PDA

View Full Version : Have I made a huge mistake?!

latearrival
01-12-10, 06:20 AM
Hello.

I'm very new to this genre (about 10 hours with SH4!) and I wonder if anyone has an opinion or can help...

I just purchased SH4 (v1.3) from Steam, played for a few hours, and then went back to Steam and bought the U-Boat Missions, which seemed the easiest way to get to v1.5 (I wanted a read-out of my hull integrity, which didn't seem to exist on 1.3).

In my very limited experience, v1.3 seemed very stable, however v1.5 has been shocking. In the few hours hours that I've played v1.5, I've experienced:
- Crash to desktop;
- Being repeatedly told I'm passing the thermal layer when I'm cruising on the surface;
- Crew manning the conning tower when I'm submerged;
- Clouds on accelerated time, when the rest of the sim at 1x;

I'm running Windows 7 64bit. Have I made a huge mistake by getting the U-Boat Missions or is there a way I can get v1.5 working as it should?

Cheers!

(Until now I've been a flight-simmer, but sub-simming seems like it might be pretty cool!)

KlassenT
01-12-10, 07:01 AM
The only bug I'm familiar with from what you mentioned is the crew manning the deck when submerged; I think the general consensus is that this is caused by real-time corruption of the game in active memory (as opposed to a problem with the game files stored on your hard drive.) This one is usually fixed by saving and fully exiting the game, then firing SH4 back up and loading the appropriate save. The thermal layers and accelerated clouds are new to me, BUT-- I had a fair share of problems getting the Steam distribution up and running.

Hopefully you're on broadband so it's not as much of an issue, but Steam implemented the U-Boat Missions addon very poorly, and that's coming from someone who's usually in Valve's corner, but I'll include a quick checklist of how to ensure a correct install in a bit. ;)

Anyhow, the Steam updater doesn't fully understand that UBM will overwrite some of SH4's core files, and it's possible for the updater to loop back on itself. SH4 and UBM are considered seperate 'games' as far as Steam is concerned, so it's possible to have them both compete to try and keep their specific versions of files as the most recent.

I would definitely try a full system restart before trying my Steam shenanigans below, because having SH4 installed and running prior to even purchasing UBM shouldn't cause the competitive updating problem, but Valve works in mysterious ways at times.

I know it's a downloading headache, but I can verify that this trick will get things working and ensure that the most relevant files are coming downstream:

1. Delete the local content for both SH4 and UBM (From the right-click menu for each in the Steam 'My Games' list,)
2. Redownload the original SH4 completely; do not download UBM yet.
3. Right-click SH4 in 'My Games,' select 'Properties,' and then in the 'Local Files' tab, click to verify the local game cache.
4. When verification completes, head back to the Properties dialog, but this time, go the 'Updates' tab and select the option that does not automatically* update game files.
5. Redownload U-Boat. At this point, double-check to make sure that SH4 is not currently downloading any files, as this is generally where the problem would occur.
6. Once the download for UBM finishes, run a local cache verification on it with the method you used in step 3.
7. You should be ready to rock and roll-- Just remember to launch the game only using the U-Boat Missions entry in your Steam list, NOT the original SH4 entry*.

* (The reason for this is that, contrary to what you would think the program does when you disabled automatic updates in Step 4, "Automatic" in this case means it will go out and seek updates before you try and launch the game. There is currently no setting in Steam that explicitly disables updates being applied to your games, the only thing it controls is whether or not the platform will periodically check for updates on its own time, or whether it will wait until you attempt to launch the game before it checks for updates.)

---

Hopefully a restart will fix the problem so you don't have to sit through all the downloading and verifying; if you end up having to do it, I know you'll be cursing me the whole time you're waiting on it. Just remember I went through it too, so I know already know what a pain in the arse it is. :88)

Edit: Oh, and welcome aboard! I'm about as new to Subsim as you are, as you might infer from my modest post count, but I promise you'll find everything you need here! When you get some time, I also encourage reading through all the stickied posts. There's a serious wealth of information there, and a whole lot of links to follow, but the advice and tutorials have already turned me into a more seasoned skipper, so go through them at whatever pace you can, it's worth it!

Sailor Steve
01-12-10, 02:54 PM
WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

Sounds like something got corrupted. Normally the UBM makes it more stable, not less.

Then, I never buy any game as a download, at least not unless there is no other alternative.

latearrival
01-12-10, 03:44 PM
@KlassenT - thanks for going to all that trouble to share all that. I'll give the reboot another try and cross my fingers! Out of curiosity, why launch the U-Boot Missions entry from Steam? I've been doing the opposite.

@Sailor Steve - I agree that Steam games can be flakier than their physical counterparts (e.g., it's pretty poor that the Steam version of SHIV comes at v1.3, with no updates available on Steam). However, the instant downloads suit my impatient nature!

TwistedFemur
01-12-10, 03:55 PM
shudda got SH4 Gold from Amazon.com its version 1.5 plus you get a disk.:DL

KlassenT
01-12-10, 08:00 PM
As far as Steam is concerned, both vanilla SH4 and U-Boat entries in the 'My Games' list both point to the same executable-- In fact, once you've updated to 1.5, there's no way to run the game without U-Boat being integrated. The reason I recommend launching U-Boat only is that in doing so, Steam will never try and verify the v1.3 files are installed, since it is the 1.3 files that are associated with vanilla SH4. Honestly, it's probably not that crucial since they do point to the exact same executable file, but it's just a little redundant measure of caution I've always taken. I admittedly had a lot of problems getting it running properly on my end, but on the bright side, once I got it figured out I've run upwards of a few dozen lengthy patrols and the only problems I've had since are the ones associated with shelling out of the program via Alt+Tab.

Armistead
01-12-10, 09:22 PM
"Have I made a huge mistake."

Woo...,thought you got married young...thankfully it's just the game.

G2B
01-12-10, 09:51 PM
"Have I made a huge mistake."

Woo...,thought you got married young...thankfully it's just the game.

:har:

I was thinking maybe married someone on shore leave from Bangkok :har:

Surprised usually 1.5 is stable. Keep us posted on your progress.

And No you did not make a huge mistake, maybe just a couple minor ones.

Tweety
01-12-10, 09:53 PM
Welcome aboard latearrival,

Once you get UBM up and working. You will find out it is a lot better than v1.3.

Tweety

latearrival
01-13-10, 02:03 AM
LOL, no I married late-ish!

Guess I'll try and reinstall both (in a few days when I get my internet quota reset) and see where that leaves me.

I'm getting the feeling that UBM does not have a reputation of being flakey, is that right?

And is there a particular mod that works with 1.5 that fixes the known bugs?

Cheers!

magic452
01-13-10, 02:33 AM
V1.5 is pretty bug free as far as big bugs goes but there are a few things still a little buggy.

Websters GFO (Game Fix Only) takes care of most of these or at least the ones that can be fixed. It doesn't change game play or graphics.

Hope you get the game to run, it's worth the effort.
I'd check Amazon.com It's cheep and than you have a disk and a lot less problems.

Magic

By the way welcome to the boat mate. Even if you are a little late. HA HA.

latearrival
01-13-10, 07:00 AM
Thanks everyone for replying. It seems like a very positive, supportive community you've got going here!

Based on comments in this thread and elsewhere, it seems I might have to consider buying a DVD version of the game. What is it about Steam that people don't like?

Armistead
01-13-10, 09:33 AM
Trust us...buy the disc if you can:D

Col. Caldwell
01-13-10, 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone for replying. It seems like a very positive, supportive community you've got going here!

Based on comments in this thread and elsewhere, it seems I might have to consider buying a DVD version of the game. What is it about Steam that people don't like?

Steam essentially takes over your game. If you bought a game on Steam, you can't run the game without it, as I learned from COD: Modern Warfare 2. And I didn't even get the game from Steam. I got it on a DVD, from a store.

unga
01-13-10, 02:44 PM
Trust us...buy the disc if you can:D

Very, very, very good advice :yeah:

SteamWake
01-13-10, 03:58 PM
BTW the accelerated clouds ... everyone sees that... it bugs the hell outa me too but it is what it is.

latearrival
01-13-10, 04:06 PM
Steam essentially takes over your game. If you bought a game on Steam, you can't run the game without it, as I learned from COD: Modern Warfare 2. And I didn't even get the game from Steam. I got it on a DVD, from a store.

Isn't that because the developer/publisher chose to deliver patches via Steam? If that's the case, surely that doesn't make Steam inherently bad, does it?

@Armistead, @Unga - Why is it you guys prefer disks to digital?

latearrival
01-13-10, 05:13 PM
BTW the accelerated clouds ... everyone sees that... it bugs the hell outa me too but it is what it is.

Wow! Everyone has the bug where accelerated clouds appear when time is not being accelerated?

Armistead
01-13-10, 06:48 PM
It happens sometimes with clouds or water. I've adjusted most of mine out with video settings.

If it bugs you, you can reset the screen using Control N, that resets the weather, so be careful. If you're attacking a convoy and have fog and use it, your fog will go away. Control N bascially resets it to normal weather and resets the screen so any shimmering, fast clouds, ect..should reset to normal.

latearrival
01-13-10, 07:45 PM
It happens sometimes with clouds or water. I've adjusted most of mine out with video settings.

If it bugs you, you can reset the screen using Control N, that resets the weather, so be careful. If you're attacking a convoy and have fog and use it, your fog will go away. Control N bascially resets it to normal weather and resets the screen so any shimmering, fast clouds, ect..should reset to normal.

Great tip and warning. Thanks!

Armistead
01-13-10, 08:00 PM
Great tip and warning. Thanks!

Just remember to do it why you in the cam screen when you see the effect, not inside the sub...

G2B
01-13-10, 09:32 PM
Hitting Ctrl N while in the middle of a Convoy would be a big mistake. Did it once, we were dead in under a minute. Felt like a cat sneekin in a dark room full of dogs and somebody turned on the lights :nope:

I have the download version but picked up the Gold version new at the store for about $6.00. It's the sense of security that if things go bad I can reload from the disc with no worries.

Question: does the disc need to be in to play if your not using the DL version?

magic452
01-14-10, 03:04 AM
Question: does the disc need to be in to play if your not using the DL version?

Nope just load up the game and put the disc in a safe place.

Magic

tomoose
01-14-10, 04:16 AM
Latearrival;
welcome aboard.
hopefully you'll get your game up and running smoothly. I bought the DVD for the game but am still a fan of Steam (I play Day of Defeat Source off and on). I downloaded Dangerous Waters and have been playing it offline without any Steam-related issues (although I basically suck at using the sonar, LOL).

Regardless, once you get familiar with the game I'd recommend you look at the mods (either TMO or RFB for gameplay/graphic fixes and RSRD for a more authentic campaign). Just a suggestion but I'm sure they'll improve your overall appreciation for the game.

As mentioned there is still the odd glitch in the game that can't be modded/patched but these are minor to the overall gameplay/experience.

:salute:

latearrival
01-14-10, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Apart from C02 build-ups that require a save/reload to clear (surfacing & clicking the CO2 icon does not always work), the v1.5 Steam version has been behaving itself recently so I'll persevere.

KlassenT
01-14-10, 07:24 PM
Glad to hear it's working out for ya! :yeah:

Don't worry too much about it, in spite of what these naysayers will tell you, SH4's digital distributions (Yes, that includes Steam!) aren't any less stable than retail versions once you finally get them fooled into working.

Oh, and as I recall, the CO2 shenanigans primarily happens when you shell back to the OS with Alt+Tab, though I'm open to correction on that.

There's also no 'fix' aside from a save/load as far as I know; some people will have it happen consistently, while others never see it at all... A strange issue, but not a game-breaking one IMO. Now get back to sea and give that enemy shipping hell! :D