PDA

View Full Version : Finally Have My Own Command

SSN_638
01-17-10, 11:00 AM
Greetings, all!
My name's Bob Williams, and 35 years ago I was a quartermaster aboard the USS Whale (SSN-638). For you non-navy types, that's navigation :03:. I was also qualified for and stood watch at the helm/planes, passive sonar stack and a number of non-underway watches. I volunteered for the ship's machinist position and made a couple of underway repairs to steam valves on the lathe back in the engine room. Once, while we were transiting the North Atlantic, I got permission from the OOD to practice 'bottom contour' navigation - using the fathometer to compare actual ocean depth to what our charted position predicted. During this practice I encountered a previously uncharted feature. I assembled all of the pertinent data and the Skipper submitted it to the Hydrographic Office and, a few months later, I received a letter from them stating that the new feature, an undersea mountain, was now named "Williams Seamount" :D! I still have that letter.

Our home port was New London, Connecticut and while I was on board we made several six month deployments to the Mediterranean Sea and a "Northern Run". Unfortunately, I can't go into any detail about the Northern Run mission, but I can tell you that in the Med our chief function was finding and shadowing Soviet ballistic missile subs. I absolutely loved being a submariner - I'd wanted to be one since reading "Up Periscope" when I was 11 years old.

So, when my friend Gary (Freebird on these forums) bought Silent Hunter 4 with the U-Boat missions for me for Christmas, I was overjoyed! This sim is AWESOME!!! I've been able to apply all of that knowledge about subs and submarine warfare and I've been doing almost nothing but eating, sleeping and laying waste to the Japs since I got it :o. I'm currently in command of the USS Skipjack, on my fifth patrol in the Solomons, and so far we've sent 170,000 tons to the bottom this time out. Last patrol we sunk 212,800 tons in 45 days. I'm running in 'Hard' mode - none of that automatic targeting for me, thank you very much.

I look forward to swapping sea stories with you guys. Good luck and good hunting.

Freebird
01-17-10, 11:16 AM
Yup, me & Bob drank the kool-aid! We are HOOKED on SH4!

Gary

ETR3(SS)
01-17-10, 11:40 AM
Welcome aboard!:salute: There's quite a few bubbleheads here on the forums and a couple of skimmers too. There's quite a few playable subs around here to have fun with. Nothing special on the inside really, but it's nice to see the hull in game.

Sailor Steve
01-17-10, 11:48 AM
WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

The bad news is you'll have to put up with a lot of old skimmers here as well.
:rotfl2:

sergei
01-17-10, 11:57 AM
Welcome aboard. :salute:
You're gonna like it here.:DL

Torplexed
01-17-10, 12:19 PM
I'm currently in command of the USS Skipjack, on my fifth patrol in the Solomons, and so far we've sent 170,000 tons to the bottom this time out. Last patrol we sunk 212,800 tons in 45 days.

Awww...you make General Tojo sad. :D

Welcome aboard! :sunny:

http://pyxis.homestead.com/Tojo_sTeddy.jpg

elanaiba
01-17-10, 12:39 PM
LOL @ Torplexed!

Welcome aboard, Navy guys, and glad you enjoy the game!

jerm138
01-17-10, 01:16 PM
Welcome!

I just got started about a month ago. This is definitely more than just a "game." It's a simulator with a great community of people who help us nubs out at every turn.

I'm sure your experience as a QM will be helpful to us all. I was an EM, so unless the griddle stops working, there's not a whole I can pull from my real-life experience.

Ships-R-Us
01-17-10, 04:05 PM
Welcome aboard SSN-638..I'm also new here and believe this is a great game, and a magnificent site. For the record, in May 1968 my ship DD883, ComDesron20, was called from the med to look for debris when the USS Scorpion SSN-589 was lost. For one week we searched for our lost mates and a debris field. Absolutely nothing was ever found.

HMCS
01-17-10, 06:18 PM
Welcome aboard. I desperately wanted to get my dolphins when I was in the Naval Reserve, but listened to other voices (GF). Ah, the choices we make.

SH4 gets even better with the terrific mods available. Check out TMO and Real Fleet Boat. It only gets better, QM.

Tweety
01-17-10, 08:23 PM
Welcome aboard SSN_638,

Tweety

FIREWALL
01-17-10, 08:50 PM
Welcome Aboard :salute:

ReallyDedPoet
01-17-10, 10:09 PM
Welcome to SUBSIM :yep::up:

Ships-R-Us
01-17-10, 11:09 PM
Welcome aboard SSN-638..I'm also new here and believe this is a great game, and a magnificent site. For the record, in May 1968 my ship DD883, ComDesron20, was called from the med to look for debris when the USS Scorpion SSN-589 was lost. For one week we searched for our lost mates and a debris field. Absolutely nothing was ever found.

To clarify why I quoted as such. I have been aboard many commissioned subs after leaving the Navy through the course of my employment. I have met hundreds of bubbleheads, and have come to know them as a special breed of sailor, with a character and steadfastness to duty that surpasses many. I personally know family members from those aboard the USS Thresher when she went down.

To make it simple. I have the highest respect for submariners. I never served on a sub, only worked on them and with many of the former SRO's and RO's for many years. My hats off to the silent service

les green01
01-18-10, 12:17 AM
welcome aboard

lorka42
01-18-10, 12:43 AM
Welcome aboard, I, too, am a bit of a newb, at least to manual targeting. been playing this game for a grip, and got back into it when i found it in an old box. I find the manual targeting difficult, yet, ultimately more rewarding than point and shoot.

jerm138
01-18-10, 01:38 AM
I find the manual targeting difficult, yet, ultimately more rewarding than point and shoot.

Targeting is the heart and soul of this game. It would be devastatingly boring to always use auto.

Now I just wish they had a button for "Range... MARK... Bearing... MARK" that would update the enemy's location on the plot based on the data you give it.

Contact Updates is too much information and too accurate, but manually plotting is too time consuming to do in realtime while planning an attack... that's why skippers had people to do it for them as they called out the range and bearing.

Someday... someday...

SSN_638
01-18-10, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the hearty welcome, fellas :sunny:! Actually, for the last few months of my service I was a skimmer :o. The Whale was headed into the yards and what use is a QM there? The USS Sunbird ASR-15 lost a QM unexpectedly just before a deployment to the UK area, and I got assigned TAD to fill in. I wasn't happy about it, but I did my duty. Unfortunately, The 'Bird could have stood in for that minesweeper in the "Caine Mutiny". The Capt'n was every bit as nuts as Queeg, and in 35' seas tried to come about and we damned near capsized. I was on the bridge wing on the side that rolled down. Between that and 3 more weeks of 35' to 65' seas with systems on the ship failing (gyrocompass, radar, steering from the pilot house, etc.) it screwed me up pretty bad. I learned in April from a VA shrink that I've had PTSD for 33 years. SH4 has turned out to not only be a whole lot of fun being a bubblehead again, it's a great way to relieve stress :yeah:!

Anyway, I made some good friends on the Bird. You skimmers out there are plenty okay. The crew of the Bird was mostly a great bunch of guys stuck with a crazy skipper on an old, obsolete ship.

Good Hunting

Ships-R-Us
01-18-10, 04:00 AM
SSN-638, you are correct about the game being therapeutic. It fits different people in different ways for a variety of reasons.
Welcome aboard again..........

Andrew82
01-18-10, 04:09 AM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

Ships-R-Us
01-18-10, 04:10 AM
When you mentioned the Whale it jarred my memory. I worked on your boat untill March/1978 while it was in the yards. If any other submariners were in the yards at Kittery, ME between 1975 and early 1978 I worked on your sub. At the time I knew the SRO's and RO's very well on your boat.

Quote:

1976–1978
Whale resumed normal United States East Coast operations until 9 September 1976 when she entered the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard at Kittery, Maine, for a refueling overhaul. That overhaul concluded on 7 July 1978. Whale then spent the remainder of 1978 in refresher training for the purpose of obtaining certification throughout the full range of her weapons system.

Captain Vlad
01-18-10, 07:45 PM
Welcome to Subsim!