PDA

View Full Version : Sonar question

Sterlet392
12-04-09, 01:34 AM
I have a question about current sonar capabilities for anyone here who might have relevant experience. Can passive sonar detect a sail-powered vessel (not running under power)? I'm thinking about a typical pleasure craft, 30ft long, sleeps four. Would active sonar detect a sailboat as well or better than passive sonar?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

ETR3(SS)
12-04-09, 09:37 AM
If it's not making noise, you cant hear it on passive. You might pick up the flow noise of the water around the hull but it might just sound like normal surface action. Active sonar can find anything on the other hand as it sends out a sound pulse and you wait for the sound to be reflected off the contact. You can't classify a contact that way but at least you know something's there.

MikeVictor
01-19-10, 07:55 PM
When I try to move the sonar direction dial (the one on the right) it will not move using the mouse on the dial face or by moving the handle below.

I'm using SH4 1.5 with TMO and RSRD and several small mods.

It works on some boats, but not the GATO and a few others.

Perhaps one of the mods screwed it up??? Any idea on how to reconfig a file so the sonar direction dial setting can be changed manually

Mike

ETR3(SS)
01-19-10, 10:22 PM
I would start by posting this in the SH4 Mods forum. You won't get much help with your problem here.

ME$$ENGER
01-19-10, 11:34 PM
I have another random question about passive sonar/hydrophone. What would happen say if the sonarman happens to hear the explosion of a depth charge near the submarine? Will it cause permanent hearing damage?

ETR3(SS)
01-20-10, 11:26 AM
Being a sonar tech, you will have long term hearing loss anyways. But if you're being depth charged chances are you would turn down the volume so just that sort of thing doesn't happen. Or you could just take off the headphones.

BadKarma1001
01-27-10, 04:52 AM
Are there any references that WWII boats (of any nation) could pick up sound contacts while surfaced?
I tried the TMO 1.9 mod the other day and was a little disappointed that i was able to pick up hydrophone contacts while surfaced but some guys claims it is realistic.

Chad
01-27-10, 12:19 PM
Being a sonar tech, you will have long term hearing loss anyways. But if you're being depth charged chances are you would turn down the volume so just that sort of thing doesn't happen. Or you could just take off the headphones.

What contributes to your hearing loss? Or, after listening to things so closely, do you just not want to listen anymore :O:

ETR3(SS)
01-27-10, 02:45 PM
Are there any references that WWII boats (of any nation) could pick up sound contacts while surfaced?
I tried the TMO 1.9 mod the other day and was a little disappointed that i was able to pick up hydrophone contacts while surfaced but some guys claims it is realistic.Ducimus the TMO creator should be able to answer that one, I'd post the question in the TMO thread.

What contributes to your hearing loss? Or, after listening to things so closely, do you just not want to listen anymore :O: Lol, the constant popping of shrimp gets annoying to listen to.:DL But in reality the constant sound that your ears are being exposed to accelerates the hearing loss process. Believe it or not, the ocean is pretty noisy.