PDA

View Full Version : In need of some book-review inspiration

Subnuts
12-01-09, 02:12 PM
Hi everyone, just your friendly neighborhood book reviewer checking in.

I've been going through a period of writer's block since I wrote my review of U-Boat War back in August. I recently read Attack On The Liberty and was fairly impressed by it, but lacked sufficient writer Mojo to actually review it. I've been thinking of reviewing the Anatomy of the Ship book on the HMS Alliance, but haven't gotten around to doing it. The project currently brewing in my head is a review/soapbox editorial/re-examination/ of Iron Coffins that never seems to actually get written.

I figure my lack of inspiration is due to the lack of new naval books published in the last two years, besides a few digestible popular histories and some conspiracy malarkey. So, I just thought I'd ask: what would everyone here like to see from me? It's not like Neal's been pointing a gun in my face demanding a new book review right now, but I want to deliver. I've been wracking my brains these last couple days, folks, so if anyone has ideas, I'd be eternally grateful.

UnterseeBoogeyMan
12-01-09, 10:49 PM
These aren't new books but are well-written. I didnt see these in the Books section, so I mention them. Maybe they will get your juices flowing.

Memoirs Ten Years and Twenty Days by Karl Doenitz. He had a highly detailed memory of his years of the sub campaign during the war and insights into his time as Hitler's successor. He has his own point of view on events and issues outside of the Atlantic war, you take with a grain of salt, but makes for good reading.

Combined Fleet Decoded by John Prados

Code making and code breaking in the Pacific. He really makes the case that code breaking may have won the war and shaved a few years off it. Example - had Japanese Intell been better Leyte Gulf would have gone differently. A side note about John Prados - he designed the Avalon Hill game, Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.

If you dont do a review on these, they make for good reading.

Randomizer
12-02-09, 02:26 AM
The Rules of the Game - Jutland and British Naval Command by Andrew Gordon.

The author takes a new look at Jutland within the context of the social evolution, experiance and training of two key commanders, RAdm Evan-Thomas, Commander 5th Battle Squadron and VAdm Beatty, Commander Battle Cruiser Fleet. He examines how the "Cult of the Signallers" grew out of the loss of HMS Victoria in 1893 and the signals organization came to dominate battle doctrine in the years before WW1.

An excellent read for anybody even remotely interested in the era.

The Cruellest Night - Germany's Dunkirk and the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff by Christopher Dobson, John Miller and Ronald Payne.

This 1979 work is hard to find but the subject matter makes it a nice addition to any submarine library. Some interesting descriptions of duty in a submarine of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet in the late war as well.

aussepom
12-27-09, 07:24 AM
HiSubnuts
May be you will read mine when I am finished, it has some naval interests. I have three beginnings but I am down to two, the MC uses the ship to earn money for his company, new naval systems, but it is also a good cover for disposing of many bodies and this one does get away with it for a change.
I know what you mean about writers bock. Oh the title, at the moment, Revenge of the Reaper.
aussepom

Dowly
12-27-09, 11:21 AM
Review them drunk. :know:

Subnuts
12-30-09, 07:10 PM
I've written a 2,000ish word review of Iron Coffins that will (hopefully) appear in the next Almanac. I didn't write it drunk, by my conclusion is so contrarian to the general opinion of the book, you might think I was! :rotfl2:

frau kaleun
12-30-09, 09:11 PM
But we can still read it drunk, right? :O:

Seriously, though, is the "almanac" the page you get when you click the Books link on the home page? Seems to be where all the book reviews are, which I should really take a look at one of these days. Drunk or otherwise.