dd's. I bet I tracked it 700 miles. I hurt it badly and was tracking it, but not able to end around. It got near a port and vanished...I was like crap. I hung around a few days and it reappeared on radar...totally fixed as usual.

I was able to get in position and get several in it. Slowed it down, but was held down and damaged by dd's. Finally got back up and followed the dd's on radar until I caught up. It got near another port and vanished..so I waited again, and next day back on radar. Same thing, got in position and put my remaining bow and got a few stern hits.

It actually got to the historical area where it was sunk. I was trying to set up and shoot my stern torps at it and right on time the correct day here come many groups of US aircraft. They attacked over and over. I rushed in trying to get one torp in it and shot a long range spread that all missed.

The planes finally sunk it. I hoped I would get credit since I had put some torps in it, usually you do, but I did not, but it was awesome watching the battle.

The funniest thing that ever happeded was running into the Yamato the day before the war ended in the Bungo....guess that's a stock glitch, but I sunk it the night before the war ended the next day.

Bubblehead1980
01-18-10, 04:50 PM
lol yea that was a stock thing, they didnt pay that much detail to the warships.Could run into Hiryu carriers in 45 when they were sent to the bottom in 42 at Midway.

I was surprised it took 16 fish to sink the sob, most i ever had to use until this was 10.I guess since I could not immediately fire my stern tubes due to the DD being so close, they had time to repair and prepare for more.The final explosions were really nice though:yeah: