PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter 2 help

Rct. Tsoul
12-27-09, 03:24 AM
Yes I installed Silent Hunter 2, I love this game, it is not working with Windows7, I get janus.err file screen and the screen blanker just stays on, someone please help me to get this game running.:wah:

Please do not make a reply post unless you are sure it will work, dont start telling me to try stuff that you are not sure that will work.

Dowly
12-27-09, 03:42 AM
Try the drivers that are on the install disc. SH2 is and was PITA to get run at times. :-?

PS. I installed my copy some months back, had horrible graphic glitches when I eventually got it to run, so be prepared just in case. :O:

Pisces
12-27-09, 09:53 AM
It's a long time ago I played it (on XP machine). IIRC the main game runs different exe files to start the campaign or museum and such. I think I had to set the compatibility mode for those particular .exe files to Win98se. I can't remember which names they had though. But they should be visible with taskmanager when the game is running.

Jimbuna
12-27-09, 10:40 AM
If you haven't already, I'd give SH3 a spin....far superior in every way :hmmm:

Sailor Steve
12-27-09, 01:43 PM
Have you patched it? I hated SH2 because it would never run right, and a search for a fix brought me to Subsim in the first place, and to the official patch, which fixed a lot of things.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=38

MadDog09
12-27-09, 02:56 PM
SH2 v1.1 (patched) runs on my both PC's with Win 7 without any problems.
The game runs with Administrator permissions and in XP(SP3) compatibility.

Shearwater
12-27-09, 09:16 PM
PS. I installed my copy some months back, had horrible graphic glitches when I eventually got it to run, so be prepared just in case. :O:

Yup. If you have an nVidia graphics card, don't be surprised to see that glitches. AFAIK there's no workaround other than a different graphics card.

Buddahaid
12-27-09, 11:25 PM
Yup. If you have an nVidia graphics card, don't be surprised to see that glitches. AFAIK there's no workaround other than a different graphics card.

Ditto. That's my experience.

Hitman
12-28-09, 07:58 AM
If you want accurate help, the first thing you should tell us is:

1.- Your computer specs (Specially graphics card and drivers version you are using)

2.- Version of SH2 installed (Initial 1.0 or patched to 1.1)

3.- Mods you have added (Or if you have a plain vanilla install)

4.- It also would be helpful if you could copy here the janus error you get. That is many times very telling of where the problem comes from.

:salute: