PDA

View Full Version : Video card woes?

SteamWake
11-06-09, 08:47 AM
Okay heres the deal.

Last night I downloaded and installed Dragon Age Origins.

Every thing went fine with only one interruption. The game installed fine and direct x 10 was installed as well.

Everything seemed fine I sat through the opening trailer and set out to create a charecter. I was messing around changing hair color and stuff when the game locked up with some green rectangles scattered about on the screen.

No biggy I figure reboot and start again....

Now there are green rectangles all over the screen(s) arranged in a zig zag pattern.

Before you ask yes latest drivers.

The green lines and rectangles appear even as POST and bios load :doh:

I tried a system restore, tried un-installing Dragon Age, tried re-seating and cleaning the video card. No change, lots of green rectangles covering the screen.

Something like this...

- - ---
- - - - - -
--- ---- ---

Is it possible that the game blew up my video card ? :damn:

NeonSamurai
11-06-09, 08:55 AM
Sounds like your card died. The game didn't do it itself, but it was probably the last nail which killed the card. Did the fan fail?

If its showing up while posting then its defiantly a hardware fault. My old Radeon 9800 died like that, screen went funny one day and it continued when i rebooted.

SteamWake
11-06-09, 09:27 AM
Well heres whats funny

At the post when the mobo logo is displayed the display is normal as soon as the bios starts to load thats when the green rectangles show up.

Now I cant find my old video card to swap out :doh:

SteamWake
11-06-09, 01:15 PM
Im picking up a new video card tonight.

ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR

Under a hundred bucks.

Thats quite a step up from my old x1800 512M ;).

Im sticking with ATI mainly because I dont want to have to fuss to much with drivers.

The card was almost 3 years old. Just outside warranty.. go figure :haha: