PDA

View Full Version : Questions on background processes (gaming)

onelifecrisis
11-16-09, 05:08 PM
A common recommendation for improved game performance is to shut down background processes. It's good advice - on my old machine (which ran XP on a single core CPU) it was practically mandatory. However my new machine is a different kettle of fish.

Given that my new PC is a quad-core, I am wondering, if a particular game...
(a) does not use anywhere near my total system RAM and
(b) is GPU locked
then am I correct in thinking that shutting down background processes (such as antivirus) is not going to help performance in that game?

nikimcbee
11-16-09, 05:35 PM
A common recommendation for improved game performance is to shut down background processes. It's good advice - on my old machine (which ran XP on a single core CPU) it was practically mandatory. However my new machine is a different kettle of fish.

Given that my new PC is a quad-core, I am wondering, if a particular game...
(a) does not use anywhere near my total system RAM and
(b) is GPU locked
then am I correct in thinking that shutting down background processes (such as antivirus) is not going to help performance in that game?

What OS are you using on your new system? I heard XP doesn't play nicely w/ quad-cores.

onelifecrisis
11-16-09, 05:40 PM
Sorry I should have said, it's Vista 64bit.

longam
11-16-09, 06:14 PM
With the duel and quad cores and 4GB RAM we seem to be ahead of the resource game, but I'm sure they will turn that around in the future.

Reece
11-16-09, 07:40 PM
With a high end computer like yours OLC I would not worry about the background applications, I tried my dual core with Crysis, I went offline then using task manager shut most applications down! didn't seem to make much difference,:yep: besides if you are online I'd be careful what you shutdown!:hmmm: BTW, in my test I had 4GB of ram.

CaptainHaplo
11-16-09, 08:49 PM
Think of a Pie.......

Yummy Pie.....

The entire Pie is how much your processor (regardless of # of cores) can process every cycle. Every process that is running is a slice of pie that is not available for your game. Sure, some processes are tiny in comparison to the total amount, but you don't have to be "CPU Locked" to get better performance. Just remember - a larger slice of Pie is good for games.

The other thing to realize is some processes themselves may be tiny, but they may depend on other parts of your PC to execute. A perfect example is the Gawdawful "searchindexer" process that somehow continues to still exist in Win7. The slowest component on your PC in most cases is the HD, and this process requires continual access to the HD as data changes. Thus, its "piece" of pie is small, but given the response time of the HD, the actual drag on the system is higher than just the "process" itself indicates.

This is why killing non-vital processes does more than solve "CPU Lock" issues and can speed your gaming performance well outside what the process would make you think.

Reece
11-16-09, 11:21 PM
Well since I run XP I don't have "searchindexer", thank goodness for that eh!!:yep:

kiwi_2005
11-17-09, 04:50 AM
Good site for tweaking your os: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

3 tweaking options, Safe, Tweaked or Barebones. Just choose your OS and go by his tutorial on what to keep & disable. Alot of it is straight forward stuff yet better to have some pro telling me than some noob. :DL

AVGWarhawk
11-17-09, 09:07 AM
As Reeece said...do not worry about it. I run AMD 9850x4 and have 59 processing going. I play all my games without shutting down a darn thing. It makes life less complicated OLC. Before and like you stated it was mandatory to shut down processes with a single core. Such pain in the butt. I love turning on the computer and just start playing. As far as having programs open, online, playing music, burning a CD, having a chat window open and on Teamspeak all at th same time without a hiccup...these machines can do it. I run 64 bit also. Probably the best move I made on this computer.

What is the craziest, having your AV running a scan in the background while you're online fragging some dude on the other side of the world and you do not even notice the AV is scanning. :rock: After a few weeks of ownership of the new rig you will wonder why in the hell you waited so long to upgrade!

onelifecrisis
11-17-09, 10:39 AM
Thanks for your answers guys! :salute:
Yeah I think I will go with the "easy life" option. :up:

FIREWALL
12-05-09, 12:12 PM
GameBooster Quick, Simple, Free. :DL