PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone know a book that list all ships sunk and Tonnage?

MK2
10-26-09, 11:22 PM
EDIT***********Sorry mods , I posted this in the wrong section. Please delete.

Anyone know a book (or website) that list all ships sunk and Tonnage for Sub Commanders of the United States?

I have the book Silent Victory but it list only those who had at least 5 sinkings (77 I believe).

I am doing some research for my autograph collection and could use a definitive reference

Torplexed
10-26-09, 11:57 PM
Clay Blair's book, Silent Victory has an appendix in the back that lists all patrols by boat and skipper, the days on patrols, the wartime sinking credit and the revised JANAC credit.

MK2
10-27-09, 12:21 AM
Clay Blair's book, Silent Victory has an appendix in the back that lists all patrols by boat and skipper, the days on patrols, the wartime sinking credit and the revised JANAC credit.

yes meant ot write silent victory and wrote silent service (must have the C64 game in my head), have it but as I mentioned, it only list 5 ships sunk or more...no other coomanders listed.

Torplexed
10-27-09, 12:32 AM
Near as I can tell Appendixes E & F lists all the patrols from 1941 to 45, even the Atlantic ones based in Scotland. It's all by tonnage instead by ship. (Needless to say, a lot of zero tonnage patrols are listed)

Sailor Steve
10-27-09, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Theodore Roscoe's History of United States Submarine Operations in World War II lists them all. The problem there is that it's an older book and contains some errors, most of which were corrected by Blair.

MK2
10-27-09, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty sure Theodore Roscoe's History of United States Submarine Operations in World War II lists them all. The problem there is that it's an older book and contains some errors, most of which were corrected by Blair.

Torplexed I need the commanders and tonnage sunk (all commanders regardless if they sunk under 5 ships etc).

Sailor Steve, thanks for the tip, found the book right away on Amazon and ordered it.

ColonelSandersLite
10-27-09, 02:02 PM
The postwar Joint Army-Navy Assessment Committee (JANAC) report. I believe that this copy is complete.
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Japan/IJN/JANAC-Losses/index.html

Though the sinkings listed are credited to ship each ship, not to the ships commander. If you really need the commander totals, you'd have to cross reference with another data source to get who commanded what and when.

The 25 best commanders are listed here with both wartime claims and JANAC totals.

http://www.valoratsea.com/skippers.htm