PDA

View Full Version : Textures falling off, ATI 5850

gamingdave
01-15-10, 07:43 AM
Got a new PC recently, and when trying out SHIV I noticed something more than a little strange.

I did the torpedo training mission (I was simply having a quick check of the grpahics capability), and as soon as my first torpedo hit the destroyer (or whatever it is, cant remember) all it textures fell off. It was on fire, but it essentially was just a skeleton frame.

I am running SHIV with the uboats expansion, but no mods. My system is an i5 processor, 4GB memory, an ATI 5850 with latest drivers, and windows 7. The machine is more than powerfull enough, but obviously this is more than a bit of a problem.

Had a good look with the search but not managed to find anything. Has anyone seen this bug before? Is there a fix?

I will try and get a screenshot at some point, but busy all weekend, so will have to be next week.

Andrew82
01-15-10, 08:55 AM
Got a new PC recently, and when trying out SHIV I noticed something more than a little strange.

I did the torpedo training mission (I was simply having a quick check of the grpahics capability), and as soon as my first torpedo hit the destroyer (or whatever it is, cant remember) all it textures fell off. It was on fire, but it essentially was just a skeleton frame.

I am running SHIV with the uboats expansion, but no mods. My system is an i5 processor, 4GB memory, an ATI 5850 with latest drivers, and windows 7. The machine is more than powerfull enough, but obviously this is more than a bit of a problem.

Had a good look with the search but not managed to find anything. Has anyone seen this bug before? Is there a fix?

I will try and get a screenshot at some point, but busy all weekend, so will have to be next week.

Had the same problem recently, check this http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128517 and try tweaking your video-card settings.:yeah:

gamingdave
01-15-10, 11:05 AM
Thanks Andrew, I will have a read through, though it seems to be about Nvidia cards, and mine is an ATI

Andrew82
01-15-10, 11:16 AM
Thanks Andrew, I will have a read through, though it seems to be about Nvidia cards, and mine is an ATI

I guess if you use nHancer the options will be generally be the same, but I'm no expert so maybe someone else has the solution to your question.

If I recall correctly, the problems with my video-card were the settings for AA and supersampling, I turned them down a bit and the graphics were back to normal. But my card is a Nvidia and not powerful enough too run SHIV smoothly with highest settings.

Webster
01-15-10, 03:36 PM
first i believe thats a DX11 card so make sure you also have DX9 plus the extra DX9 stuff from the dvd when you installed the game

you never mentioned your power supply brand or size and if its a prebuilt dell HP or whatever

i ask mainly because prebuilts or cases you buy that come with power supplies already installed are notorious for having weak cheap no-name power supplies that are "good enough" for the average computer but dont have the proper amps output for running good video cards that need a lot of power

your power supply may be working but not putting out enough amps to supply the card the full power it needs

bybyx
01-16-10, 02:43 AM

Hi gamingdave
You Pc is powerful, but I think the problem could be Win7 and the drivers. Try an older driver and see how it goes. My advice for you is to install both Win Xp and Win 7. I have at home installed WinXp PRO 32bits for compatibility with everything and Win7 mostly for...I really don't know, I guess just to see how it is. I play SH3 and SH4 in WinXP to be safe. never had any problems. I have I ATI 3850.

cdrsubron7
01-18-10, 12:41 PM
I'm glad I came across this thread as I had the very same problem after I installed my HD 5870 yesterday. I kinda suspected it might have something to do with the AA as I had it set at 8x. I've since turned it down to 4x but have not had a chance to confirm that was the problem. Below is a screenie of what happeded after my torpedoes hit.

http://i47.tinypic.com/jzzhy.jpg

cdrsubron7
01-21-10, 12:02 PM
I thought I'd post back that I found a cure (at least in my situation) for this problem of the ships loosing their skins when struck by a shell or torpedo. All I really did was uninstall and then reinstall my ATI graphic drivers. I'm currently using the 9.12 Catalyst drivers so I just uninstalled and reinstalled and that seems to have solved my problem. Played for a good 3 hours last night and had no reoccurances of ships loosing their skins. :D

Andrew82
01-21-10, 01:11 PM
I thought I'd post back that I found a cure (at least in my situation) for this problem of the ships loosing their skins when struck by a shell or torpedo. All I really did was uninstall and then reinstall my ATI graphic drivers. I'm currently using the 9.12 Catalyst drivers so I just uninstalled and reinstalled and that seems to have solved my problem. Played for a good 3 hours last night and had no reoccurances of ships loosing their skins. :D

Glad that worked out for you! :up::rock:

gamingdave
01-27-10, 12:46 PM
Thanks for that cdrsubron7 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=210018).

I have been really busy recently and simply not had the time to do any other testing, but will try a driver cleanup. Also using the PC as an HTPC though, and jsut about got everything perfect with all the right filters for video, so a bit worried about changing anything.

To answer an earlier question, my power supply is more than capable, with room for me to add another card in crossfire, and several more HDs if required. Its a custom build PC, with very balanced components, so that shouldnt be the problem.

vickers03
01-27-10, 12:58 PM
@cdrsubron7
did you install the cd that came with the graphics card
or is it enough to download the cat 9.12 to get rid of
this texture problem?

vickers03
01-28-10, 03:08 PM
@cdrsubron7
do you still have AA applied?