PDA

View Full Version : Is there a quick way to return to home port?

jerm138
01-16-10, 06:33 PM
In SH3, you could hit the ESC key and have the option to return to home port.

Is there any way to do this in SH4? Transiting sucks... I don't want to spend an hour or two real-time doing the "dive-to-PD-because-an-airplane-is-coming" dance just to end the patrol.

Also, is there a way to quickly transit to your patrol area for the same reasons mentioned above?

ETR3(SS)
01-16-10, 06:38 PM
Short answer, no. Which kinda sucks when you're out of fuel or your engines are broke.

SteamWake
01-16-10, 06:51 PM
long answer is no..

only high time compression

that is if you have fuel left ;)

WarlordATF
01-16-10, 06:59 PM
I have not tried this and it looks rather complex, but maybe it will help.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158704

jerm138
01-16-10, 08:04 PM
I have not tried this and it looks rather complex, but maybe it will help.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=158704

For anyone reading this... I DO NOT recommend doing this! I exited the game, backed up the files mentioned in that thread, made the applicable changes, loaded the game. When I was on the "Find em, chase em, sink em" screen, I got a crash-to-desktop.

I restored the original files I backed up, and now I STILL get CTD whenever I try to load a save from that career. I'm pretty sure I just totally screwed that whole career up. :damn:

jerm138
01-16-10, 08:17 PM
Can somebody look at these game files and verify the correctness of them? The parts I had changed are in red. These are from the original files I backed up and restored, but somehow I'm getting CTD now.

Thank you!

From the file: /data/campaigns/campaign/US_NavalBases.mis

Name=Pearl Harbor
Class=NavalBase
Type=407
Origin=American
Side=0
Commander=0
CargoExt=-1
CargoInt=-1
CfgDate=19380101
DeleteOnLastWaypoint=false
DockedShip=false
GameEntryDate=19380101
GameEntryTime=0
GameExitDate=19451231
GameExitTime=0
EvolveFromEntryDate=false
Long=-18954996.000000
Lat=2561680.000000And from the file: data/UPCdata/UPCCampaignData/Flotillas.upc

[Flotilla 1.Base 1]
ID= PearlHarbor
NameDisplayable= Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
Info= Pearl-Base-Info
ExternalBaseName=Pearl Harbor
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, 1942-07-14
DepartureDescription1= -18954703, 2562919, 45.918098 ; Enum of available points, choose one randomly each time a patrol is started
DepartureDescription2= -18954874, 2563059, 46.252201
DepartureDescriptionOut1= -18957616, 2548824, 242.189346 ; Enum of starting points for when the player selects the option to start outside the base

jerm138
01-16-10, 08:45 PM
Update:

I don't think the problem is either of the above two files. I'm thinking it might be something to do with the temp files in my My Documents/SH4 folder.

The following files were modified at the time I got the crash:

progress.cfg
playersettings.cfg
save.tmp
ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc
CareerTrack.upc
GameplaySettings.cfg
UserPlayerSettings.upc

Does anyone know what gets changed in these files every time you load the game? If so, that could help me narrow it down.

This is really frustrating... I was headed home from my second patrol after sinking 23,000 tons, including one that I took out with the deck gun because I was out of torpedoes. This was also the 2nd time I did this patrol because of other game-save problems I've been having.

I guess that's my punishment for trying to take a shortcut.:nope:

Ships-R-Us
01-16-10, 09:25 PM
Easiest way I found was, only works if you are in the So. Atlantic, and your home port is is the Pacific.....1. descend to 104'......2. proceed on course 263degrees @ astern 3kts.....3. when you get into warp zone, it is very narrow and difficult to penetrate........4. open capt's log and send status report......4. fire 4 fwd torpedos simultaneously......and VOILA you are home. Not recommended for beginners as there is a chance you may blow a hole in the universe causing your sub to be high and dry as the water flows into adjacent universe filled with SH5 Gamers.....Ships

WarlordATF
01-16-10, 09:44 PM
Really sorry i even mentioned it, i just saw that post and when you asked it reminded me of it. Sorry again.

jerm138
01-16-10, 11:51 PM
Easiest way I found was, only works if you are in the So. Atlantic, and your home port is is the Pacific.....1. descend to 104'......2. proceed on course 263degrees @ astern 3kts.....3. when you get into warp zone, it is very narrow and difficult to penetrate........4. open capt's log and send status report......4. fire 4 fwd torpedos simultaneously......and VOILA you are home. Not recommended for beginners as there is a chance you may blow a hole in the universe causing your sub to be high and dry as the water flows into adjacent universe filled with SH5 Gamers.....ShipsWill this work with TMO 1.9? :88)

Really sorry i even mentioned it, i just saw that post and when you asked it reminded me of it. Sorry again. No worries at all! I know you were just trying to help.
It was only my 2nd patrol. I had a good run there at the end... 6 merchant kills in one calendar day (not a convoy, either)! I was tracking and shooting at them as fast as my torpedomen could load the tubes.

Anyway, I started a new career. Got a new boat (USS Swordfish) and made Manila my homeport so that I'll be able to start closer to the action.

This will be the 3rd career I've started. On the first two, I allowed myself to restore game-saves to retry shots when I missed. This will be the first time I won't allow myself to do that. If I miss, I miss... there's no going back. :arrgh!:

I've already got my first kill; a 4,000-ton merchant. The first fish was a perfect hit into the boilers. Blew the ship in two. The next two were already on their way but turned out to be duds... Glad I got rid of them there instead of carrying around bad torpedoes :yeah:

Don't worry at all about the link, though. I'm still having fun. Plus it motivated me to start the "no going back" career.
I did go to that thread and put a warning on there for others.

WarlordATF
01-16-10, 11:58 PM
Sadly as i have built my version i have destroyed so many saves its not funny. This is the first time i think i might actually finish the war, because i am trying not to change anything else.

I'm goin' down
01-19-10, 01:37 AM
when heading to base at the end of mission, set speed to autopilot and do not use time compression. Get your lady friend, take her to the deck, dress her up in a hula skirt, put on your dress whites and medals, get a couple of lounge chairs, some whiskey, throw a fishing line over the side, have your crew serve fish and chips with a blue cheese dip, and cruise to base. It is a lot more fun that staring at a screen watching a small circle slowly transverse the Pacific. You might even see some Maneaters, and if you do, the hula skirt (with girl inside) will end up on your lap, making for a cozy cruise. (Cross refer to thread re Great White Shark mod.)

Armistead
01-19-10, 09:11 AM
You guys are cruel.