PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Groton, CT

jazman
10-09-09, 01:28 PM
I have a chance to go to Groton, CT, on business next week. I am going to assume the sub museum is well worth a visit? How long to go through it?

ETR3(SS)
10-09-09, 01:29 PM
It's well worth the visit. It's Located just outside of the SUBASE. As for how long it takes, last time I was there it was self guided. So it all depends on you.

jazman
10-09-09, 01:32 PM
Is a 4-hour visit good to get through much of it?

ETR3(SS)
10-09-09, 01:33 PM
Should be plenty of time. :up:

jazman
10-09-09, 01:35 PM
Thanks. The plans haven't firmed up, but I'm definitely trying to slice out a chunk to see this. How many times does one get to go there, on company coin? (yes, I'll pay for the extra night at the hotel myself)

Freiwillige
10-09-09, 01:48 PM
Don't forget to pack your camera!:O:

jazman
10-09-09, 02:34 PM
Looks like I'm going, and will have the first part of Saturday to go to the museum.

I'll take my camera, and post pictures after I get back.

ETR3(SS)
10-09-09, 03:25 PM
Yeah, definitely take pictures. They have a real CMoH there, can't remember whose it was though. For taking pictures, last time I was in there it was dark (was a cloudy day out as well) and most of the display are behind plexiglas. Take those into account and you should get out of there with some good pictures.

jazman
10-09-09, 06:59 PM
I'll make sure I get a picture of Obama's new CMoH for y'all.

(ducking and running...)

Armistead
10-09-09, 11:39 PM
I'll make sure I get a picture of Obama's new CMoH for y'all.

(ducking and running...)

Seeing that our nation is drowning in debt and our economy is sinking fast, I guess that picture would have it's place here.....along with Bush in his flight jacket....

jldjs
10-26-09, 06:36 PM
I was there in August this year and wondered on my own thru most if not all of it in less than 2 hours, which included walking thru the Nautilus outside and watching the film.

DaveyJ576
10-26-09, 07:52 PM
The only bad thing about visiting the Nautilus (and this is minor I will admit) is that you can not go aft of the control room/crews mess. Everything aft of that, including the reactor room and engine room is off limits. The core was removed long ago and thus poses no danger. But apparently there are still some elements of the 1950's reactor plant design that are classified so they have closed off that section of the boat to visitors. Too bad. I think that would be one of the most interesting parts!