PDA

View Full Version : list of useable subs in game?

MajorTOM_WLFPAK1
11-08-09, 09:55 PM
is there a list of subs u get to use in game. other than the ones at the start of a carr. .

im asking becouse i started out in a 1941 salmon class sub in java.got a promotion and new sub in early 42 and sent to pearl harbor and was given a 41 modle gato class .when i got a promotion and new sub in early 1943 i was given a 1943 balao class sub and sent to brisbane. i exspected to get a new modle of the class i started with , witch would make sence .

unless you wanted a new sub class then it should have been the class you had. is there any way to have diffrent modles of the same
class?

what im asking is when u get a new sub is it always a diffrent class ? why dont u get a new modle in the same class u start a game with. say u start in 42 and get a gato class sub and then in 43 u get a new sub . why not get a new modle of the class sub u have or get a chance to go to a new class of sub and get the balao class . this to me would make sence. say u dont take the new sub and stay with the one u have do u get to add the the diffrent thing from the next modle say a new conning tower ?

MajorTOM_WLFPAK1
11-09-09, 10:10 PM
anyone ?

btw do upgrades even work?

Ducimus
11-09-09, 10:23 PM
Why would you want a different boat of the same class?

I think it is possible to disable the game giving you upgrades in a boat class over your current one, ahh. well, *shrug*

dig around the /data/submarine/NSS_whatever/NSS_whatever.upc file

somewhere near the top of that file, is a variable along the lines of upgradeclass=1 or whatever. Go into each boat file you DON"T want, and make it 0 or 1. Then go into the boat file you DO want and make it one number higher then the rest.

G2B
11-10-09, 12:03 AM
btw do upgrades even work?

Yes the upgrades do work, depending on the year and what upgrades are available.

Are you running stock?

MajorTOM_WLFPAK1
11-10-09, 04:25 PM
for the most part yes i do have a few mods going . but none that changes the game much.

heres the list.

sub hull number
anim fans v1.0
highrest pp1 radar
poul sounds
webs missing voic fix
green lamp
green lock
webs better air patrols
table map 1.3
dday brodcast
cap midnit cbs news radio
merchant skin pack

thats it for the mods. i have played 5 camp and not one upgrade .its why i think upgrades never work .

DarkFish
11-10-09, 07:15 PM
upgrades do work but there are only a few.
And why would they give you a brand new salmon? They weren't even being produced anymore at the time.
Same for the Gato, why would you be given a new gato which is essentially exactly the same as the one you've currently got?

If you're asked if you want a new boat that's exactly what you'll get. If you want to get upgrades, just turn down the offer and wait a few patrols. After a specific date - 1942/07/01 for the Salmon - a message will come up (in port) saying your conning tower was upgraded.

peabody
11-10-09, 07:29 PM
for the most part yes i do have a few mods going . but none that changes the game much.

heres the list.

sub hull number
anim fans v1.0
highrest pp1 radar
poul sounds
webs missing voic fix
green lamp
green lock
webs better air patrols
table map 1.3
dday brodcast
cap midnit cbs news radio
merchant skin pack

thats it for the mods. i have played 5 camp and not one upgrade .its why i think upgrades never work .

The "upgrades" to the subs are improvements to the tower. For example some subs had the flak guns in a "bathtub" and sometimes you couldn't even see the target. So there was a new tower that was cut to expose the flak gun. That is just one example.
You say you have gotten offered new subs, so it depends on when you get the new sub. The Gato has four towers, depending when you got the Gato you may have recieved the one with tower #3 so there is only one upgrade available, but before you could get it, you were offered the Balao, and not long after that the war was over.
So there are a lot of variables to what you get for 'upgrades'. If you do well on your patrols and get offered a new sub, it may already have the 'upgrades' you say you didn't get. And I think there is a certain time they are available, so if you are one to keep refitting and continuing patrol, you may not be in port when the upgrade is available.

Other upgrades are in the form of guns, radars, torpedos, which you buy with renown. You can not buy tower upgrades. So to 'upgrade' a Gato you put better guns and radar on it or hope you get offered a new tower. That is all an upgrade in the same class would be IRL. There are 27 different sub names for the Gato, you get assigned one of those names, but they are all the same sub.

As for how many subs, you have 9 US subs, but the Gar uses the Tambor 3D model so there are really 8.

And towers:
Balao has 2
Gato has 4
Porpoise has 3
Salmon and Sargo share 3
S Class share 3
Tambor and Gar share 3

But as I said before you may get a new sub before you ever get a new tower for your old sub.

Hope that clears up some of the 'upgrade' questions.

Peabody

MajorTOM_WLFPAK1
11-10-09, 08:34 PM
ok . the only way to get a tower upgrade is to be in port at the right time to be offerd it . not anytime after that. if you look at the sub chart that comes a sh4 bouns idems .it shows a few gato subs that are diff in color and have diff gun and tower layouts. do you not get this? or is the chart just to show the diff subs but have nothing to do with what u get to use in game.

i ask this because i would like to have gotten the 1943 gato conn tower. with the diff gun layout . im in the uss drum and would like to end the war with it. with what ever upgrades it was given during that time period.

i fully understand whats being said about getting a new sub. thats fine and all but not every skiper was given a new boat but was given upgrades or mods to the one he had. im just trying to see if that is done in game as well. maybe the drum never ended the war and so the capton was given a new sub type and thats how the game has it . im just trying to understand how the game does it and know what i get to do in it .

thxs tho for all the help and info on how the subs are.

OOZ662
11-11-09, 03:41 AM
i fully understand whats being said about getting a new sub. thats fine and all but not every skiper was given a new boat but was given upgrades or mods to the one he had. im just trying to see if that is done in game as well. maybe the drum never ended the war and so the capton was given a new sub type and thats how the game has it . im just trying to understand how the game does it and know what i get to do in it .

Everything's based on dates and a yes/no answer. If you say "no" to wanting a new sub, you keep it. Eventually after a certain date, the sub will get a new conning tower automatically. Upgrades become available on certain dates. If/When you install them is up to you. If you really wanted, you could ride an S-Class until VJ Day.

SirMoric
11-11-09, 03:36 PM
I have a problem.

I entered the harbour in Melbourne in my submarine, the USS Stringray, a Salmon Class submarine.

Then I was given an upgrade to the turret, which is fine by me. Furthermore given the choise to equip her with the twin 20 mm AA gun, an improved SD radar, a SJ radar, and ability to place deckgun on the fore deck of the sub.

If I place the gun on the fore deck, the people manning it will dissapear from the crew screen. Not that it matters much, I don't mind having it on the rear.

If I choose, and install, the SJ radar, it won't work at all when I leave the harbour. It's the 15. of september '42. Is there a specific dato this instrument will start working??

rgds