PDA

View Full Version : Enough's enough...help please!

nodlew
01-04-10, 05:25 PM
Every time I try to download a file from Subsim, whether I just downloaded, or have not downloaded in hours or days, get the following message and it is now officially driving me up the ffffing wall:

Slow Down! You are trying to download files too quickly. You must wait 3 seconds before you may download another file.

Sometimes it says 2 seconds, other times it says 1 second. But it is a cruel joke on me, because it doesn't matter how many gddmn seconds I wait, I get the same message over and over again.
I have tried turning off every Firefox add-on without positive result. I switched to Internet Explorer, and I get the same thing. I am not using any download manager that I know of.
All I want is a decent freaking skin for my U-Boat. Can someone give me some insight into what I crime I have committed against Subsim in this life or perhaps one previous to be so cruelly prevented from downloading files?

danasan
01-04-10, 05:31 PM
Could you give me the link with the DL, you are looking for? I'd try to give you another download possibility...

Edit: Did you try to erase the temporary internet files in MS Internet Explorer and / or Firefox? Sometimes that helps...

Pisces
01-04-10, 05:52 PM
Well, the bilge pumps can only push out so much water. Remember Neal had to start a little fundraising campaign recently to pay for website costs. (note to self :oops:) I wouldn't be surprised if this warning was a way to help reduce those costs. You didn't really commit a crime. Other than indulgence. ;)

danasan
01-04-10, 05:56 PM
OK, if it is because of traffic, we should help as good as we can. :salute:

nodlew
01-04-10, 07:21 PM
Danasan, I appreciate the offer, but it's not just one file that I need, but rather the ability to access the library of files here at Subsim for download.

Pisces, is that the problem? Too many people downloading? I thought I was the only person with this "...you're downloading too fast" malady.

Since when is downloading a U-Boat skin an indulgence? Why do people make them and put them up for downloading if it is indulgent to download them? I suppose anything done for pleasure, or anything the act of which brings by default some pleasure could be considered, strictly speaking, indulgent. But there are degrees. Breathing is, by that measure, something of an indulgence. In the grand scheme of things indulgent, surely downloading a U-Boat skin falls very low on the ladder, so low as to be hardly worth acknowledging it as an indulgence at all, when there are continuously acts occurring all around us so indulgent that they simply cry out for someone to mark them as such and call them to the attention of an indulgence despising humanity. This stream of verbiage, for example. Now this is indulgence.

nodlew
01-04-10, 07:48 PM
I'll try that. Thanks.

Sailor Steve
01-04-10, 08:21 PM
I don't know the answer to that one, and I'm supposedly in charge of the Downloads section. I have some other questions for Neal in that regard, so I'll try to remeember to ask him that one as well.

Also you can feel free to PM him, as he's the only one who knows for sure how it all works (though I'm not positive that he does either).

[edit]I just looked and you're downloading an average of about 4 per day. I don't know if that's the problem or not. I know this board doesn't let you post new messages too fast, or use too many smilies in one message, but I don't know how the downloads work in that regard.

Pisces
01-04-10, 08:34 PM
Please ignore my remarks about indulgence. I'm not sure that choice of word reflected what I wanted to bring across. And it's far too late here to try again. Bernard just started his shift.

I personally have not noticed such a warning. But I also have not downloaded many files the past days to trigger it. The search function however does have such a minimum period-inbetween. Annoying, but understandingly.

nodlew
01-04-10, 08:49 PM
That can't be right Steve. I've tried to download myriad times, and I've been successful on a few occasions. But four per day? I wish. I think this site thinks clicking a link is downloading.

Besides that--I've been gaming a long time, and when I get into a game, I download a lot for it. Il-2 is the best example. Skins, mods, mods, mods, until my entire C: is nothing but Il-2. That was never a problem--there was no rationing of downloads. Perhaps I am approaching this whole thing wrongheadedly. I have never considered "downloads" from a site with a large mods section as a scarce resource, but rather as an inexhaustible resource.

What I mean to say is, four per day, if that were true, is nothing. Isn't it?

I'm beginning to think that there are some kind of strict bandwidth limitations in place here that I'm just not aware of having never encountered them before.

Sailor Steve
01-04-10, 08:58 PM
I would agree. I think you should be able to download to your heart's content.

As I said, I just don't know. I'm trying to find out for you, but it may take a day or two.

nodlew
01-04-10, 09:05 PM
Thanks dude. :salute:

Sailor Steve
01-04-10, 09:13 PM
I just contacted Neal. Hopefully help is on the way. It may or may not be good news, but it will be news.:sunny:

nodlew
01-04-10, 09:15 PM
I was just having fun riffing on the notion of indulgence. Pay me no heed, sir! No heed at all. Heedless be of me. Without heed of any kind. 'Twas a giggle, 'twas all. I'm in a particularly absurd mood tonight for some reason. Strange, I'm not even drunk. Probably a bad sign. A good mood usually presages a clinical depression. They should be eschewed most strenuously.

Hmmm. Note to self: Vocabulary shows some signs of recovery. Was it the sausage I had for breakfast?

Sailor Steve
01-05-10, 02:21 PM
I talked to Neal, and he doesn't know either. He thinks possibly it's because of the large number of downloads and maybe there's a limiter or something in the board's system.

So, we're right back where we started: I still don't know.

Sorry.

Pisces
01-05-10, 05:44 PM
I was just having fun riffing on the notion of indulgence. Pay me no heed, sir! No heed at all. Heedless be of me. Without heed of any kind. 'Twas a giggle, 'twas all. I'm in a particularly absurd mood tonight for some reason. Strange, I'm not even drunk. Probably a bad sign. A good mood usually presages a clinical depression. They should be eschewed most strenuously.

Hmmm. Note to self: Vocabulary shows some signs of recovery. Was it the sausage I had for breakfast?Ehm, how long have you been awake? How long have you been submerged? What is the CO2 level aboard your submarine? (this last one is probably the most likely cause for your strange mood) ;)

nodlew
01-06-10, 03:27 AM
Steve, thanks for your efforts on my behalf. The only thing to do then is keep clicking until the download takes.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut. Henceforth reduced to the acronymn SOIGKV. I think that's an acronymn.

Pisces, my former good feeling has lapsed into my characteristic state of ennui. Crisis passed without incident.

nodlew
01-06-10, 04:10 AM
I think I know what the problem is and it is not a problem with SH3, rather a problem I have been having for some time downloading from many sites--any site which has any restrictions (time limits imposed) on downloads. Rapidshare, Megaupload, etc. After having downloaded a file--might have been hours ago, my i.p. is still being detected as downloading a file. Rapidshare: "Your i.p. is already downloading a file..." When I am not, download is over.
Got to be an easy way around this. Am trying cmd prompt--ipconfig/release.
Then--ipconfig/renew.
Explains a lot of things--why others aren't having this prob for example. It's not a SH3 prob, it's a nodlew prob.

SOIGKV.

nodlew
01-06-10, 04:20 AM
No joy as of yet. Renewing my config doesn't do anything. Tried restarting my modem--but I have to re-login to Subsim,and download still doesn't work. Take note, I have not downloaded anything from Subsim. Not one byte--and getting the "Slow down" message. Haven't downloaded anything from Subsim in over 24 hrs.