10-09-09, 01:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYlk0YUaxPU&feature=related

:yeah:

Mopy
10-09-09, 02:22 AM
Not seen this before. Thanks for the post :up:

nikbear
10-09-09, 10:37 AM
Thanks for that,not seen it before,always thought he seemed to be a nice gent :salute:

Akula4745
10-09-09, 12:03 PM
Very interesting... thanks for sharing!

Hitman
10-09-09, 01:43 PM
This is one of the interviews that came bounded in ... Silent Hunter 2!!!! :D

But dargn it, wow I feeld old for being the only one who remembers that! :damn:

rik007
10-09-09, 01:54 PM

No, no Hitman, I remembered it as well. Of course with SH-2 there were the interview and consultancy activities of Erich Topp. They also interviewed another U-boat commander for SH3 (Type IX)- I'm to old to remember :haha: but will post when his names pops up. The project manager of SH3 was present at a subsim conf in Amsterdam and he told me that the U-boat commander was in his 80's but came to assemble the crew at the airport and was very bright for his age like smart Otto in his youth.

Hitman
10-09-09, 02:09 PM
Hey rik, good to know I'm not the only old one here :D

the commander who helped them with SH3 was Jürgen Östen: http://www.uboat.net/men/oesten.htm :up: I have all the video interviews with him that were made for the game in my HDD, and IIRC they are still available for download in the SH3 official web (Pity they only asked him general things they could have gotten elsewhere, instead of the technical details that will now be lost after such men die :cry:)

Freiwillige
10-09-09, 02:29 PM
Aces of the deep had some great interviews, hours it seems. Now who feels old?

gdogghenrikson
10-09-09, 07:32 PM

I was gunna say that, SH2 FTW

Freiwillige
10-09-09, 10:10 PM
"We went full speed ahead with the additions of the engines of the electric machine."

So you could run flank with diesels and get a few more knots out of it with the electric motors too on the surface?

rik007
10-10-09, 04:57 AM
Hey rik, good to know I'm not the only old one here :D

the commander who helped them with SH3 was Jürgen Östen: http://www.uboat.net/men/oesten.htm :up: I have all the video interviews with him that were made for the game in my HDD, and IIRC they are still available for download in the SH3 official web (Pity they only asked him general things they could have gotten elsewhere, instead of the technical details that will now be lost after such men die :cry:)

Yes, Östen! Indeed it is very pity that they asked those questions. They should have prepared themselves much better. But after all it was a kind of 'first attempt' and first research (after SH 1, AOD) after a long time from the moment the latest subsim was created. An experiment. I think they should have been able to get better info from Jurgen or Erich then.

Of course we all fantasize what it would have been like if for example Topp would play a mission in SH-5. Should he then become enthousiastic as he was more than 60 years ago? Unfortunately he passed away 91 years old and that I call real old.

Schroeder
10-10-09, 09:18 AM
So you could run flank with diesels and get a few more knots out of it with the electric motors too on the surface?
Yup.:salute:

Jimbuna
10-10-09, 10:30 AM
"We went full speed ahead with the additions of the engines of the electric machine."

Only ever done in extreme emergencies because if you needed to dive your electric pack was greatly diminished.