PDA

View Full Version : I need a book recommendation

cbrown1790
12-31-09, 06:02 AM
Hi,

There are so many books out there it becomes hit or miss. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

What I am looking for is submarine fiction, preferrably a series of books.

I have read the three books in the Jack Tremain Series (Pride Runs Deep), which I enjoyed, but I am finding difficult to find another series to go to. I am a fan of Aubrey and Hornblower novels and was looking for something along the same lines but in submarines.

Thanks for the help.

Panser
02-01-10, 07:34 PM
Submarines and US Navy SEALs are recurring elements in Patrick Robinson's books. I wouldn't call them particularly brilliant literature, but they are pretty readable and kept me entertained a few years ago. If you do want to give them a try, I'd suggest starting from the beginning as a lot of the characters do keep coming back through the books.

Nimitz class is the one to start with if you do give them a go, the general plot being: A rogue diesel-electric, possibly a russian Kilo class sub wipes a US carrier task force off the map with a nuclear torpedo and the resulting US and British investigation to find the dastardly beast responsible.

From what I remember of the book and from a layman's perspective (mine), the guy seemes to have been well advised or done his research into modern submarine behaviour and methods of passive detection and sub vs. sub / ASW. At least it read convincing to someone who otherwise knows nothing about it!

As an aside, if you like Napoleonic war-era naval fiction such as Hornblower and Patrock O'Brian's books, you will probably also enjoy the Bolitho books by Alexander Kent and the Kydd series by Julian Stockwin

sharkbit
02-02-10, 09:23 AM
You might try Edward L. Beach's:
Run Silent, Run Deep.
Dust on the Sea
Cold is the Sea

All three are linked. The first two are set in WWII and the last in the cold war.
All very good reads and realistic(Beach served on subs in the Pacific).

:)

Randomizer
02-02-10, 11:04 AM
Several of Alexander Fullerton's WW2 Everard novels deal with the RN submarine service but since my copys have all been recycled to used book stores the names of most escape me.

A pretty good read is Not Thinking of Death and was set in the Med if I recall correctly.

TLAM Strike
02-02-10, 02:56 PM
Try H. J. Riker's Silent Service books. Also Larry Bond's Dangrous Ground was good.

ThePinkSubmarine
02-28-10, 10:54 PM
I read "Final Run" by David E Meadows not too long ago. Pretty decent early early Cold War submarine (nearly pre-nuke submarine age) thriller.

ThePinkSubmarine
02-28-10, 10:57 PM
Also I see that you are looking for a fiction book -- but Thunder Below by Adm. Fluckey is one heck of a good read (keeps you on the edge or your seat...and it isn't even fiction!)

Kaye T. Bai
03-02-10, 05:53 AM
From what I've read of the book so far, "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy is pretty good.