PDA

View Full Version : Clearly the most disturbing time ever to be a Subsim member

skookum
01-14-10, 09:45 AM
I can't remember a time where more people complained, moaned and otherwise posted such negative sentiment about any subject in these forums. C'mon guys! It's a game. A hobby. Games and hobbies are supposed to be fun. Otherwise we find other games to play and other hobbies to pursue.

Silent hunter 5 is almost here! It's going to rule. It's going to be cuckoo bananas! YAY! :yeah::rock::arrgh!:

danlisa
01-14-10, 09:52 AM
I can remember the last time it was all doom and gloom.....the release of SH4, before that it was SH3........(can you see the pattern).

For the long term members here, it's actually quite funny seeing the same cycle every time a SH title is in development.

Hitman
01-14-10, 09:56 AM
LOL the worst time I ever was in fact after the release of SH2 :haha:

For all those complaining and bitching around, they should get in march 2010 Sh2 as it was "outtadabox" and we would have a good laugh seeing them crying for a bugged Sh5 :arrgh!:

Uber Gruber
01-14-10, 10:07 AM
For the long term members here, it's actually quite funny seeing the same cycle every time a SH title is in development.

Its hilarious...i'm having a whale of a time :yep:

TDK1044
01-14-10, 10:08 AM
Yep. It's like Groundhog day. :)

tomoose
01-14-10, 10:08 AM
danlisa;
right on the money, LOL.:yeah:

Webster
01-14-10, 11:55 AM
I can remember the last time it was all doom and gloom.....the release of SH4, before that it was SH3........(can you see the pattern).

and lets not forget the talk of a class action lawsuit against ubisoft because sh4 was full of bugs :har:

GoldenRivet
01-14-10, 12:27 PM
ACTUALLY

the most disturbing time ever to be a subsim member is during

1. A power outage that leaves you without internet connection

2. A server Fire which leaves you without connectivity to Subsim.com

3. A motherboard melt down which results in no computer to connect to the internet with

Uber Gruber
01-14-10, 12:33 PM
While we're at it, lets mention the "Mod Wars" and the "Right, that's it, i'm leaving" statements and "hey, you stole my apple image" and and and.....sigh, so many happy memories. :salute:

TDK1044
01-14-10, 12:42 PM
Hey...where's Gizzmoe? If we really want to relive SHIII then Gizz is a must!!!! :DL

Onkel Neal
01-14-10, 01:24 PM
:haha: Great times in Subsim history :shucks:

Shock and awe that comes from being bumped into a new forum (http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_2002/viewtopic.php?topic=52&forum=1&6)

SH2: What have I done to deserve this?? (http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_2002/viewtopic.php?topic=303&forum=1&2) (Note: Rommel McDonald was the SH2 Assoc. Producer :doh:)

More SH2 woes: the agnst! (http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_2002/viewtopic.php?topic=206&forum=1&24)

The first SH2 interview, (http://www.subsim.com/ssr/sh2/sh2inview1.html) where I get tricky and try for a clever play on words, "Innerview"...first major FAIL. :88)

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/sh2/prev12.jpg

The SH2 beta preview; (http://www.subsim.com/ssr/sh2/sh2_preview.html) note, the game was very close to being cancelled at this point. VERY close, and with it, the Silent Hunter franchise would have gone the way of Duke Nukem... Haha, at the time (early 2002) this was considered a major step forward inself: "SH2 is a Windows stable product and that means no more boot disks or archaic DOS configurations".

The beginning of SH3 madness (http://www.subsim.com/ssr/sh3_1104/review_sh3_aug04.htm):) This piece was written by Drebbel in Germany at a games show: "Tiberius surfaced close to a convoy and and panned around, showing the convoy from the bridge point of view. Seeing the convoy on the horizon and the lookouts on the U-boat bridge was a very impressive and immersive sight. It created a great atmosphere and I immediately got the feeling of 'being there'. "

Hope you enjoy these tidbits :salute:

TDK1044
01-14-10, 01:30 PM
Man, what a trip down memory lane. :DL

Jimbuna
01-14-10, 02:00 PM
Yep. It's like Groundhog day. :)

http://www.zwani.com/graphics/groundhog_day/images/4happy_groundhog_day_1.gif http://www.orkut-scrapping.com/img/Groundhog-Day/5happy_groundhogs_day_camo.gif

Hitman
01-14-10, 03:32 PM
Now, look at this: A dissatisfied SH2 customer starts to scratch his head on how to build in a semi-dynamic campaign in Silent Hunter 2 :haha:: http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_2002/viewtopic.php?topic=5629&forum=1

... and nearly succeeding: http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_2002/viewtopic.php?topic=6139&forum=1 :har:

LOL, when I hear now people bitching about what Sh5 will or will not have, it almost makes me cry :rotfl2:

Takeda Shingen
01-14-10, 05:11 PM

Agreed. This happens every two years or so. Old hat.

Steeltrap
01-14-10, 08:16 PM
SH2 is what caused me to wait about a year or more to buy SH3. I got it for about AUS$30 and the mods were already around.

Then I bought SH4 when it came out.

:wah:

I imagine I'll wait some time before getting SH5.

Something the 'modern' game development philosophy teaches a consumer is "you're a mug if you pay full price for a game that will doubtless take 6 months to make stable/acceptable, at which point it will cost you 50% less".

The abortionate Empire Total War is a classic example.

Oh well.

SteamWake
01-14-10, 09:57 PM
I dont know about 'most disturbing of times' as others have said "seen it all before".

But hey, its a little bit of excitement.

Personally I've been amused by the SH5 section for quite a while now. :salute:

Ducimus
01-14-10, 10:43 PM
ACTUALLY

the most disturbing time ever to be a subsim member is during

1. A power outage that leaves you without internet connection

2. A server Fire which leaves you without connectivity to Subsim.com

3. A motherboard melt down which results in no computer to connect to the internet with

I garuntee you, this: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/images/ranks/keelhauled.jpg will break any addiction of subsim.com. Also tends to leave you uncaring about things you used to care about.

While we're at it, lets mention the "Mod Wars" and the "Right, that's it, i'm leaving" statements and "hey, you stole my apple image" and and and.....sigh, so many happy memories. :salute:

Things like this. Drama is par for the course here. It's funny though, that mod war drove a wedge and forged dividing lines that persist to this day. Although, i could be wrong, i faintly sense the ice melting from that "cold war", but i think that's just wishful thinking. The real kick in the pants will be seeing what happens once the dust starts to settle from SH5's release. It's my intention to be an observer on the side lines this time, kinda like how one would slow down and rubberneck for a real bad 10 car pileup on the freeway. :O: Won't be involved, will definatly be looking, but ultimatly will be just passing through. :88)

Ships-R-Us
01-14-10, 11:01 PM
I have followed some of Ducimus' posts this evening and find them unsettling, and with cause. I fear we may lose one of our most helpful artists and genius. Godspeed to you and yours, Ducimus

Tarnsman
01-14-10, 11:15 PM
Now I am reminded where the SH4 interface came from SH2.

Ducimus
01-14-10, 11:27 PM
Don't worry Shipsrus, there are far more talented modders then I floating about. Not to mention any up and coming's that have yet to be seen. You'll see em coming out of the wood works once SH5 is released.

Sailor Steve
01-14-10, 11:32 PM
Ducimus is right again. After SH2 I was disappointed that only a couple of the bright lights who did so much great modding for that game were still around for SH3. And when SH4 came along there were still more new talents taking up the task.

SH5? Who knows what new name we'll be praising two years from now.

As for Ducimus, well, all I can say is...

"There she was, just a walkin' down the street, singin'..."

Tarnsman
01-14-10, 11:40 PM
Past is Prologue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EM4EN5OlxQ

It will all be OK by 2012

Onkel Neal
01-15-10, 12:27 AM
I garuntee you, this: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/images/ranks/keelhauled.jpg will break any addiction of subsim.com. Also tends to leave you uncaring about things you used to care about.

Things like this. Drama is par for the course here. It's funny though, that mod war drove a wedge and forged dividing lines that persist to this day. Although, i could be wrong, i faintly sense the ice melting from that "cold war", but i think that's just wishful thinking.

The ice would melt a lot faster if you would just leave it alone. :) Thishttp://www.subsim.com/radioroom/images/ranks/keelhauled.jpg only occurs after a lot of effort.

Méo
01-15-10, 12:52 AM
Thishttp://www.subsim.com/radioroom/images/ranks/keelhauled.jpg only occurs after a lot of effort.

Very true, just have to read the last one just before christmas...

I think some are just making fun in testing your limits.

karamazovnew
01-15-10, 01:23 AM
I remember that period, I actually thought the zombie thing was a custom avatar and I was thinking "Hey, Ducimus has a really cool avatar!". By the time I realized what was going on the mod-war had already ended and I still don't know what it was all about... Still searching tho.

EDIT: nevermind, found it.

JScones
01-15-10, 02:02 AM
And don't forget the "SH4 is way better than SH3" and "No, SH3 is way better than SH4" threads. Pure joy.

Ah, the memories...

I wonder how long it will be before we get a "Deck gun rate of fire" thread. :hmmm: You haven't witnessed Subsim at its best unless you experience first hand a deck gun rate of fire thread. :up:

Admittedly though, the competition did lead to some great findings that led to SH3 being pushed well beyond the limits that anyone thought possible. And it was great to always see an inbox full of Neal's PMs. :up:

and lets not forget the talk of a class action lawsuit against ubisoft because sh4 was full of bugs :har:
There's really nothing that can top that, is there? :hmmm::har:

Not to mention any up and coming's that have yet to be seen. You'll see em coming out of the wood works once SH5 is released.
Looking forward to it. :up:

sergei
01-15-10, 03:42 AM
I wonder how long it will be before we get a "Deck gun rate of fire" thread. :hmmm: You haven't witnessed Subsim at its best unless you experience first hand a deck gun rate of fire thread. :up:

Seconded that. I remember when I was still a lurker starting to read a post about something seemingly unrelated, that degenerated into an argument about the deck gun that went on for about 15 pages.
As I was totally uninvolved it was a very entertaining thread.
Man, people get passionate about the deck gun eh?
Like you said, looking forward to the first deck gun ROF thread for SH5. Maybe we should give out a prize to the first person who turns up to complain about it?

Uber Gruber
01-15-10, 07:26 AM

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

My all time favourite without a shadow of a doubt :yeah:

Oh and FIFTEEN SECONDS!:arrgh!:

Sailor Steve
01-15-10, 11:19 AM
And don't forget the "SH4 is way better than SH3" and "No, SH3 is way better than SH4" threads. Pure joy.

Ah, the memories...
Memories? That one's still going on as we type.

Oh, yeah. It starts with a complaint that "all the books say..." and gets into a learned discussion/tirade/attack, and six pages later somebody who's read something somewhere says "Well, if you'd read all the books you'd know the truth..." and it starts all over again.

No wonder poor Beery comes around so rarely.

There's really nothing that can top that, is there? :hmmm::har:
I'm sure we'll come up with something.

FOUR SECONDS, stupid! If you'd just read any of the books...
:rotfl2:

Sorry, couldn't resist.:oops:

mookiemookie
01-15-10, 11:21 AM

Ahhhhahahahahaha I love those threads! :yeah:

Onkel Neal
01-15-10, 11:54 AM
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

My all time favourite without a shadow of a doubt :yeah:

No kidding. That's what I find most amusing about these runups to a new subsim--the rampant, passionate, frenzied discussions about feature xxxx. :haha: I guess that is part of what makes the runup fun.

My god, just peruse the archives for "dynamic campaign", DD torpedo attacks, "cherry picking", swinging sausages, etc. People get soooo emotional about these things and then years later, can't remember what they are. Some people are ready to boycott, petition, tear each other apart... over a game :)

Uber Gruber
01-15-10, 12:47 PM
FOUR SECONDS, stupid! If you'd just read any of the books...
:rotfl2:

Oh I leave Beery to do all the book reading ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.:oops:
Apology accepted :har:

Imagine how skinny these forums would be without the rants....content is content and there's no such thing as bad PR :arrgh!:

Deimos01
01-15-10, 02:46 PM
I can't remember a time where more people complained, moaned and otherwise posted such negative sentiment about any subject in these forums. C'mon guys! It's a game. A hobby. Games and hobbies are supposed to be fun. Otherwise we find other games to play and other hobbies to pursue.

Silent hunter 5 is almost here! It's going to rule. It's going to be cuckoo bananas! YAY! :yeah::rock::arrgh!:

Meh, same clowns different circus. :woot: For those of us that have been around since the SH2 days this is just like the annoying alarm that starts a new day.

BTW, been gone a while but its good to see some of the old Skippers are still sea worthy. :rock:

Ducimus
01-15-10, 03:13 PM
The ice would melt a lot faster if you would just leave it alone. :)

Oh i do for the most part. For the most part being not all the time. If my contempt and hatred for one individual wasn't very genuine, i'd probably never mention it again, not even in passing. The rest i really have no beef with at all even though they may think otherwise.

Onkel Neal
01-15-10, 03:15 PM
Oh i do for the most part. For the most part being not all the time. If my contempt and hatred for one individual wasn't very genuine, i'd probably never mention it again, not even in passing. The rest i really have no beef with at all even though they may think otherwise.

I understand, and at the risk of hijacking this otherwise brilliant thread, I want you to know, it's worth the effort to forgive and forget, mate. It truly is. :yep:

AVGWarhawk
01-15-10, 03:21 PM

It was not 'MOD WARS'...it was 'competition.' I was always told that competition is good. If that is the case then the mod competition was just out of this world! :D

Let's face it, ingrained into our very fiber is the idea that the next addition will be loaded with bugs, inconsistency, lack of forethought and will definitely get your family pet pregnant. How did we get this way....read the thread! Even so, SH5 will be a great simulation. Everyone, just wait and see! :03:

geetrue
01-15-10, 03:31 PM
Just something about submarines and subsims that brings the best and the worst out of people ... :hmmm:

Lets see now that would include the Germans, the British, the Russians, the Japanese and the Americans wouldn't it :arrgh!: