PDA

View Full Version : Best Firefox version?

XabbaRus
12-06-09, 04:15 AM
I reinstalled Windows XP last night and was wondering what was the best build of Firefox, or should I use Windows 8

The reason I am asking is with the later versions of Firefox I would get something quite intriguing. When I was visiting some sites, usually with a Flash animation or maybe not, eg f1sportnetwork site my fan would suddenly kick into high speed and the CPU load would jump up to 80%, all for a bloody web page.

Now I thought I might have a virus but came up with nothing. I would also notice tha FF memory usage would have shot right up too....I'd shut down FF and things would go back to normal, so any suggestions?

At the moment I am using IE8

goldorak
12-06-09, 04:31 AM
The problem in not Firefox.
Its that "piece of s h i t" called adobe flash.
Unless you pass your days on youtube or any other flash infested site, uninstall it and all will be well.
No more 100% cpu occupation because of flash banners, no more 100% cpu for seeing ultra pixellated youtube videos.
The irony of the matter is that if you use jdownloader to download youtube videos you don't need flash, and the videos play perfectly well without choking your pc.

Adobe flash can bring your pc to a halt with whatever browser you're using.

kiwi_2005
12-06-09, 04:49 AM
The problem in not Firefox.
Its that "piece of s h i t" called adobe flash.
Unless you pass your days on youtube or any other flash infested site, uninstall it and all will be well.
No more 100% cpu occupation because of flash banners, no more 100% cpu for seeing ultra pixellated youtube videos.
The irony of the matter is that if you use jdownloader to download youtube videos you don't need flash, and the videos play perfectly well without choking your pc.

Adobe flash can bring your pc to a halt with whatever browser you're using.

:yep:

I wasn't quite sure if it was adobe flash but Firefox is on a clean hdd recently reformatted running Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot. (Vista is in retirement and Windows 7 im not even going to go there) First time user of Ubuntu and loving it!

After installing Firefox 3.5 and accepting from websites ''flash is needed popups'' I was convinced flash had something to do with it as just days later firefox performance in Task manager is 87,000k and seems to slowdown at times.

Anyways to OP always go with the latest - Firefox 3.5 atm.

XabbaRus
12-06-09, 04:49 AM
I wondered what it was.

Of course most ads use Flash now on websites which is why I couldn't find anything obvious to load up my CPU.

danlisa
12-08-09, 09:06 AM
Firefox + ******* = Fixed.

******* is a simple little FF addon that, by default, blocks all adverts and even offers a right click context menu and drag n drop function for ads that slip through the net.

It's also worth adding No Script to your FF addons, which works as above.

Somebody please tell me why AD BLOCK is filtered.

goldorak
12-08-09, 10:06 AM
Somebody please tell me why AD BLOCK is filtered.

Well if you had a website that pays in full or part by advertising would you like your visitors to actively block ads ? :hmmm: