PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Transparent Deck Crew

ME$$ENGER
01-15-10, 07:50 PM
Hi all. I've been playing SH3 for the past few years and recently transitioned to SH4. Everything works quite well except this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/ME$$ENGER/batman.jpg

It's not very noticeable in broad daylight but at night or when there's fog my deck watch look like lucha libre wrestlers :damn: Anyone know a way to fix it?

---------------------------
Game Mods: SH4 1.5, RFB2.0 + Patch, RSRDC 575 + Patch, Music Fix, Webster's Missing Voices, 1940 Music

In game graphics settings: All max. Tried with all sliders low. Didn't work.

GFX Card: Nvidia 9800M GTS (it's a laptop card)

Driver: tried both 195.62 (official nvidia one) and 186.42 (supplied by toshiba). Both of them have this issue.

Control panel settings: pretty much everything is left to off or application controlled. No AA or AF. I also tried the nvidia tweak guide stickied here. Nothing :(.

I'm going to try reinstalling SH4 and see if it works.

Armistead
01-15-10, 07:54 PM
Try cutting enviromental effects off in graphic settings, that should clear the fog look out, but I've still never seen it do that around the eyes.

ME$$ENGER
01-15-10, 08:00 PM
Ah, cutting environmental effects work wonder! No more batman for crew :D Thanks a bunch.

It's a small price to pay for having a proper looking OOD but just wondering, what do I miss for disabling it?

Armistead
01-15-10, 08:07 PM
Nothing really, I think just the way it renders fog as it overlaps. Not sure what all it doe's...should say as you hold over it, but I notice no difference with it on or off either way. It doesn't effect the fog levels overall, so fog still works fine, just doesn't overlap solid items. I finally found the right settings to deal with it with my video card...but alas my game rig is fubar right now

ME$$ENGER
01-15-10, 08:46 PM
The description in the menu says something about cloud shadows, but after half an hour of looking around I can't tell there's anything missing either. Only thing that's missing is the glitch :rock:.

Jten
01-16-10, 12:06 AM
I have the same problem but i leave it on. Your sighting range is lessened in fog and I like having it on so i know when my crew is near-sighted.

The look is because eyeballs are modeled seperately in a 3d person. That way they can shift independently of the head (the famous 'eyeballing' look from your dive officer) and the enviro effect is being applied over your crew (locked to the horizon line) rather than behind them and since their eyeballs are a child of the body model they are not being 'fogged' by the effect. I'm not sure how the sim handles depth but if the enviro effects could be z-buffered behind the sail then your crew wouldn't be disappearing into the fog at three feet distance.

conus00
01-16-10, 12:15 AM
I'd say it is the American-side version of Bernard. Let's just call him "Bernardo". :D
I'm kinda surprised that Dowly's Bernard does not have an equivalent on the Fleet boats, yet. :hmmm:

Sailor Steve
01-16-10, 01:44 AM
Oh, there was a big tussle over that when SH4 was new. Some wanted Dinsdale, who was veddy British. Others, myself included, voted for McHale's Ensign Parker. There were some other good suggestions, but none of them ever caught on.

So, we still have only ourselves to blame. Lucky Germans.