PDA

View Full Version : USS Scorpion Essay

Radtgaeb
10-02-09, 07:04 PM
Hey all,
Been a while since I've been on here, but I've come to look to you guys as a bit of an...academic resource, if you will. I'm doing an essay about the tragic loss of the USS Scorpion. My idea is to essentially do a report arguing against the claims of "Scorpion Down" by Ed Offley. The heart of the whole thing is an investigation into why people take tragic events and essentially make mockeries of them by making ridiculous conspiracy claims.

Do any of you know of any good books or webpages I could use as references. What would be even better is if anyone on this site has knowledge or has served in the US Navy (particularly a Skipjack class...keeping my fingers crossed that some old-timers are on here) were willing to allow me to do an interview of sorts over IM, PM, or Email. This could be of great use to me, because I have a feeling I'm going to want some info about how quiet they were, how good their sensors were, speed, etc...

Thank you all so much in advance for your help!

ETR3(SS)
10-02-09, 07:48 PM
Let me start by saying good luck on your essay, and a good choice as well. As far as tech info about the boat, I wouldn't expect more than what Wikipedia will tell you. Most of that stuff is still classified. But here's a website I reference a lot for modding. http://www.navsource.org/ and this one is good too, http://www.txoilgas.com/589.html talks all about the loss.

snakeyez
10-02-09, 11:04 PM
PM sent. I think I can put you in contact with some help.

Bill Nichols
10-03-09, 07:18 PM
Get "Silent Steel - The Mysterious Death of the Nuclear Attack Sub USS Scorpion," by Stephen Johnson. I recommend it highly.

Also, if you can find it, in the June 1999 issue of USNI Proceedings magazine:

"Real story of Scorpion? by C A K McDonald

McDonald presents what tabloids might call the "untold story" of the mysterious sinking of the US Navy submarine Scorpion. Now experts say that blame for the accident may have a warhead explosion inside the submarine.

And in the July 1998 issue of Proceedings:

"Why they called the Scorpion 'Scrapiron'," by Mark A Bradley
"During 1968, the US submarine Scorpion was lost and eventually found in pieces. Although the cause of the accident was never stated, it was probably due to inadequate design and poor fabrication methods."

:ping:

Marcantilan
10-04-09, 05:03 PM
and donīt forget checking "Blind Manīs Bluff".

Regards!

iambecomelife
10-05-09, 10:23 PM
I second that recommendation of "Silent Steel". In fact the author wrote an essay that examines (in part) the very topic you're focused on - the infatuation with ludicrously implausible explanations for the sinking (and disasters in general). I'll see if I can dig it up.

Best of luck with your assignment; it's a worthy topic. What angers me is how some conspiracy theorists exploit/mislead grieving families (who understandably cling to theories that offer hope their loved ones are alive). I've seen it with the loss of the "Gaul", several aircraft disasters, etc.

Prof
10-07-09, 05:11 AM
'Silent Steel' author Stephen Johnson has already done something like this and posted it online...check out this PDF:

http://www.terratol.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/Sinking_The_Myths.pdf

Radtgaeb
10-08-09, 08:49 AM
Thank you all for your support! Fishin' for that 'A' now! :salute:
Gotta say though, it's a little tedious when I'm listening and notating on an audiobook while reading text and checking out PDFs all at the same time.