PDA

View Full Version : Back in the fold.

Apocal
11-19-09, 07:19 PM
After a hiatus of some four years from Silent Hunter, I'm back with SHIV. But now I'm back to being new again and I have a few questions.

1. Is the 1.5 patch restricted to the addon? I have very little interest in U-boating in the Pacific, but I'm wondering how much not having it is holding me back.

2. In-game the SD radar occassionally decides to turn itself off and won't report contacts? Is there a method behind this madness or is it just a bug. I'm all patched up to 1.4.

3. Overall radar is kinda wonky, sometimes I order it on and it comes on, others I have to manually go to the station and play with things to get the radarman to realize that he should be reporting contacts.

4. What are the Must Have mods for SHIV 1.4?

5. Someone remind me why we based boats all the way in Pearl Harbor during the war? The trip is killing me!

Webster
11-19-09, 08:01 PM
1. Is the 1.5 patch restricted to the addon? I have very little interest in U-boating in the Pacific, but I'm wondering how much not having it is holding me back.

the ubm v1.5 ad-on IS the v1.5 patch and it has very little if anything to do with the german side, that was just an excuse for ubisoft to be able to charge you for it

2. In-game the SD radar occassionally decides to turn itself off and won't report contacts? Is there a method behind this madness or is it just a bug. I'm all patched up to 1.4.

3. Overall radar is kinda wonky, sometimes I order it on and it comes on, others I have to manually go to the station and play with things to get the radarman to realize that he should be reporting contacts.

2 & 3 radar was and still is a little buggy but you get used to it

4. What are the Must Have mods for SHIV 1.4?

99% of the mods are now made for v1.5 game so not many v1.4 mods are still out there to find since v1.5 came out. to make things worse filefront was shut down then sold and restarted all new so all files there were lost forever unless someone has saved them somewhere else so i would guess 70% of all the v1.4 mods were lost forever. there are TMO and RFB versions for v1.4 but they are quite old and while they still work good they dont have many of the advancements made since v1.5 came out so the new RFB and TMO mods are worlds better than there older counterparts.

do yourself a favor and get the ad-on, you wont be sorry and 90% of those who use the 15 ad-on have never played on the german side, but german side mods have made it a fairly entertaining game on that side now if you wanted to try it.

5. Someone remind me why we based boats all the way in Pearl Harbor during the war? The trip is killing me!

this one is easy, thats where all the nurses were :salute:

go check out this thread to see the mods out there: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155786

Torplexed
11-19-09, 09:30 PM

That long trip probably is the reason why a large sub base was eventually set up at Midway Island. Although it had a lot of amenities, women as Webster noted, wasn't one of them. ;)

Apocal
11-19-09, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the answers guys.

BTW, I heard there was a radar mod called PPI RANGE CIRCLE that adds calibrated range marks to the PPI display. Trouble is, I can't find where I can download it from. Anyone know?

sergei
11-20-09, 05:58 AM
Found these radar mods.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=140855&highlight=radar

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152097&highlight=radar

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=142884&highlight=radar

Could be one of these?

Apocal
11-20-09, 07:10 AM
Found these radar mods.

Could be one of these?

Yeah, the Radar Combimod is where I got the initial steer from indy, post number 10. Unfortunately, he didn't actually give a download location and going to the original release thread here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=115207

Last posts were about a conversion to SH1.3 that looks like it never happened.

But indy is playing with version 1.4, so it's out there somewhere, obviously.

Apocal
11-20-09, 03:21 PM
Also, my sonar appears to function perfectly fine on the surface? I recall this being present in SH3 as well and it's just a bit odd as I was under the impression that sonar liked to have a little bit of depth before it started really working for you.

Torplexed
11-20-09, 08:33 PM
Also, my sonar appears to function perfectly fine on the surface? I recall this being present in SH3 as well and it's just a bit odd as I was under the impression that sonar liked to have a little bit of depth before it started really working for you.

As the hydrophone listening heads of US subs were located under the bow of the submarine, not on the foredeck as with U-Boats it might have been a path of least resistance design decision by the developers, since the hydrophones worked that way in SH3. How effective they were while that close to the surface is still up to debate.

Sailor Steve
11-20-09, 09:23 PM
At the beginning of the war we only had two forward bases - Pearl Harbor and Cavite/Manila in the Philippines. Once the war was underway new bases were developed as quickly as possible. Midway, as mentioned, as well as Brisbane and Fremantle in Australia.

But at first, for Japan operations, Pearl was what they were stuck with.

Torplexed
11-20-09, 10:26 PM
What would be worse would be a Japanese I-Boat captain operating against the West Coast of the United States from their closest submarine base at Kwajalein Atoll. About a 5,000 mile trip. ;)

Apocal
11-21-09, 02:37 AM
As the hydrophone listening heads of US subs were located under the bow of the submarine, not on the foredeck as with U-Boats it might have been a path of least resistance design decision by the developers, since the hydrophones worked that way in SH3. How effective they were while that close to the surface is still up to debate.

Judging from the lack of sonar first detections in "Silent Victory" I'm going to guess either sonar wasn't manned while on the surface or it's performance was poor. OTOH, it may have been radar stealing all the thunder, although I got the impression that it was used rather sparingly due to some degree of DF capability in the IJN.

At the beginning of the war we only had two forward bases - Pearl Harbor and Cavite/Manila in the Philippines. Once the war was underway new bases were developed as quickly as possible. Midway, as mentioned, as well as Brisbane and Fremantle in Australia.

But at first, for Japan operations, Pearl was what they were stuck with.

Roger that. I remember there was a valid reason, but it's hard to justify that to myself as I find I can only spend about three days hunting before another two week trip back to PH. That's a drag.

What would be worse would be a Japanese I-Boat captain operating against the West Coast of the United States from their closest submarine base at Kwajalein Atoll. About a 5,000 mile trip. ;)

A tear just rolled down my face.

Apocal
11-22-09, 04:44 AM
OK another new guy question, here's the context, right now my career is sitting in SEP43, I'm cruising around Jawa looking for tankers and finding convoys left, right and center. I paid the renown to get Mk23s and I also notice that now contact/influence is off by default. Torpedo reliability has been pretty much phenomenal so far, so here is my question:

Is there ever a point where influence detonation will work reliably in stock SH4?

Rockin Robbins
11-22-09, 01:25 PM
Although the sonic JP gear was immediately secured upon surfacing (it's sonar head was then above water), the supersonic WCA stack remained in operation with the expectation that valuable information would continue to be collected by it. From the WWII Sonar Operator's Manual:

Securing WCA gear
When your submarine surfaces, you will continue searching. While it is running at a slow speed, you will be able to listen efficiently. But at higher speeds the noise becomes so great that you will have to report to the conning officer: "QB, listening conditions poor." Probably you will then be ordered to secure the gear. Here is the way to secure:

1. Bring the bug either to 000 degrees or 180 degrees, whichever is required by the cable arrangement on your ship. (Ask the radio technician.)
2. Unplug the headphones and hang them up carefully.
3. Push the STOP button on the remote-control unit; the training-motor generator light will go out.
4. Turn the line switch on the receiver-amplifier OFF.
5. The conning officer will order a torpedoman in the forward torpedo room to raise the projectors. Watch the green light in the upper right-hand corner of the remote-control unit. When it glows, you know that the projector has been raised.
Look at all the stuff to do which our game leaves totally unmodeled!:woot:

magic452
11-23-09, 02:50 AM
RR did the manual say at what speed the WCA would still work.

Say about 10 knots it works but to do an end run at flank it would not be working?
Certainly would change the way we do that.

Magic