PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications

Baumann
12-25-09, 09:51 PM
Hi all - happy xmas and new year!

Was wondering in what order people awarded qualifications in career mode and why they think certain qualifications are more or less important than others.

Thanks

Sailor Steve
12-26-09, 01:25 AM
I use SH3 Commander, which lets you award as many awards and promotions as you see fit. I try to play historically as I see it. I give the entire crew the U-boat Badge after their second patrol (it wasn't available at the beginning of the war, and Commmander will warn you about that). After that, I follow Commander's advice on giving medals to a crewman "If you think he deserves it". I actually keep track of who did what, so I can award those I think are truly deserving.

Kimmers
12-26-09, 05:21 AM
imo torpedoman, machinist and watchman are the most important, but that's just to make sure the boat runs smoothly, you dont want the engine crew suddenly getting tired in the heat of battle

Brag
12-26-09, 10:05 AM
Having a good repair crew may mean the difference btween sinking or getting home. Engine and torpedo crew comes next in my priorities.

Baumann
12-26-09, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys - My order of priority was always 1. Machinist 2. Repairman 3. Gunner 4. Flak 5. Helm. Was just wondering what others thought and whether it was important. I guess I appoint machinist first because often the crew get tired on long missions. As has been said - a senior officer with the repair qualification can make the difference between survival or otherwise.

I also use SH3 Commander and award medals as I see fit. I tend to find that SH3 dishes them out rather freely - especially the iron crosses. With regards to getting medals yourself - it also seems a bit too easy to get the knight's cross + oak leaves + crossed swords. I always play with 100% realism and this is not that accurate - you would have had to do something pretty extraordinary to get some of these medals (not just survive till '42 for instance!).

Regards

RConch
12-26-09, 02:12 PM
It will really speed up torpedo reloads if you have an Officer qualified as a torpedosman and put him in either area that is being reloaded.
I always make my helmsman officers torpedomen and repairmen.

Kapitanleutnant
12-26-09, 04:08 PM
Do the Helm and Medic qualifications do anything? I can't imagine that the helmsman qualification would be useful, since navigation in SH3 is an exact science without error. And and while I've had plenty of crew members killed I don't think I've ever seen one injured, so not much use for a medic. Unless these two qualifications impart some other bonuses?

Jimbuna
12-26-09, 05:19 PM
The helmsman qualification is the least useful IMHO and I prioritise the torpedo qualification the most valued, closely followed by machinist and repair.

Pisces
12-26-09, 05:59 PM
The medic increases fatigue recovery rate in the crew quarters. I found him very helpfull in a type 2, which is chronically undermanned.

Snestorm
12-26-09, 07:15 PM
There are three guys that should make 1. class PO.
2 Radiomen, and 1 Repairman.

It's also advisable to promote a Repair Qualified Officer.

A Helmsman is helpful but, he need never be promoted.

The watchman can serve indefinately if you promote him to 2. class PO.

See what rank is required to fill the green bar with an exhausted crew.
Diesels and Electric Motors don't require a full green bar.
TorpedoMen and sailors are rested until needed.
I don't babysit the crew, at all.
Well, except Mr. Carlewitz, whom I personaly wake.