PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Homegroup Help

Spike88
01-07-10, 06:32 PM
Both my Desktop and my laptop are running Windows 7, the Desktop is running 32bit Ultimate, and the Laptop 64bit Professional.

And they're both connected to the same network. Well Kinda.

My desktop is connected to the network via Ethernet cable, so it says its connected to the "Home Network", the Laptop is connected via Wifi, so it says its connected to the "Wireless Network". Both computers recognize that the other computer is connected in some shape or form to the same network.

Now I want to use a Homegroup to watch several shows I have on my desktop without moving them over to my laptop. Mostly due to the fact I don't have a Portable harddrive at the moment.

The problem is that since the laptop and the desktop aren't in the exact same Network, they can't join the same homegroup.

Is there anyway to fix this? Also my router is a 2wire 2701HG-B.

Any help would be appreciated.

longam
01-07-10, 07:57 PM
Are they in the same work group?

Right click on Computer and select Properties.

Select Advanced system settings.

Select the Computer Name Tab

At the bottom of the page you can change the Work group.

Spike88
01-07-10, 08:26 PM
They're both in workgroup: WORKGROUP.

Here's the connection map from the Desktop's perspective.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/Tetsou88/Capture2.png
My brother is on the desktop so I had to recreate it with paint. :haha:
But it's accurate.

Here's the laptops.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/Tetsou88/thing.png

The laptop can recognize that there's another computer there, just not in the direct line. The Desktop recognize the laptop without a problem. And yeah for some reason the Desktop says its connecting to ? and then connecting to Juarez(my router)

longam
01-07-10, 09:12 PM
Right click on the folder where the movies are and select 'Share With'

Edit: Just select Help and Support from the main menu and type Sharing Files from there.......a bunch answers to be found

Spike88
01-09-10, 03:16 PM
Edit: I figured out the problem. Both the laptop and the desktop had the same name. I'm such an idiot. :haha: