PDA

View Full Version : Resolved windows 7 issue!!!

BLITZKRIEG4590
01-17-10, 01:38 AM
I got this information from the ubisoft technical help forums.

1. Uninstall SH3
2. Run SFRemove
3. Reboot
4. Begin installation of SH3 as normal
5. When you get to Game Shadow cancel install
6. When you get to finish screen DO NOT press Finish. This seems crucial!
7. Install the 1.4 EU DVD patch with Run As Admin
8. ONLY after 7 has completed hit finish and the launcher screen runs to check system spec and reboot message appears. DO NOT reboot.
9. Exit spec check. DO NOT choose Launch.
10. Overwrite the files with the NO DVD rld-sh14.rar
11. Run the game. Should now work.

Thanks to TonyJF from the Ubisoft Forums for this guide, just follow exactly. I used the US version of the patch, and did not remove starforce as it wasnt there.
Hope this helped.

StarLion45
01-18-10, 12:43 AM
You cannot install the game in ProgramFiles , you must install it in another place :yep:

BLITZKRIEG4590
01-19-10, 01:36 PM
Someone else stated that but I did, and it worked, its probably safer to install somewhere else. Some people may have different outcomes.

SeaWolf U-57
01-19-10, 02:16 PM
As Neal posted here on SubSim

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160118 :salute:

Pisces
01-19-10, 06:19 PM
StarLion45's suggestion is still valid. Using the default location in c:\Program Files is going to make you crazy if you want to mod files. This has nothing to do with StarForce, just Vista/Win7 security protocol.

torpedobait
01-25-10, 03:07 PM

1. Uninstall SH3
2. Run SFRemove
3. Reboot
8. ONLY after 7 has completed hit finish and the launcher screen runs to check system spec and reboot message appears. DO NOT reboot.

Thanks to TonyJF from the Ubisoft Forums for this guide, just follow exactly. I used the US version of the patch, and did not remove starforce as it wasnt there.
Hope this helped.

Did you load GWX3 Gold too? The above appears to apply only to SHIII (patched).

torpedobait
02-14-10, 02:13 PM
I followed all the instructions above. I can now run SH3 with the various mods still available, but cannot get GWX to run at all.

With a clean install (everything deleted and files rolled back, etc.), and application of 1.04b patch, plus the no-DVD files and the GWX SH3 Commander .cfg files, GWX Gold appears to load ok. When I run it, I get the intro screen and movie, and the load screen appears to run to completion. However, at that point I get 2 warning messages:
1. "Warning: There is a new (not implemented) page <Page Ingame Options>!" with an "OK" button. This is followed by:
2. "Warning: Menu ID not found: 0x1a000008!", also with an "OK" button.
Windows then issues a message that Silent Hunter III has stopped working, and then its back to the desktop.

Naturally, this is frustrating. Has ANYONE encountered such a thing, and is there a fix?

Running SHIII without GWX is like kissing your sister - basic, but not satisfying. :cry::wah::damn:

ryanglavin
02-14-10, 03:38 PM
Running SHIII without GWX is like kissing your sister - basic, but not satisfying. :cry::wah::damn:

My sister or your sister? I just want to clarify.

torpedobait
02-14-10, 09:35 PM
Me kissing my own sister, thank you!

Now, can you help with the GWX-Win7 issue?:damn:

[SJ]nailz
02-15-10, 05:15 AM
I had another issue with win7 yesterday. I wanted to install nHancer, but i needed to update my GFX drivers to use it. After the update to the most recent forceware drivers, SH3 would not start. I kept geting either, unable to initialise 3D engine, or a plain SH3 has stopped working. I tried with and without the d3d9.dll screen res fix but no joy. eventually I rolled back to the stock driver that ships with win7 and it worked again, only now I get every now and then a kind of false start, where it starts, but only appears as a process in task manager...

KptnLt Eric Karle
02-15-10, 05:48 AM
Hi all, been away from SHIII for a long time and recently got a new pc (Windows 7) and decided to try SHIII again, having similar problems to others. Getting a Starforce Protection popup saying Game Updated successfully but needs reboot to run. This happens continously regards of reboot, also getting a windows message saying File incompatibly (obviously Starforce) Did the removal tool, Uninstalled, re-installed, updated Starforce with the same result. Can someone refresh my aging memory and explain why SHIII should not go into Program Files?. And has anyone else sucessfully tried the OP's method?

torpedobait
02-15-10, 08:30 AM
I recall seeing a post earlier that said not to install in Program Files. I did it anyway, but now I think I understand why it isn't working. I believe that Win 7 tries to "protect" itself from unauthorized changes, especially to programs and files in that directory (either the 64 bit or 32 bit directories), by making most of them Read Only and preventing installation routines found on disks and/or run from downloads from having access to update.

One of the things I saw last night in attempting another clean install was that files could not be deleted by Patch 1.04b. It said "access denied", which was my clue that not all of the updates are being applied.

As an experiment, I'm going to remove everything (again!) and reinstall in the C:\Games\Ubisoft... directory instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft... I will post the results. BTW, have not encountered the two problems posted above, but I expect they are related to Win 7's desire to "protect" us.

Gilbou
02-15-10, 08:45 AM
It's called shadowing.

The Program Files is read only. When you make modifications they are stored inside something called "Virtual Store" that replicates, somewhere else, the exact same path and contents.

Ex. a Program inside :

c:\Program Files\example

Writing inside its folder would have the files send to :

c:\Users\<username>\Virtual Store\Program Files\example

(path may vary)

So it protects the programs. The only way to write something inside the Program Files folder is to have administrator privileges.

TarJak
02-15-10, 06:21 PM
nailz;1268353']I had another issue with win7 yesterday. I wanted to install nHancer, but i needed to update my GFX drivers to use it. After the update to the most recent forceware drivers, SH3 would not start. I kept geting either, unable to initialise 3D engine, or a plain SH3 has stopped working. I tried with and without the d3d9.dll screen res fix but no joy. eventually I rolled back to the stock driver that ships with win7 and it worked again, only now I get every now and then a kind of false start, where it starts, but only appears as a process in task manager...
The cannot initialize 3D engine is most likely caused by your screen refresh rate being 59Mhz or some other stupid number that your 3D engine cannot use. You need to set your screen refresh rate using a custom resolution in nvidia control panel. If you set it to 60.001mhz it should then work as long as your turn off your AA.

torpedobait
02-15-10, 09:34 PM
I was successful in loading the original and patch 1.04b to a non-Program Files folder, and applied the file changes for the no-DVD fix, but could not get the latter to work. I checked file sizes, etc. to be sure the copy to the base directory was successful, but after a reboot it would not start without the DVD check.

So, I gave up and went to the link provided earlier by Capt. Lehman from Subsim.com to Amazon.com and bought the later version. I also bought SH4, knowing there are issues with it, but what the heck, I have to give it a go and learn for myself.

Hopefully the new SHIII disk will at least eliminate the one problem. I'll post when I have a chance to try it.:salute:

torpedobait
02-17-10, 08:39 AM
I've posted this to another thread on this same subject, but in case you don't see it, here is a solution that worked for me:

1. I went through the Subsim.com link to Amazon.com and bought the pre-patched, no-DVD required version of SHIII for $9.95. I even got free shipping by signing up for a 30-day free trial of the Amazon priorty scheme (which I intend to cancel today). I did pay an extra $3.95 for next-day delivery, which happened as promised.

2. I had one small problem when installing from the new DVD - WIN 7 would not recognize the directory name I wanted to use: C:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter III\ giving me a message that the directory was invalid or unavailable because it was locked. After fighting that for an hour or so, I tried this one: "C:\Games\Silent_Hunter3\", and the load prceeded flawlessly!

3. After verifying the version was indeed 1.4 and that no DVD was required to actually start the Sim, I applied the GWX3 Gold mod, put the JSGME where it belonged, applied the .cfg changes to SH3 Commander, and (Hooray!), everything now works perfectly!

I must say my new machine is a killer (Falcon NW Mach V as of 1/2010). It allows me to run in compressed time mode at 4096 without a hitch, loads missions in seconds instead of minutes (a solid state hard drive doesn't hurt, nor does the I7 Extreme 95 Dual Core CPU), and I experience no delays while the harbor and surroundings load at the start of a mission. Searchlights at night no longer lock up the Sim or send me back to desktop.

The only thing missing are two mods I used to enjoy that I can no longer find anywhere - one applies colors to the ships on the map to distinguish friend from foe, and the other is an enhanced damage mod that creates large holes from torpedo impacts or gunnery hits. If anyone knows where to find them I'd be greatful!

Sorry about the bragging on the machine!

:sunny::D:sunny:

torpedobait
02-18-10, 07:56 AM
I found the mods I was looking for by searching the forum, like I should have in the first place! :oops::oops::oops:

KL-alfman
02-18-10, 08:17 AM
glad, you got it sorted!
good modding and good hunting :salute:

Nordmann
02-21-10, 05:37 PM
After attempting to get my original working, I went ahead and bought myself a new copy from here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0035ER6F0/ref=ox_ya_oh_product). It should be compatible with Vista, come patched up to 1.4b, run without a disc, and hopefully doesn't include the dreaded StarForce. At £2.99 you can't really argue, as long as it works!

If anyone else has bought this particular version, please give me a shout so my mind will be at ease. Damn StarForce, and damn Ubi for allowing them to sully such a magnificent game with their virus of a program.

Ultrafox
04-30-10, 04:46 PM
Hi i have problems with my Win 7 wich says after starting: This application can be launched with a release version of win98 2000etc etc XP only"

Aside of the common things that I shoud do (installing outside PF etc) I have followed the common instructions like I did on another PC with Vista; where the game was running well with GWX gold. So I know how to do it. But Now ive bought other pc with Win 7 and I get always the same dumb message. Starforce even cant installed on this PC maybe cuz its crap.

I followed the instructions considering changing compatibility of the exe file.

But I stil get the same fkn message if i want to run the game .

In fact I ve tried all modes and nothing works. I dont have starforce on ny PC installed and i use original disc of SH3

So i like the nodisc option. But where can I find those files:>NO DVD rld-sh14.rar. Can some one give me a link??:06:

torpedobait
05-02-10, 02:21 PM
Hi i have problems with my Win 7 wich says after starting: This application can be launched with a release version of win98 2000etc etc XP only"

Aside of the common things that I shoud do (installing outside PF etc) I have followed the common instructions like I did on another PC with Vista; where the game was running well with GWX gold. So I know how to do it. But Now ive bought other pc with Win 7 and I get always the same dumb message. Starforce even cant installed on this PC maybe cuz its crap.

I followed the instructions considering changing compatibility of the exe file.

But I stil get the same fkn message if i want to run the game .

In fact I ve tried all modes and nothing works. I dont have starforce on ny PC installed and i use original disc of SH3

So i like the nodisc option. But where can I find those files:>NO DVD rld-sh14.rar. Can some one give me a link??:06:

Ultrafox, believe me I know how frustrating this can be. :damn: Please see the solution above from Nordmann and my own post at the top of the page. We got it to work with no problems (that I know of) on Win 7 machines. You need a version of the sim that is already patched to v1.4 and does not require the DVD and does not have Starforce loaded. I bought mine through a Subsim.com link to Amazon.com for a grand total of about $14, including overnight shipping in the USA. I'm guessing Nordmann got a similar deal in the UK.
Just uninstall SHIII, mods and all, and reverse any changes you made to your system to try to get around Starforce, etc. The already properly updated SHIII will load to your Win 7 machine from the new disc, and SHIII will now start and run without the DVD inserted - at least mine does. I then applied the GWX-3 expansion, and assorted compatible mods. I'm back to fully enjoying SHIII just like I did before my XP machine crashed and I lost everything.

Don't give up - if you can't go through an obstacle, find a way around it like we did! Good luck to you, and let us know if you were successful. :salute: Good Hunting!

Thedarkling
07-06-10, 01:40 AM
done all the stuff mentioned here and there this SH3 is gone to the wind its finally sunk by the HMAS Adelaide, looks like its SH5 then...

like 30 mins l8er, No to SH5, there all sunk, no Uboats

HKLE
07-12-10, 10:29 AM
The cannot initialize 3D engine is most likely caused by your screen refresh rate being 59Mhz or some other stupid number that your 3D engine cannot use. You need to set your screen refresh rate using a custom resolution in nvidia control panel. If you set it to 60.001mhz it should then work as long as your turn off your AA.

I followed this type of discussion in the past, because I had such an issue once - and now again while running Win 7.

In my experience, it is a simple graphics driver problem - as someone above already stated. Going back to stock Win 7 driver did the trick for me. (I have a Nvidia card).

The 59 Hz monitor problem seems to be only a WIN 7 artifact without any physical influence. Its a calculation error in Windows, not a real effect. If you try to correct the monitor settings to 60 Hz, it falls back on the 59 Hz immediately.

Mokumanamana
06-27-12, 11:42 PM

1. Uninstall SH3
2. Run SFRemove
3. Reboot

Hope this helped.

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you, dude! Thanks!

I have owned this DVD game for 3 yrs now and thanks to your easy step by step process I can play SH3 for the first time! I wanted to register just to send my aloha and say mahalo for taking the time and helping those like myself who need that extra detail with things like this (navigating computers). The only thing I would add is that to be absolutely sure to Run As Admin on step 7. Thats what made me fail the 1st time I tried this. The second time I ran the patch "Run As Administer" and it took!
Mahalo, Bra!

P.s. Now that I'm here, maybe i can stay awhile and get to know some of the members here.

StarLion45
07-02-12, 06:30 AM
that's good :D
welcome to subsim .
SINK THEM :arrgh!:

Herr-Berbunch
07-02-12, 07:16 AM
Don't forget folks, if you have UAC enabled (recommended unless you are strict on your AV/Malware solutions) then you should install in a location other than Program Files (x86).

Welcome aboard, guys :salute:

AriesRCN
11-22-12, 04:25 PM
I followed the instrucitons and found it works just fine. I used the IS dvd patch instead of EU. So far no problems

Vermin
02-07-13, 09:19 AM
Hallelujah! Thanks folks - I was going nuts trying to fix this issue (having only just moved into the Year of the Fruitbat from my ancient XP box). Now I can swim with the fishes again! :yeah:

SNAKE1937
02-08-13, 11:37 AM
What screen resolution are you using( assume you are all with Win 7 64bit)

Thanks

Vermin
02-09-13, 12:18 AM
me?

My desktop is 1920 x 1080
The game is running in default res but I am using GWX3 which IIRC (unlikely) includes the 13XX x 768 res fix. I also got it to run without GWX but I am only just looking closely now to see whether it is stretched - doesn't look it but I am as blind as a bat!

It runs full screen and there are no black bars in any GUI it must bi in WS?

Edit: I am as blind as a bat. Just installed the WS patch for GWX!

Win7 64
AMD64x2
Abit AN52 MB
4G RAM
XFX HD5450 512MB

SNAKE1937
02-13-13, 09:34 AM
I just went through this advice and all is good so far ( 1/2 way through mission #3 )

No doubt bits and pieces need to be added and/or tossed as redundant buy those of you GURU's.

I am now trying to find out what level of GWX I have and how to add the
JSGME ( or how ever that is spelled ) along with the 16Km and othe cool stuff.

Right now I have a convoy to work on. Talk later!:subsim:

gut eater
04-09-13, 09:17 PM
Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you, dude! Thanks!

I have owned this DVD game for 3 yrs now and thanks to your easy step by step process I can play SH3 for the first time! I wanted to register just to send my aloha and say mahalo for taking the time and helping those like myself who need that extra detail with things like this (navigating computers). The only thing I would add is that to be absolutely sure to Run As Admin on step 7. Thats what made me fail the 1st time I tried this. The second time I ran the patch "Run As Administer" and it took!
Mahalo, Bra!

P.s. Now that I'm here, maybe i can stay awhile and get to know some of the members here.

THIS worked for me perfectly, thank you. I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and was extremely frustrated with this not initially working. Now how do I get the game to run at a higher res than 1024 x 768? I would like to be able to get it up to 1680 x 1050...

Ham920
03-15-14, 05:15 PM
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU to Blizkrieg4590 and StarLion45!!!
I bought a new Dell Alienware PC with Windows 7 and wanted to transfer SH3 over to the new system, but no matter what I did I kept getting a Protection Error. This went on for days until I finally read your postings on Windows 7 for SH3. I tried Blizkrieg4590's method and then I read StarLions. I loaded SH3 on to the C drive rather than the Programs (x86) drive and followed Blizkrieg4590's instructions. The game has never run better. THANK YOU BOTH!